Any SUBSTANTIAL Food That Doesn't Make You Gain Fat?

Options
I've read some health articles about studies, and two foods that I can remember some articles saying you can eat without it making you gain weight are grapefruits and almonds.

The articles about the grapefruit make it sound like eating them will actually make you lose more weight than if you didn't eat them, but what's frustrating is that those articles (at least the ones I've read) don't clearly state whether the grapefruits caused weight loss because it made the people less hungry and eat less of other food, or whether the people actually didn't decrease their calorie intake of other foods and still lost weight after adding grapefruits to their diet.

The site about almonds said that men can eat 2 handfuls of almonds per day without gaining weight. To me, that makes it sound like you don't have to decrease your intake of other foods to eat those almonds, and you won't gain weight from the almonds, ...but it is hard to believe that some foods have calories that don't "count."

I have had pre-diabetes in the past, and I've read a lot of articles saying that eating half a grapefruit before a meal 3 times per day will help decrease insulin resistance and prevent pre-diabetes or diabetes (due to its effect on blood sugar or insulin levels after the meal), so I'd like to eat 1.5 grapefruits a day, but it would be awesome if I didn't have to count those calories because I love eating, and it's difficult already to maintain a calorie deficit. It would also be nice to eat a handful of almonds every day or every few days without having to count them because of their great health benefits, but I don't think I can get myself to eat any if I have to count them because they don't taste that good to me and so I wouldn't want to replace some other food for them.

Do any of you eat some foods (substantial, not like gum, etc.), like grapefruit or almonds, that you feel doesn't make you gain weight and that you therefore don't have to count? If so, what are they, how much do you eat of it, and how often?

Replies

• phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    calories are calories. eat over your TDEE in ANY food and you're gaining weight. period.
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I WISH that were true about grapefruits and almonds! I eat grapefruit almost daily but it's not because of a diet fad. I love it with yogurt and it is always on sale at our local Amish grocery store. Almonds I love but almost always eat them in 1/2 serving increments. I do believe that calories as a whole are not created equal, and I think you will be healthier and maybe even fitter eating fruits/veggies/lean meats/etc rather than processed foods and oreos, but that's just my own personal belief. In the grand scheme though - calories in vs calories out. I don't believe there are "free" foods.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah it would be nice if it was true, but it's a myth, sorry.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I read once that you could construct a contraction that when operated could move you backwards in time!

Sorry, but shortcuts don't work bro.

I'd like to eat Foie Gras and not have to count it because it's good for me, but that's not how it works. Eat them if you want, but log that ****, because it's fuel you're adding that will be converted to fat if you don't use it.

I would also imagine that as a diabetic, or soon to be diabetic you'd want to minimize blood sugar fluctuation and avoid citrus fruits.
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    I agree with the others that if you eat too many calories from any source you'll gain weight.

However, foods like kale, spinach, mustard greens, arugula, radicchio, broccoli and other dark leafy vegetables are so good for you and low in calories you could eat as much as you want and likely won't gain weight. You'll feel full long before you could eat a large number of calories--assuming you eat them without added butter or other fat.

Perhaps a better way to approach it is to look for wholesome fruits, vegetable, and nuts you like to eat and try to incorporate more of them into your diet within the calorie range appropriate for you.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting post. I'm eating all kinds of foods - dairy, grain, sugar, fruits,nut, veggies, meats - and I'm losing weight. I must be doing something wrong.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I know that raw celery will actually make you lose calories because your body needs more calories digesting the vegetable than the calories it provides!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Eating lots of healthy fat and low carb does not make me gain fat. True story. (Have you all heard of hormones and how they regulate metabolism??? No? Yeah, that's what I thought.)

So, take a look at what I ate yesterday; wouldn't you call that "substantial" food? I would call it healthy and satisfying.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Eating lots of healthy fat and low carb does not make me gain fat. True story. (Have you all heard of hormones and how they regulate metabolism??? No? Yeah, that's what I thought.)

So, take a look at what I ate yesterday; wouldn't you call that "substantial" food? I would call it healthy and satisfying.

OMG! Prime rib for dinner. That's what I call "substantial"!
  • twopennygal
    Options
    Here's the link to the UK study about grapefruit: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16579728. It looks like it might be worth a try. I think since I'm diabetic and need to lose weight. ;-) Besides I like grapefruit a lot and half a grapefruit before my meals sounds pretty appetizing.
  • twopennygal
    Options
    Check out the UK study at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16579728. Not so much myth. --- OK I'm new here. I didn't realize that replies to specific replies are appended to the end of the thread.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Be careful with grapefruit if you're taking any medications.

There's a longgggggggg list of things that are affected by consuming grapefruit due to (I think) the enzymes they contain in the juice.

Check everything with a pharmacist.