Discouraged

Options
I have been working so hard the past 10 days. I have exercised and come under on calories. After 5 days I had dropped 11 pounds, but today after another 5 days, I only dropped half a pound. I am so hungry for the things I cant have and feel like I am really pushing hard. I am so tired of being so fat and I feel impatient. Seeing this tempts me to say "the Hell with it and grab a donut" I know 11.5 pounds in 10 days is pretty good, but I started at 320 and I want to lose 100 pounds, so its a bit daunting.

:grumble:

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    I know it is not easy, but the important thing is not to give up. This has to be a life style change and go ahead and eat the good sweet things. Just not as much as before. I find if I just have alittle then the craving is happy. 11.5 is great. Remember we did not get this big overnight and we will not get small over night. I know that is easier said then done, but the thing is do not give up.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    11 pounds in 5 days, is really good. But lets be honest, most of that is water weight. Which is fine! everyone loses it. So I am not making light of what have you done over the past 10 days. But if you are completely hung up on the scale, which I can be too, then I really suggest only getting on once a month. You know the drill, eat right and work out, weight will drop. So if you know what you are doing is better than what you were doing before, don't stress out.

I understand 100 pounds to lose can seem daunting. But trust me, once you start losing some weight, working out, eating better, you will feel better. Plus along the way, you will have so many other reasons to be proud of yourself. This isn't all about the scale. It's about doing things, you never thought you could do.

Good Luck!
  • jeniferadams
    Options
    Breathe.... If you recently started exercising, then your initial weight loss may have been water weight. Not that you aren't working hard, though! You need to be less focussed on pounds and more focussed on size. Measure your upper arms, chest, belly, hips, thighs, etc... You will notice that even if the scales don't change, your body does. This is because MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT!
    As for cravings, I am a big believer that nothing is forbidden. If I am told I can't have something, than I automatically want it. I become obsessed with it, and hink I will perish without it! LOL. So I think, 'All things in moderation.' I mean, if you lose weight eating things that you don't like, then there is no possible way that you are going to keep the weight off. Eat the things you want, only in smaller portions, or in lower fat form. For example: I LOVE homemade mac and cheese. I could live off it. Well, this explains why I am the size that I am! LOL So I either have a little of the classic recipe, or I have been making it with whole grain pasta. It still tastes great, I get the benefit of the fiber and complex carbs, and there is no freakin' way I am not gonna eat Mac and Cheese again! Plus after I eat it, I have satisfied the craving and can eat healthier for a while.

Don't lose heart. You didn't get to 320lbs overnight, and you aren't going to lose 100lbs that way either. Weight lss is very hard work, but it has great pay offs in the end. Hang in there!!!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh every day!!! Keep up the hard work and stay away from the scale for a couple weeks. Good luck :)
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I reckon the problem is here -I have exercised and come under on calories.

You're going too fast, so a binge is inevitable. I understand that you've decided to change and that you're really trying hard, but the sense of deprivation and hunger makes you need to eat.

You need to eat all the calories that MFP says you can have, and you need to eat around half of the extra calories you earn through exercise. (I suggest cutting the exercise calories by half as estimates of calorie burns are unreliable. If you're extra hungry eat more - up to all of them)

Good luck with your new life - choose the healthy way to live and enjoy it. You need to be in this for the long haul, so don't charge in with an unsustainable eating plan.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Stay strong. You can do it. Weight loss is a long, long winding road.

Do your best to eat the calories that you are good for you and keep exercising. It takes time but you will get there.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! You can do this... you proved to yourself you can...now keep going...you are doing great...it is a lot of work but it is worth it..
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your expectations need adjusting. It takes time and patience to become fit and get healthy. If others have done this, and they have, then so can you. Make a commitment and don't give up.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I reckon the problem is here -I have exercised and come under on calories.

You're going too fast, so a binge is inevitable. I understand that you've decided to change and that you're really trying hard, but the sense of deprivation and hunger makes you need to eat.

You need to eat all the calories that MFP says you can have, and you need to eat around half of the extra calories you earn through exercise. (I suggest cutting the exercise calories by half as estimates of calorie burns are unreliable. If you're extra hungry eat more - up to all of them)

Good luck with your new life - choose the healthy way to live and enjoy it. You need to be in this for the long haul, so don't charge in with an unsustainable eating plan.

I have tried that. In 4 months I have lost 10 pounds and just gained back 2/ I have been here for 2 years. That dosent work for me.
  • nycsoozy1
    nycsoozy1 Posts: 17
    Options
    Don't give up
  • PaulFields56
    PaulFields56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, my friend. I started at 303 last Thanksgiving (how smart is that, to start MFP at Thanksgiving). I stuck with it through the holidays and into the new year, and it is paying off. So far, I have lost 45 pounds or so.

I set my goal at 2 pounds per week. Some weeks I lose 2.5 pounds, other weeks I lose 0.2 pounds. It's not linear. Weight loss depends on many things. One key for me is tracking sodium. I'm not too careful about it, but I can see the impact sodium has on my weight loss.

My advice, stick with it--it took a long time to gain the weight, it's going to take a while to lose it, too. Don't get discouraged--weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you win more, some weeks you win less. Don't cut back too severely--making yourself miserable is not productive in the long run (Assuming you want to keep the weight off once you have lost it, you will need to structure your current effort so that you have a sustainable approach when it's time to go on maintenance).

For me, right now, it's a game: How often can I continue to track and come in at or under my calorie goal for the day? For the week? I know if I keep doing the right thing, I will continue to have good results.

You can do this.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I have been working so hard the past 10 days. I have exercised and come under on calories. After 5 days I had dropped 11 pounds, but today after another 5 days, I only dropped half a pound. I am so hungry for the things I cant have and feel like I am really pushing hard. I am so tired of being so fat and I feel impatient. Seeing this tempts me to say "the Hell with it and grab a donut" I know 11.5 pounds in 10 days is pretty good, but I started at 320 and I want to lose 100 pounds, so its a bit daunting.

:grumble:

it's going to take you the better part of a year to lose 100 lbs. accept that fact.

impatience is your enemy. your body weight is actually working in your favor now because your BMR is high, so you'll be able to post big losses your first few months (10+ lbs per month) without too much trouble.

however, you need to get your mind right. you didn't put the weight on in a week and you won't take it off in a week.

log everything accurately. make sure you are eating at your calorie goal and not above it. start moving (long walks can burn decent amounts of calories for you if you're not up to jogging/running). one last thing... you can eat that donut if it fits your calorie goal for the day. just don't eat the whole box.

start reading the Eat, Train, Progress group and make sure you understand exactly what's going on with setting your BMR, TDEE, and macros. also, read the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) stuff. this is the key. don't overly restrict yourself. don't limit what foods you can eat and don't overly restrict your calorie intake. too few calories is just as bad as too many. there is a sweet spot in between that will keep you feeling full, energetic, and still losing weight at a decent rate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • MelissaSuko
    MelissaSuko Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Awww. My highest weight was 320 and I am a rather small framed chickie. I have lost 112 so far, but I am still 208. It is not easy. It took me making lifestyle changes. I lost the first 40 relatively fast, but then stuck there for about a year until I got my butt in gear again. Honestly I am vegan now. I have been since June 1st, and I exercise, but not consistently. I really did not start exercising till I fell to about 250 because of pain in the joints from being so out of shape. If ya need a friend for some encouragement I am a non-judgmental, non-scolding type....but I will rejoice at your success.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!
    This is because MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT!

And this is wrong.
  • VickiDiane22
    VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You are doing Great!! Like everyone has said we didn't gain overnight so it will take a while to loose it Just keep a positive attitude and keep doing what you're doing and it will come off. Good luck!!!!!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. You have been doing this, what, 10 days? You have lost 11.5 pounds? That is INCREDIBLE progress! The scale will go up and down, no matter what you are doing. If you can't handle the fluctuations of the scale, weigh only once per week and still keep in mind there will be weeks where you stay the same or gain - no matter what you are doing. Take your measurements - those are a great thing to see moving, especially when the scale might not be cooperating like you would want.

Be PATIENT! Life is NOT the Biggest Loser. (I loathe that show - I think it gives so many people a false sense of what they can reasonably lose) After the first couple weeks, you should strive to lose between .5 and 2 pounds per week for healthy, SUSTAINABLE weight loss. At .5-2 pounds per week, that is 26-104 pounds in a year! That's a huge amount! If you lose too fast, you are not only losing fat, but also muscle and you don't want to lose muscle because muscle is what keeps your metabolism moving. The first couple weeks can show higher weight loss because you are losing water weight.

Don't do anything to lose weight that you aren't willing to do for the rest of your life. Once you get to goal, you can't go back to eating the way you were before or you will end up just like you were before. So make sure whatever you are doing to lose is something you are willing to do to maintain for the rest of your life.

Above all, don't give up. What will giving up accomplish? You'll be right back where you started in no time.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!
    This is because MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT!

And this is wrong.

Um, yeah. 1 pound of muscle = 1 pound of fat! They weigh the same! Muscle, however, takes up less room in your body (but it doesn't make you gain).
  • K3Daw
    K3Daw Posts: 9
    Options
    Very well said!
  • hrhboo
    hrhboo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your food diary for the past 4-5 days, and you're starving yourself man! Eat more to lose more :)
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    each time you give up, your just wasting time, and delaying a happier you! i have tried losing weight for about 10 years now... yo-yo dieting... always losing the same 10-20 pounds, then gaining it right back... this last time i made the decision final, and ive never been happier. i feel great, others tell me i look great, and i have a feeling of accomplishment. every time i turned down a night of drinking and binging, i felt crappy about, but now feel proud! every time i chose to put that second piece of cake down, i felt pissed off, but i feel proud now! i wasted 10 years over less than 1 year of hard work! september 17 2012 i weight 246 pounds... i realize it seems like a long road, but its not too bad once you get going... stop being weak and show the world how strong you can be!