More BMR vs TDEE confusion

Options
Hello all. I've combed through quite a bit of articles and walls of text on multiple sites and forums looking into the difference between BMR and TDEE, and how it all relates to weight loss. I've found out quite a few new things, but I still need a little help to see if I am on the right track.

A little about me - Male, 180lbs, about 5' 9", pretty sedentary lifestyle (desk job, fair amount of walking around). According to a lot of sites, my BMR sits somewhere between 1720-1830 (myfitness pal says 1792). Those various sites also list my TDEE as being around 2150-2250.

Here is where confusion has settled in - My diet has been set at 1500 cals/day, with my macros at 50/30/20 (protein, carbs, fat). Aside from the past week or so I have been doing pretty well in meeting those goals, with sometimes going under on calories. My original weight was 204, and I decided to make a lot of changes, and went on this diet (myfitnesspal has been a TREMENDOUS resource). I started a diet in february or so, but wasn't logging anything or tracking food, just making better choices. So I've seen weight loss since, but I'm really starting to question my diet right now. I've hit what I'm assuming is my 1st big plateau at 180lbs (lowest was 178). I've noticed some slimming for sure, but really I still have a fair amount of work to do. Currently I am working hard on getting a consistent exercise schedule for myself, hoping that will push me past this wall (before I really didn't exercise much at all).

Finally to my question for you all - is the track I'm on unhealthy? I routinely finish under 1500 cals (i'm the type of person who sees 1500 as a goal/maximum for some reason), and although I don't see a big loss in energy or appetite, I am starting to worry over a longer period of time I will not be eating enough and will create problems for myself. I'm now considering keeping the same macros and moving my daily goal up to ~1750 since I intend on exercising 4-5 times a week. Is this a better course of action? I know there are a lot of conversations on the forums related to this, but I just need a little helpful advice right now.

EDIT - I forgot to mention my goal is about 165 lbs and to see a decent loss in body fat %. I estimate I am around 18% right now

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at least at your BMR. Your metabolism will slow down and hold on to fat if you eat below that for an extended period. I am a litttle heavier than you (189) and I NET 2100 per day. Also, I have my macros set at 1g protein for each pound of lean mass (weight x %bf) .35g per pound of body weight and the rest whatever. I have lost 31 pounds since Jan 2. I do exercise and lift, but I eat ALL of those calories back. Hope this helps.
  • iChroma
    iChroma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at least at your BMR. Your metabolism will slow down and hold on to fat if you eat below that for an extended period. I am a litttle heavier than you (189) and I NET 2100 per day. Also, I have my macros set at 1g protein for each pound of lean mass (weight x %bf) .35g per pound of body weight and the rest whatever. I have lost 31 pounds since Jan 2. I do exercise and lift, but I eat ALL of those calories back. Hope this helps.

That does help, thank you. I never really looked into before today and "don't eat below your bmr" is all over almost everything I read. I got pretty caught up in the weight I was losing with just eating less/better, but it does explain why my body fat isn't decreasing much. I am lifting 3 times a week, and will be doing cardio/abs 2 times a week minimum.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    A 20% deficit off your TDEE would put you right around your BMR. Make sure you net that after exercise, unless that TDEE number already includes it.
  • kgavins25
    kgavins25 Posts: 24
    Options
    Could that be my issue also. My BMR is 1600. But calculating my TDEE-20% at sedentary its at 1540. So i try to eat 1540 plus workout calories. I usually burn 580 riding my bike to gym and lifting weights about 3-4 times a week. I actually gained a pound this month, being a new routine. Should i give it more time, am i eating too much, not enough? Is it ok to save those extra burned cals for weekends? By the way, my fat percentage went up over the last couple of months... does that mean im not eating often enough, or im not eating at the correct macros, or not eating enough period?
  • CM9178
    Options
    Could that be my issue also. My BMR is 1600. But calculating my TDEE-20% at sedentary its at 1540. So i try to eat 1540 plus workout calories. I usually burn 580 riding my bike to gym and lifting weights about 3-4 times a week. I actually gained a pound this month, being a new routine. Should i give it more time, am i eating too much, not enough? Is it ok to save those extra burned cals for weekends? By the way, my fat percentage went up over the last couple of months... does that mean im not eating often enough, or im not eating at the correct macros, or not eating enough period?
    How much do you have left to lose?
    Nevermind, if your ticker is correct, I see it is 30 lbs to lose.
    I am similar to you, I was eating at tdee - 20% for a long time, which was under my BMR. Eventually my weight loss stalled for 3 months.

My BMR works out to about a 17% deficit. I started eating at that number less than two weeks ago and I've already lost 2.2
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OK I am confused now. MFP says that my BMR is 1435, but tells me to eat 1280 calories a day (plus exercise calories).

Which is right?

(I am not losing any weight at the moment - nothing since 1st April - so wonder if I am actually doing something wrong).
  • CM9178
    Options
    OK I am confused now. MFP says that my BMR is 1435, but tells me to eat 1280 calories a day (plus exercise calories).

Which is right?

(I am not losing any weight at the moment - nothing since 1st April - so wonder if I am actually doing something wrong).
    MFP does not tell you what your BMR is (I don't think?)
    It shows you "calories burned from daily activity". That is your TDEE number.
    It will calculate your deficit based on what you set it to lose (1 lb per week, 2 lbs per week). You may have that set too high.
  • iChroma
    iChroma Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Which is right?

It will calculate your deficit based on what you set it to lose (1 lb per week, 2 lbs per week). You may have that set too high.

There is an app on here that calculates your BMR (under the Apps tab at the top).

Thanks for your input! I see your posts in different threads, thank you for being so helpful to everyone. I'm starting to get the feeling if you aren't sure between eating at BMR or a %off from TDEE that is under BMR, the safest route is just to pick BMR.
  • CM9178
    Options

Which is right?

There is an app on here that calculates your BMR (under the Apps tab at the top).

Thanks for your input! I see your posts in different threads, thank you for being so helpful to everyone. I'm starting to get the feeling if you aren't sure between eating at BMR or a %off from TDEE that is under BMR, the safest route is just to pick BMR.
    If the deficit you are selecting puts you under your BMR, then you should eat at a smaller deficit or just at BMR.
  • luziferl
    luziferl Posts: 82
    Options
    this is soooo confusing!!

when calculating my BMR it says i have a BMR of 1570. however, i am only eating 1200 kcals a day, plus about half of my activity points. is this not enough??? i am really confused :(
  • CM9178
    Options
    Ahh right, that calculator includes body fat percentage.. most of the other calculators you can do without body fat, since it is pretty hard to calculate it without a skin caliper. MFP is most likely going to give a little bit lower BMR number than the other calculators out there.
  • CM9178
    Options

when calculating my BMR it says i have a BMR of 1570. however, i am only eating 1200 kcals a day, plus about half of my activity points. is this not enough??? i am really confused :(
    Age, height, current weight, activity level?
  • FrankieB127
    FrankieB127 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Okay...I'm new to MFP and don't know what BMR and TDEE stand for.....could someone please explain?
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Such a numbers game. I went up to 1700 calories for a few weeks after not losing since November and still didn't lose anything, so I brought my cals back down!
  • CM9178
    Options
    Okay...I'm new to MFP and don't know what BMR and TDEE stand for.....could someone please explain?
    BMR is basic metabolic rate - pretty much how many calories your body needs when in a coma.
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure - how many calories you burn during regular daily activity.

Ideally, you should eat somewhere between your BMR and TDEE number in order to lose weight the healthy way.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Such a numbers game. I went up to 1700 calories for a few weeks after not losing since November and still didn't lose anything, so I brought my cals back down!
    A few weeks may not be long enough - it depends how long you were eating too low. Your body may take longer than that to fix your metabolism. Give it a month or two before switching back.
    OR, 1700 may still be too low for you..
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have had success temporarily increasing their calorie intake when they hit a plateau. I will adjust my goals to maintain for a week or so every 15 pounds or so. ( right now it is at -.5lb a week.)

Are you eating back what exercise calories you have?
    I suggest getting a pedomoter and work toward a 10,000 step a day goal.
  • luziferl
    luziferl Posts: 82
    Options

I'm 22, 5'9'', 159 lbs and my activity level is sedentary :)
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1370 and my TDEE based on moderate exercise is 2000 per day. I try to stay at about 1450-1500 calories per day total. So to make it work on MFP, I set my net calories at 1200 but then I eat my most of exercise calories. Works out to me staying at my goal of 1450-1500 calories per day.

All in all, to lose weight, you should eat your TDEE - 20%.
  • CM9178
    Options

I'm 22, 5'9'', 159 lbs and my activity level is sedentary :)
    Ok, I probably used a different calculator than you, but I got BMR of 1561 which is pretty close to your number.
    I also got a TDEE of 1873 at sedentary.
    How much you need to lose will determine how much of deficit you should eat at.
    A 20% deficit would be 1498
    A 15% deficit would be 1593
    A 10% deficit would be 1685

If you are eating at 1200, that is more than a 35% deficit. Plus, you are only eating back half of your exercise calories!
    You definitely are not eating enough.
    Try slowing increasing (like 100 calories per week) up to at least 1500 calories, and eat back ALL of your exercise calories burned.

I forgot to mention, you really want to try to eat above your BMR, so in the long run, try to get up to around 1560.
    P.S. - my numbers are almost identical to yours.