Being sationed in Hawii

Options
meeper123
meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
My husband and i are being stationed there in 2 months I am very nervous I have never gone through a Pcs before and I m clueless on what I need to be doing.... Anyone live on Oʻahu, Hawaii thats where we are going. How is it?

Damn wont let me fix the title my keyboard needs air dusted

Replies

• meeper123
    Options
    Oh looking for amy wife friends or anyone from there would be awesome :D
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no help to you at all, just popping in to say I was born on Oahu :smile:
  • JessicaDumont2
    JessicaDumont2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a navy wife. :) but not stationed in Hawaii.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Absolutely no help to you at all, just popping in to say I was born on Oahu :smile:

thats awsome :D
  • epershand25
    Options
    Oahu is wonderful! My husband (USMC) and I love it here. Do you know where you'll be stationed? Different parts of the island have lots to offer. :)
  • meeper123
    Options
    I'm a navy wife. :) but not stationed in Hawaii.

:) still add me if you want we all gotta stick togther its hard no matter what branch
  • meeper123
    Options
    Oahu is wonderful! My husband (USMC) and I love it here. Do you know where you'll be stationed? Different parts of the island have lots to offer. :)

only clue I have is Schofield barracks :D
  • meeper123
    Options
    Our orders arent in yet but everything else is I am having a near panic attack trying to get our dog ready I didnt know we where leaving til 2 weeks ago
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Wow, your luck is as bad as mine.

My parents moved back when I was 3, no memory of it at all.

And you are moving to Oahu and will be the furthers point possible from the ocean :laugh:
    (like 8 miles in every direction, POOR you)
  • meeper123
    Options
    Wow, your luck is as bad as mine.

My parents moved back when I was 3, no memory of it at all.

And you are moving to Oahu and will be the furthers point possible from the ocean :laugh:
    (like 8 miles in every direction, POOR you)

lol well best get better at running so I can go see it lol :)
  • epershand25
    Options
    Schofield is nice! I have a friend who works at the MWR Outdoor Recreation there. Here's a couple websites you might find helpful:

http://hawaiimilitarypets.com/
    Hawaii is VERY strict about incoming animals, since rabies does not exist in Hawaii. Check out this site for a very good article on how to prepare your pup for the plane ride and such. Make sure all his/her vaccinations are completely up to date, and have all the paperwork proving such. Sometimes pets have to stay in quarantine for a few days to ensure they are in good health, but the kennels they keep the animals in are in really good condition (I know some people who actually board their pets there occasionally).
    Here's some more info on the process of quarantine. Hawaii has a program called Five Days or Less for quarantines, and they include a checklist. As long as you follow all the directions to the letter, your pet will either be released to you at the airport, or held for up to five days. If you don't follow all the requirements, they can quarantine your dog for up to three months. http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/faq-for-five-day-or-less-program/

Here's the MWR website for Schofield and the Army, where you can find info on fun things to do, and what Schofield has to offer! When you get here, I can give you info about Outdoor Rec too, if you're interested in renting kayaks, surfboards, canoes, etc. :)
    http://www.himwr.com/

Here are two blogs that you might find helpful if this is your first PCS! I know it can be scary and seem rushed, but don't worry- everything will go fine. :)
    http://pcshawaii.wordpress.com/
    http://armywife101.com/2010/10/pcsing-to-hawaii-faqs-schofield-barracks-housing.html

Feel free to add me or send me a note if you have any questions! I am no expert, being pretty new to military spouse life myself, but I'm more than happy to help you find answers. Good luck! And just think, in a couple months you'll be chilling at the beach! :)
  • meeper123
    Options
    Schofield is nice! I have a friend who works at the MWR Outdoor Recreation there. Here's a couple websites you might find helpful:

http://hawaiimilitarypets.com/
    Hawaii is VERY strict about incoming animals, since rabies does not exist in Hawaii. Check out this site for a very good article on how to prepare your pup for the plane ride and such. Make sure all his/her vaccinations are completely up to date, and have all the paperwork proving such. Sometimes pets have to stay in quarantine for a few days to ensure they are in good health, but the kennels they keep the animals in are in really good condition (I know some people who actually board their pets there occasionally).
    Here's some more info on the process of quarantine. Hawaii has a program called Five Days or Less for quarantines, and they include a checklist. As long as you follow all the directions to the letter, your pet will either be released to you at the airport, or held for up to five days. If you don't follow all the requirements, they can quarantine your dog for up to three months. http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/faq-for-five-day-or-less-program/

Here's the MWR website for Schofield and the Army, where you can find info on fun things to do, and what Schofield has to offer! When you get here, I can give you info about Outdoor Rec too, if you're interested in renting kayaks, surfboards, canoes, etc. :)
    http://www.himwr.com/

Here are two blogs that you might find helpful if this is your first PCS! I know it can be scary and seem rushed, but don't worry- everything will go fine. :)
    http://pcshawaii.wordpress.com/
    http://armywife101.com/2010/10/pcsing-to-hawaii-faqs-schofield-barracks-housing.html

Feel free to add me or send me a note if you have any questions! I am no expert, being pretty new to military spouse life myself, but I'm more than happy to help you find answers. Good luck! And just think, in a couple months you'll be chilling at the beach! :)

thank you thanks you thank you this is so awesome i sent a request :D You just saved my life I cant use google atm my comp is being weird I am running virus scans
  • epershand25
    Options
    I'm trying to think of things I'd wish I had known to expect when I moved here, so here's a random list, lol!

-Traffic here is INSANE. Yes, you might be a few miles from a beach or a restaurant, but depending on the time of day, it can take a good 30-60 minutes to get anywhere.

-I expected Oahu to be kind of slow and sleepy and sunny, but really it's extremely touristy. That's not a bad thing because there's so much to do here, but expect dense populations and crowds, especially close to Honolulu. The more calm and rural parts of the island are on the Northern and Eastern sides.

-Some beaches are better than others! I like North Shore and the military beaches at Pearl Harbor/Hickam and Bellows Air Force Base- they are less crowded. :)

-If you're going into military housing, you'll probably be going through a company called Forest City. I haven't had any problems in dealing with them- they're pretty helpful. Finding a place to rent on your own is going to be fairly expensive, and I've known people who had a very difficult time finding a place that allowed pets. Make sure to factor in the lengthy commute times and (often) limited parking availability, too.

-Everything here is SUPER expensive! Haha it's almost ridiculous. Basically, even for groceries, double the price of anything on "the mainland" (which is what everyone here calls the rest of the States lol). Milk is $6-$8 a gallon, gas is about $4.20/gallon right now. However, there's lots of cheap or free things to do around here, like beach activities, camping, museums, botanical gardens, and such. :)
  • epershand25
    Options
    Almost forgot! Search Facebook for a group called "Schofield Barracks Pet Page" for support and info for pet owners, and there's a Schofield Barracks page and Schofield Commissary page as well that could probably give you some good starters. :)
  • meeper123
    Options
    I'm trying to think of things I'd wish I had known to expect when I moved here, so here's a random list, lol!

-Traffic here is INSANE. Yes, you might be a few miles from a beach or a restaurant, but depending on the time of day, it can take a good 30-60 minutes to get anywhere.

-I expected Oahu to be kind of slow and sleepy and sunny, but really it's extremely touristy. That's not a bad thing because there's so much to do here, but expect dense populations and crowds, especially close to Honolulu. The more calm and rural parts of the island are on the Northern and Eastern sides.

-Some beaches are better than others! I like North Shore and the military beaches at Pearl Harbor/Hickam and Bellows Air Force Base- they are less crowded. :)

-If you're going into military housing, you'll probably be going through a company called Forest City. I haven't had any problems in dealing with them- they're pretty helpful. Finding a place to rent on your own is going to be fairly expensive, and I've known people who had a very difficult time finding a place that allowed pets. Make sure to factor in the lengthy commute times and (often) limited parking availability, too.

-Everything here is SUPER expensive! Haha it's almost ridiculous. Basically, even for groceries, double the price of anything on "the mainland" (which is what everyone here calls the rest of the States lol). Milk is $6-$8 a gallon, gas is about $4.20/gallon right now. However, there's lots of cheap or free things to do around here, like beach activities, camping, museums, botanical gardens, and such. :)

everything is expensive here in Alaska as well but what can you do right? We will def live on post if they allow pets if not then we are kind of screwed we wont go anywere without our little dog. I have never seen the ocean nor has my hubby so that will be exciting and omg they actually have a mall there!!! the one here has I kid you not 3 stores. I am really excited :D and scared lol
  • meeper123
    Options
    Almost forgot! Search Facebook for a group called "Schofield Barracks Pet Page" for support and info for pet owners, and there's a Schofield Barracks page and Schofield Commissary page as well that could probably give you some good starters. :)

Thanks! :D
  • meeper123
    Options
    The housing looks great
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's been a while, but you should be here by now. If you haven't already, bring your dog down to the Hickam Dog Beach sometime. If you're on the road that goes to the regular Hickam Beach/Marina/Sam Choy's/Golf Course, before you get that far you'll see an old chapel on the left, and a bunch of old vintage housing on the right. There are also big old black batteries. Pull in there during low tide, and park along the beach at the tree line. Just be careful for the acacia thorns in the parking area....though the sand is nice and soft. There is almost always someone else there with a dog too, especially on the weekends, though it doesn't get particularly crowded. When the tide is out, there is a lot of sandy area for the dogs to run around, and the water gets very low and calm so they can run around. It's not fenced in, but it is off leash, so if your dog is good with commands, try bringing them down some day! :D