Need Help PLeasee!

Options
I started doing stronglifts 5x5 about a week ago because I am trying to build some muscle mass but I also would like to burn some fat especially around my belly. I know to build muscle I need to eat at a surplus and to burn fat I need to eat at a deficit. Could I eat a surplus on days I lift and a deficit on days I do cardio???

Also could I do cardio on days alternating with Stronglifts???

Replies

• sexymuffintop
    Options
    You need to do one or the other as far as I know. You won't effectively do either if you alternate between a surplus and a deficit. I think they would end up effectively cancelling each other out if you understand what I mean. If you want to lose fat, get that done first. Carry on lifting as this will help maintain your lean mass whilst cutting. Then when your bf is at a level your happy with I'd then concentrate on bulking.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest that you don't eat at a surplus right away. One, you have some fat to lose, and two, there's a ramp up in SL where it's going to be a while before you're lifting heavy enough to justify a surplus. Follow the SL program and eat at a slight deficit (300-500 cal). If you have trouble getting into a deficit then add the cardio to get you there.
  • yanks21494
    Options
    ok thank you so should I stick with also doing the cardio on opposite days? and if I have the insanity program could I do that instead of just cardio because It will help me firm up more than just plain cardio?
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest that you don't eat at a surplus right away. One, you have some fat to lose, and two, there's a ramp up in SL where it's going to be a while before you're lifting heavy enough to justify a surplus. Follow the SL program and eat at a slight deficit (300-500 cal). If you have trouble getting into a deficit then add the cardio to get you there.
    Sorry to jump in the thread
    DavPul, what is a while, I am still eating at a deficit because I need to lose another 3 to 4 pounds. When can you say that you are lifting heavy? For example I am only bench pressing 60/65kg, is this not considered heavy lifting (I weight 77.0kg). Thanks
    JC
  • DavPul
    Options
    ok thank you so should I stick with also doing the cardio on opposite days? and if I have the insanity program could I do that instead of just cardio because It will help me firm up more than just plain cardio?

if you want to do the cardio, you can. although insanity is a cardio/circuit training type program that i have personally enjoyed, i wouldn't advise doing it on off days. it beats you up too much for proper rest between heavy lifting days. the lifting is going to be enough to firm you up.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Sorry to jump in the thread
    DavPul, what is a while, I am still eating at a deficit because I need to lose another 3 to 4 pounds. When can you say that you are lifting heavy? For example I am only bench pressing 60/65kg, is this not considered heavy lifting (I weight 77.0kg). Thanks
    JC

heavy is a relative term, not an absolute one. two things matter. one, that the weight is heavy enough that you reach failure somewhere in the 3-10 rep range (giving a wide range because different folks have different goals) and two, that you keep trying to increase the weight. So if you can bench 60kg 15-20 times, it's not heavy, no matter if you stop at 8 reps. but if you can bench 60kg 5 times and can't get the 6 rep back to the bar without help, then it is heavy.

doesn't matter how much i can lift, only how much you can lift.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    heavy is a relative term, not an absolute one. two things matter. one, that the weight is heavy enough that you reach failure somewhere in the 3-10 rep range (giving a wide range because different folks have different goals) and two, that you keep trying to increase the weight. So if you can bench 60kg 15-20 times, it's not heavy, no matter if you stop at 8 reps. but if you can bench 60kg 5 times and can't get the 6 rep back to the bar without help, then it is heavy.

doesn't matter how much i can lift, only how much you can lift.

OK thanks for the explanation, I am doing SL 5x5, so the weight I have given you is my maximum on 5 reps, sometimes I can't do the last one.
    JC
  • lamorael
    lamorael Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend KettleWorx. Even though I am new to MFP, I have been doing the KettleWorx workouts for the last month and half. I have actually been able to build up muscles while at the same time loosing fat. For me it has been a slow process, but I do see results.