Fruit - Weight Loss Question

Options
I know there is no 'magic' fruit, but I'm just curious what fruit most of you are eating to help with weight loss..

Replies

• Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Low sugar fruit, so mostly raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries. I do make an effort to avoid bananas because of the sugar. I know grapefruit is also great but I don't love it. I eat a lot of watermelon in the summer due to it's high water content so I can have a lot of food for few calories : ) Hope this helps a bit!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I eat strawberries everyday for breakfast during the week with lowfat cottage cheese. I also try to avoid bananas because of the carbs and sugar content. I'm not a big fan of apples but they are very good at keeping you full when losing weight. Waiting for the weather to warm up a bit more then I'm going to be buying lots of watermelon, love it and it's so good for you and low cal.
  • zdreamer
    zdreamer Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Being very carb sensitive, I eat very little fruit or I gain weight!!! It took many years to discover how I managed to eat watermelon for lunch and gain weight! But I wasn't mixing carbs, fats, proteins etc. Just depends on the person, I guess.
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    I don't really care about sugar at all. I just eat the fruit that I want. I love fresh pineapple. I buy one once a week. Strawberries, bananas, apples, love those two with peanut butter for a yummy snack.
  • donnakraus63
    donnakraus63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of blueberries as they are great antioxidants. Also love granny smith apples, they are tart and 80 calories for a medium. My goal is to get the most bang for the buck so to speak. Strawberries are another low cal choice. Be sure to be specific when looking things up in MFP, ex: large whole strawberries. A packed cup of sliced is different than a cup of whole because of the air space.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Although I am a newbie here.... I hear what you all are saying about bananas, but I have to say, when I am hungary after a workout, nothing tastes better to me or is as satisfying as a banana.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever fruits sounds delicious and fit into my calories and macro goals. Apples, grapes, berries, pineapple, even BANANA (gasp!).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat all kinds of fruit...strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, bananas, apples, oranges, etc. I don't eat them to "help with weight loss"...I eat them for their nutritional profiles. Berries and most citrus are a good source of soluble fiber which helps the body remove bad cholesterol...they're also antioxidant rich among other things. An apple a day is my afternoon energy booster...also lots of other nutritional properties. I love a banana post workout when I need to potassium hit to help with muscle soreness and a good carb source to aid in protein synthesis.

Just meet your macro and calorie goals and you'll be fine.
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Some great replies here.. Thank you all
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit, it is supposedly the magic fruit that burns calories :D google it.
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Pssshhh . . .bananas aren't bad--they have potassium which helps with muscle cramps. . . .
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Although I am a newbie here.... I hear what you all are saying about bananas, but I have to say, when I am hungary after a workout, nothing tastes better to me or is as satisfying as a banana.

Bananas are key post weight workout, in addition to a protein source, as the banana is the vehicle that carries your protein to your muscles. ie, whey protein shake with banana blended together.

Bananas are also rich in potassium which balances the fluids in your muscles and prevents cramping in hot, humid weather. (Picture Maria Sharapova eating her bananas on the side of the court during major tournaments.)

But it's true that they're high in sugar and over 100 cals per banana, so if you were watching your carbs, you might not want to eat 12 of them per day.
  • mbanfield13
    mbanfield13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes, apples...I used to have a problem with overeating after dinner and now I just pop in some frozen grapes and I feel full and happy :)
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love all the posts about the fruit you should or should not eat. However I see that no one has mentioned that yes fruit has sugar but, it is a natural sugar. Our bodies digest it better than processed or simple sugars. So I eat my fruit, but in moderation. a bowl of strawberries are good but a bushel is not.
  • unnur16
    unnur16 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i eat one apple everyday, and then i eat alot of fresh pinapple, mango and watermellon =)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I know there is no 'magic' fruit, but I'm just curious what fruit most of you are eating to help with weight loss..

Raspberries by the pound for their fat destroying ketones
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    The ones that taste good and fit into my cal/macros for the day.
  • melaniecmajors
    melaniecmajors Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Google low GI fruits and eat those anytime. This will keep your insulin spikes low. Pineapple is great for digestion. I would eat most fruit that is NOT low GI at night as dessert.
  • melaniecmajors
    melaniecmajors Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Pssshhh . . .bananas aren't bad--they have potassium which helps with muscle cramps. . . .

...and balance out sodium intake!
  • KylieJordan16
    KylieJordan16 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Grapes, cuties, strawberries, apples etc. I love fruit!!
    Oh, I also have a banana every single day for my mid-morning snack..22lbs down so far!

*typo :)