Help out a college kid?

Options
Im looking for a pretty simple way to cook up some chicken breasts in a way thats as healthy as I can make it. Along with the chicken I have breadcrumbs, garlic powder, onions, eggs, and maybe paprika..

Any ideas?

Replies

• TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Mix up the dry ingredients as a seasoned breading, beat the eggs, dip the chicken in the eggs, then bread the chicken. Bake the chicken up until it hits the right temp. If you've got some oil, you can saute the onions in oil and garlic powder, that's something I like to do, or slice them up and bread them the same way as the chicken, then bake for onion rings/petals/whatever shape you want.
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Mix up the dry ingredients as a seasoned breading, beat the eggs, dip the chicken in the eggs, then bread the chicken. Bake the chicken up until it hits the right temp. If you've got some oil, you can saute the onions in oil and garlic powder, that's something I like to do, or slice them up and bread them the same way as the chicken, then bake for onion rings/petals/whatever shape you want.

^THIS.

Chicken is so easy. Literally just put your favorite seasonings on it and bake, grill, or pan fry it. I have a george foreman grill that I use ALL THE TIME so I often will grill up a chicken breast (plain) and just add it to salad or pasta or a wrap.

The possibilities are endless!

My favorite spices to use are garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin. Also, buffalo sauce makes anything better ;)
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you wanna go super healthy, just sprinkle some salt and pepper on the chicken breasts and put them in the oven on a baking sheet (with a rim) at 400 for half an hour. You can also buy pretty cheap and healthy marinades to add some extra flavor.
  • katiekiernan9322
    Options
    OK so how would I find the calories in what I'm eating if I were to just thrown some seasonings in the bread crumbs and bake it up? Sorry I'm still new at this!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    OK so how would I find the calories in what I'm eating if I were to just thrown some seasonings in the bread crumbs and bake it up? Sorry I'm still new at this!

you can make a recipe and add the amount of spices you use and the servings, or if you are just eating it yourself then just look up whatever spices, either use the barcode app scanner or type it in and add those. i dont really add if i do a sprinkle of pepper or a sprinkle of garlic powder. unless it's a decent amount, i don't count pinches
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    blend it up in a magic bullet...juicing FTW!!!
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    To make it low carb switch the breadcrumbs for almond meal 8)
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    To make it low carb switch the breadcrumbs for almond meal 8)
    Maybe she likes carbs.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Do you have any lite salad dressing on hand? Salad dressings make great marinades (vinegrette is my favorite for this purpose).
    Put the chicken in a plastic bag (or other sealable container) and cover with the dressing. Let it sit overnight (or at least 2-3 hours) in the refrigerator. Bake your chicken and enjoy!
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Saying to make it doesn't mean make it. Merely a suggestion...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Check out allrecipes.com. They have some good quick and easy recipes and reviews
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you want the easiest, least calorie additive method of cooking a chicken breast, just poach it. Throw it in a pot of boiling water until it's done. You don't necessarily need to marinate or bread it - you could chop it up and toss it in a salad, or cook some vegetables to throw over it, or even some sauce to put directly on it. Poached chicken breasts are usually effortlessly moist and super easy to make.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    I love letting it marinade in lemon juice as it thaws :) Then pop it in the oven with some seasoning (I use "lemon pepper," but any will work). I even tried chopping it in little pieces before baking to make it cook faster and it's so great to add to wraps or salads! Or having it with some brown rice or quinoa. It's simple and the only time consuming thing is leaving it to marinade, but that can be left overnight or while in class :D
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I boil chicken breasts for 20-30 mins (the bigger ones need more like 30 mins, smaller ones more like 20) then keep them in the fridge. I can grab them as needed for salads, a snack or even chopping them and sticking them in something i'm cooking for extra protein.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    For future reference, check out the two "Cook This, Not That" books. I swear I should be getting a kick-back from the publisher for how often I recommend these books. Easy to follow, yummy stuff that's low in calories, fat and sodium. But I guess the publisher would hate me for also recommending that you get them used (cheap) on Amazon.

Have fun!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you can weigh the ingredients do that. Add them all up and divide by how many servings you made. So, for example, you have 4 oz of chicken breast that about 130 calories. If you use an ounce of bread crumbs that may be about 120 calories, an egg is about 70 calories and the paprika and garlic powder are probably minimal calories, maybe 5 calories for a tablespoon. The entire recipe would be 330 calories..if you split it in 1/2 it would be 115 calories. MFP has a recipe maker where you scan the ingredients and input how many it serves and it calculates the nutritional information for you.