BMI blues (rant)

Options
JeremyInvincible
JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
Today I read an article on drudge about how the government is planning to include BMI ratings in the new healthcare system. I haven't linked the article because I don't want this to become a political debate, but I gotta tell you....this steams me a bit.

I stand 6'0" tall and at the moment weigh 220 pounds. I wear L/XL shirts due to broad shoulders (47" around the chest) and size 33/34 pants. According to BMI I am just *barely* under the obese level, and topping out the overweight level. Even at my goal weight of 205-210 (in 31/32 pants), I'm still well into the overweight category at 27.6.To qualify as 'healthy' I would have to weigh a maximum of 184.4 pounds. That is completely RIDICULOUS. I haven't weighed 180 pounds since the 5th grade! (hehe, not really, but probably since I was in the 8th grade or so). I lost to 195 pounds once and was told by my Mom I was 'scrawny'. People! I don't want my Mom to think I'm scrawny!

So, anyway, I realize that BMI isn't accurate for muscular people. I have heard that for years. It just irks me that bereaucrats can sit in an office, look at an arbitrary mathmatically derived number on a chart and determine if I am a risk to myself or not. There are even rumors that taxation levels will be determined from your 'level of health'. That I won't believe until it happens, but still, it concerns me that BMI will apparently play a fairly succinct part in the healthcare program.

I don't want to be reduced to a number. Whether it's a BMI or poundage. I don't want someone to determine my worth to the 'system' by referencing a chart or a scale. I'm an individual darnit! Shouldn't my level of health be determined by Hippocrates, and not Pathagoras?

*sigh*

Anyway, my rant is over. I feel better now. Still irritated, but not compelled to tell the interwebz about it, and in the end, I'll count that as a win.

Much love to my MFPeeps.

-J

Replies

• HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I say screw all the "studies" and "facts" and whatever else is out there. Get to a weight where you feel comfortable and happy with yourself. I dislike people... jus sayin.

*waves at Jer*:drinker: '

~Jo:flowerforyou:
  • tlowder
    tlowder Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm with you on this! If I were to get to the "healthy" range, I'm not sure I would look healthy at all. The whole BMI scale needs to be reevaluated. I've already been denied for individual medical insurance coverage due to my weight so at least it has given me a push to get healthier. The funny thing is to think that I need to get healthier so I can get health insurance. We have a very messed up system and I hope what you read is just crazy talk and rumor. Cheers!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    isn't the current surgeon general overwight?
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Why yes, I believe she is.
  • robstot
    robstot Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am hate the BMI. It is a lazy way for doctors to give, usually bad advice, about weight and health. It says I am extremely obese. Um, I am far from it, I am carrying a few extra pounds, why I am here, but I am quite muscular and my body fat % is below 12%, my goal is to be under 10% or even less. My doctor hates the BMI. He says worry about these numbers; blood pressure, heart rate at rest, bad cholesterol levels, and body fat%. That will tell you if you are healthy or fit.

If I took the BMI literally I would have to weigh 130lbs at my heigth of 5'7" and trust me, I would be considered anorexic.

So I agree with you, the BMI should be abolished not become the "official" way of determining obesity.