How much do you spend each week on groceries?

Options

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    About $100-150 a week for myself.
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I also run a daycare of average 4 kids per day and have three teenagers plus husband. To feed everyone healthy and nutritious is $300 per week. Seems like I also live in one of the most expensive places on earth to live. Silicon Valley, Ca.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    What an excellent question! I have always wondered if I was spending entirely too much. But my husband and I (no kids) spend about $100 a week as well.
  • daniellegauthier2790
    Options
    For me and my boyfriend we spend about 100-120 a week (he eats a lot) but like every 3 weeks we will skip a weekend because we have enough food for that week. So about 300-360 a month.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    30 to 50 a week just for me or 40 to 80 a week for me and the boyfriend. Sometimes we'll bump that up to $100 to include treats like cookies and icecream.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm on the high end - I spend around 300-500 per week on groceries (myself, husband, 4 kids, and 2 large dogs). I use coupons, mostly cook at home for breakfast and dinner, but we do a combo of packed lunches and eating out. The dogs weigh about 100lbs each, so they eat quite a bit also.
  • absmith_
    absmith_ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just did this yesterday! I plan a months worth of meals, down to what sides and stuff. Make a grocery list for 30 days, and do one huge shopping trip, getting toilet paper and everything. Spent under 300 dollars yesterday for a full 30 days of meals. No coupons since it's Aldi.
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    on food only i spend around 100£ a week for just two of us. any other household stuff and cat food adds more.
    i try to save buying cheaper cuts of meat - pork leg or shoulder instead of loin, whole chicken or chicken thighs instead of breasts. all the braising cuts like beef brisket, pork belly, lamb neck. oxtail etc.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Probably about $100 for my family of three and two pets. I budget $100-150 a week but that includes non-food items like toiletries, laundry soap, etc.
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I really liked this thread because of the commitment to pets and their food. Kudos to the MFP community for taking care of our pets! I spend about $100.00 per week for two adults, a 16 year old son, and two cats. We eat out on the weekend twice a month usually. I take my lunch and snacks to school, the boy eats lunch at school, and my fiancee is on his own for lunch, I don't factor that into our food budget. $100 a week seems to be a a resounding average.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Geez, where do you all shop? I have a spouse & 2 children (ages 8 & 14) and I spend at LEAST $200 per week; I'm not a coupon user.... We eat out about 2-4 meals per month and my kids typically do not bring lunch to school (my husband & I do bring lunch to work). I'm certainly not shopping the most expensive store in town.... Our kids eat what we eat. I think I need to get some pointers from some of you!

I could easily do that but we are on a tight budget. I shop at Costco, Safeway, and Fresh & Easy. I utilize their sales, club sales, online club coupons, printable coupons, and mailer coupons to get the most bang for my buck. I haven't gotten into using manufacture coupons mostly because I don't have the time and don't buy a lot of name brand processed foods.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    $100 - $200 just on myself. It cost a lot eating 5 - 6 meals a day and trying to purchase everything organic.

Geez, me too. I can spend $100 easily in one trip to Whole Foods.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    sticker shock going from nevada to california we spend probably $150 or so a week.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You pay now.....or you pay later!
  • chelseachelsea1991
    chelseachelsea1991 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    $25 a week for me. However, my friend sometimes swipes me into the dining hall on campus and I also work at a restaurant. Definitely helps keep things inexpensive :)
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    £600 a month, me & 2 teens, that's without eating out. They're both growing so quickly, though hope it evens out soon. Costing me a small fortune in food, clothes, shoes.. *sigh*

Morrisons (UK only?) is the cheapest supermarket, I think.
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    Its around $200 a week for my family of five. Some weeks it may be a little more or less depending if there are going to be sleep overs. :happy:
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    With a total of 6 people in the house we spend at least $150 to $200 a week. I may spend a little more. We don't keep exact track. My kids eat a lot protein and fresh fruit. So definitely not cheap.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Too much just for me, (and the stuff others in the house people swipe from me), especially when I'm not working and trying to make due with what I have left in the bank and unemployment right now, as well as going to school full time. It's hard trying to get healthier food cause lets face it, it costs more.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    $60-80 a day. I shop for what we need daily. Most of that goes on my damn chobani though