IPhone 4 (NOT 4S) compatability with Pedometers and MFP

Options
sstoro
sstoro Posts: 20 Member
Can anyone out htere tell me which (if any) Pedometers that can link with MyFitnessPal that also have apps that will work on an Iphone 4? I know that the FitBit Air, Runtastic Pedometer, and the Striiv can sync with MFP but I don't see an app compatible with an Iphone 4, only 4S and 5. Also I'm not interested in having to pay extra for a monthly or yearly subscription fee which I believe one needs with the FitBit and Runtastic, (I think). After all I think that a lot of us were drawn to MyFitnessPal because its free only to find that its the BEST site for tracking calories!!!

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the Fit it Air is - not heard of that. Lots of these things sync with a PC and then that info syncs with an app on the iPhone 4. Is that any good?

Fitbit doesn't a e a subscription. Bodymedia Fit does bit it's far more accurate than the other devices and gives more information. The subscription costs peanuts.
    Take a look at this:

http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Fitbit does not require a paid subscription. But you are right. It does not sync via bluetooth with Iphone 4.
  • OgdenBT
    OgdenBT Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 both have the 'new' bluetooth 4.0. This version of the bluetooth protocol is a much faster transmission/lower power consumption than the previous versions. From what I've found, many manufacturers of fitness related products/apps are building for this 4.0 version of bluetooth, and seem to be ignoring the older bluetooth protocols.

The iPod touch 5th generation also uses bluetooth 4.0 An option would be to buy the least expensive model ($274.99 on Amazon for 32 GB). This would give you a little 'workout buddy' that would enable you to use the devices that you can't with your iPhone 4.

Just a thought.
  • sstoro
    sstoro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I hadn't realized that the Iphone bluetooth propocalls had changed.