Gall stones and Gluten Free

Options
I have recently found out I have a gluten intolerance, as well as gall stones. They are looking to remove my gall bladder, but in the time being, I need help on my diet. It's hard enough to incorporate a gluten free lifestyle, now a low fat one? I mean, I've been watching what I eat as I'm trying to lose weight, but things that I consider staples in my diet are no longer an option. Dairy.....cheese/yogurt, certain meats, salads (i LOVE my village Greek salad, and now cannot eat the feta cheese.) I just need some help here

Replies

• fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi there, how low fat are you trying to be, how many grams per day?
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    gallstones are a real problem. gluten intolerance is usually in your head, so stick with the low-fat diet for the gallstones.
  • abcdmomof2
    abcdmomof2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    "gallstones are a real problem. gluten intolerance is usually in your head, so stick with the low-fat diet for the gallstones. "

Unfortunately, this isn't the case. Celiac Disease runs in the family. It was always thought to be anxiety/IBS and since I've stopped eating gluten, it's all stopped. I was sent for MRI's, CAT Scans, everything you could think of. I lost control of the left side of my body, I developed a stutter, I would have dizzy spells and anxiety attacks, and IBS on top of all of it.....and in the last 2 months, they've all stopped.

As far as how low?? I'm not sure, unfortunately the Dr's didn't give me an amount, just advised me to stay away from fatty foods.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yikes, this presents a challenge!

Well, for breakfast you could have GF oats with sliced apple and cinnamon.

Mid morning snack could be some veggies and hummus.

Lunch could be a big old salad with some chicken, berries, and fat free dressing. A fat free yogurt to follow.

Afternoon snack could be some edamame or popcorn.

Supper could be a stir fry (homemade sauce) and some rice.

There are lots of pretty good GF options in the supermarkets now, I personally love spelt bread and there are these GF chocolate chip cookies in a yellow package (name escapes me at the moment) that are to die for.

I always find that when trying to make a couple of big dietary changes at a time it's easier to put your effort in to one at a time. So while they may not be the absolute healthiest, maybe you concentrate on low fat and use a lot of GF pre-packaged foods for now.

Good luck to you.....
  • Mazzyx
    Mazzyx Posts: 131
    Options
    How are you with raw onion?? Sounds silly I know, but my Nan had gall stones and was told to do low fat and also to avoid raw onion!
    fattyFoodie makes some great suggestions. As for the dairy... thought about soya based products?
    xx
  • abcdmomof2
    abcdmomof2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Ok first of all I'm a celiac gluten intolerance is a serious thing can lead to major stomach problems and cancer if not taken seriously! If you suspect you have intolerance I would get tested! Gluten is a common allergy and can lead to a lot of problems! For women who suffer with PCOS are most likely ciliac a or gluten intolerance!

Oh and let me add my aunt for example was told she would have to get her gall bladder out she didn't take that as a option at all she went to a holistic dr turned her diet around and eliminated gluten and took natural supplements issued by this dr and her gall stones dissolved completely leaving her primary med dr boggled