How rigid are you/should you be with macros?

Options
My goals are 50% fat, 35% protein, 15% carbs. No wheat or grains of any kind, but occasional potatoes. MFP give me a much higher sugar allotment than I actually get. Today, 12g out of an allotted 31g. And the sugar I do get is mostly from dairy.

Edit: oops, I do usually hit my sugar allotment... I forgot about the small serving of dried fruit & nut mix I've been having the past few days. So it put my sugar consumption and allotment spot-on.

Some days I fall short of fat and go over on protein; some days I fall short on protein and go over on fat; carbs are usually with a percentage point or three. On most days all macros are within a percentage point or three. But today, for example, fat is 43% and protein is 40%. I know this is probably sweating the small stuff, but I'm curious about other folks' take on it. How horrible is that kind of varying?

Replies

• StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    My normal macros when not on a tight budget is 29% carbs 26% fat and 45% protein carbs only being natural sugar carbs grape fruit lol and no I don't put sugar on it! I never eat bread or starches but occasional half cup of brown rice or half sweet potato being I am a celiac
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My goals are 50% fat, 35% protein, 15% carbs. No wheat or grains of any kind, but occasional potatoes. MFP give me a much higher sugar allotment than I actually get. Today, 12g out of an allotted 31g. And the sugar I do get is mostly from dairy.

Edit: oops, I do usually hit my sugar allotment... I forgot about the small serving of dried fruit & nut mix I've been having the past few days. So it put my sugar consumption and allotment spot-on.

Some days I fall short of fat and go over on protein; some days I fall short on protein and go over on fat; carbs are usually with a percentage point or three. On most days all macros are within a percentage point or three. But today, for example, fat is 43% and protein is 40%. I know this is probably sweating the small stuff, but I'm curious about other folks' take on it. How horrible is that kind of varying?

I believe overall intake is more important, but your macros do play a secondary role. At the end of the day, there's no denying that calories in vs. calories out are responsible for whether you lose weight or gain weight, but macros can influence the nature of that weight (ie fat or muscle).
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My normal macros when not on a tight budget is 29% carbs 26% fat and 45% protein carbs only being natural sugar carbs grape fruit lol and no I don't put sugar on it! I never eat bread or starches but occasional half cup of brown rice or half sweet potato being I am a celiac

I don't eat wheat anymore because I'm convinced I'm gluten intolerant. I've never been tested for celiac, but when I eat wheat I get all the symptoms. When I stay off wheat, they go away. Oh yeah, I'll occasionally have brown rice and sweet potatoes too.
  • Thorbjornn
    Options

I believe overall intake is more important, but your macros do play a secondary role. At the end of the day, there's no denying that calories in vs. calories out are responsible for whether you lose weight or gain weight, but macros can influence the nature of that weight (ie fat or muscle).

Yeah, this is pretty much what I thought. I needed confirmation. Thanks. :smile:
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm not rigid with them. The numbers really are not all that important. A little over, a little under is going to be fine.

I do not eat grains or starchy foods, eat only unprocessed foods. I eat my healthy foods & really don't worry about the macros. The numbers at the end of the day vary but fat is always highest followed by protein, then carbs.
  • Thorbjornn
    Options
    Awesome, I'm on the same page. :smile:
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Your macro values are on the extreme size.. 15% of carbs is super low. 50% of fat is never a good idea IMO but if it's working for you than awesome. I eat almost the inverse..of your split with carbs and fat.. more like 40-45% carbs and 20-25% fat.. The less extreme your balance is the easier it will be to comply.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm not rigid with them. The numbers really are not all that important. A little over, a little under is going to be fine.

I do not eat grains or starchy foods, eat only unprocessed foods. I eat my healthy foods & really don't worry about the macros. The numbers at the end of the day vary but fat is always highest followed by protein, then carbs.

Following your macros is more a body comp issue not a "healthy living" issue

Also fat grams are the highest amount of calories per gram
  • Thorbjornn
    Options
    Your macro values are on the extreme size.. 15% of carbs is super low. 50% of fat is never a good idea IMO but if it's working for you than awesome. I eat almost the inverse..of your split with carbs and fat.. more like 40-45% carbs and 20-25% fat.. The less extreme your balance is the easier it will be to comply.

I'm leaning (no pun intended) towards Primal, hence the lower carbs and higher fat. I've tried a keto diet with carbs at 5%, but that is really hard to maintain for a lifetime.
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You'll find that the primal and paleo approaches to eating tend to yield the best results. I lost more weight quickly taking a paleo approach to eating. It does take some getting used to.

Shawn
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm not very fussy about my marcos - in the sense that if I go over then I accept it - I do try and stick to it, but I also know the food I am eating is decent, wholesome and not particularly artificial. I wouldn't say it's paleo (I'm researching that though) but I'm definitely swaying towards eliminating the processed elements out of my previous diet, which was frankly terrible. The elevated sugar macro is usually due to banana's, which I eat prior to the gym.
  • mssgeni
    mssgeni Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my macros 40% protein/40% carbs/20% fat, but that rarely happens. I still check them though to see where I'm at... if I ate too much carbs I'll eat more protein, etc.