Unexplainable Weight Gain (H2O, exercising, eating right)

Options

Replies

• Cabrinii
    Cabrinii Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to figure out what caused my weight to stay at 111 insted of going down. It must be my stomach that has bloating from my menstrual period last week or not doing enough cardio to burn fat and calories. I'll have to add more cardio and lose all my belly fat to make my weight go down at the scale so wouldn't have to plateau at my next weigh-in. I can keep the weight off myself from regaining it and do a lot of sit-ups to take inches off of my waist for good.
  • Tkrauty
    Tkrauty Posts: 2
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weight more then fat, a pound is a pound.
    BUT - Since a lb. of muscle is leaner and takes up less room then a lb of fat, you could be adding on the muscle while NOT losing much fat. Try incorporating HIIT training to rid the fat and it will also up your muscles' fat burning capacity.
  • redshoe61
    Options
    As one of my favorite bloggers explained, if you have a big heavy dinner then jump on the scale the next morning whatever food has not "exited" your body is now going to show up as a weight gain. If you ate a carb heavy meal then you're probably retaining water. Most restaurant food is fairly high in sodium so that's another factor that would cause you to retain water. All of that can easily contribute to a 4-5 pound weight gain.

Don't panic and don't quit! Eat some high fiber foods, drink more water and keep up with the healthy eating. Most of it will come back off when your body is ready to let go of it.

I've noticed, after years of giving up every time the scale crept up, that my body can and will retain water for about 4-5 days on average and sometimes longer depending on hormonal factors.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think 1400 calories is a fair goal and I'm pretty sure I'm meeting it (if not below). I'll try to track foods I actually make on my own but I still find it to be a difficult task.

It just takes practice. You'll get it. Weigh in grams when possible. So for example, if I make a pot of chili I put in all the ingredients, in grams, and then when it's done I measure how many cups the pot made. Usually it's 6 cups. So then I'd put in that it's 6 servings. That makes it easy to figure out my calories. If I eat 2 cups then it's 2 servings. You can also do it by weight. So say a serving is 100 grams. Then when you want to eat some, you weigh your portion. If it was 235 grams, you'd put it in as 2.35 servings in your diary. Make sense?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I've been trying to figure out what caused my weight to stay at 111 insted of going down. It must be my stomach that has bloating from my menstrual period last week or not doing enough cardio to burn fat and calories. I'll have to add more cardio and lose all my belly fat to make my weight go down at the scale so wouldn't have to plateau at my next weigh-in. I can keep the weight off myself from regaining it and do a lot of sit-ups to take inches off of my waist for good.

Your goal is 97 lbs? How tall are you?

Anyway sit ups won't take inches off your waist. You can't spot reduce. Just decrease your overall body fat and it will come off. For body recomposition lifting weights is going to be more effective than cardio.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    As stated a couple of times already, you're not gaining enough muscle mass eating at a deficit to constitute much of a change, if any. Muscle is built on a calorie surplus and hard work. You might be making some "newbie gains" if you're new at lifting, but it won't be enough to really worry about.

As far as weight gain, I personally wouldn't worry about it. The scale isn't going to tell the truth anyway. Its good for trending over a long time, but it can show anywhere from 2 lbs to 8 lbs gain over the course of one day, and that's simply not possible. You may be retaining water, which is often the case when lifting or exercise, it may be that you're body is holding on for a while and then you'll experience the "swoosh" effect and lose several pounds all of the sudden. There are several women on this site who will tell you that they actually weight more because of lifting over time, but their measurements and body composition are 10 times better than before. They've lost inches and body fat, but maintain and even built muscle.

Give yourself some time, a week or even a month sometimes isn't really worth measuring. I've been stuck going up and down and up and down but never losing anything for 2 months, then all of the sudden it's dropping at a steady rate and still dropping...and I even recently upped my calories, and that didn't seem to matter much with my weight loss. I am currently at my lowest (as of this morning) than I can ever remember being in the last 25 or more years. I also fully expect to be a lb or two heavier in the morning than I was this morning and probably even higher later in the week, but most likely will have a decent drop before the weekend is up or by this time next week.

If you are gaining or not moving after a couple of months, you might doing a little tweak here or there, maybe up your calories by a couple hundred at first, I know it seems counter-productive, but your body is designed to survive, and if it thinks it's not getting enough fuel, it will do what it needs to do to make it last and that often means a slower metabolism. You may have set yourself for a much faster goal than your body wants.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I think 1400 calories is a fair goal and I'm pretty sure I'm meeting it (if not below). I'll try to track foods I actually make on my own but I still find it to be a difficult task.

If you are lifting weights, 1400 calories may not be enough. You should use an onine calculator to determine your TDEE. Then subtract 10% and start there. You don't have much to lose, so you should not be eating at a large deficit.
  • Sebani
    Sebani Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @redshoe it's been more than a day though.. Been a week and I'm up 4 but I'll give it another week or so before I fully spaz. If I creep back up to 140 I seriously will throw a fit!

@AngelAmberL Thanks for the advice and everything! I'll definitely give it a shot but I have a question for you, when I cook rice, do I count it when its cooked or before it's cooked? Or is there a value in MFP for both lol

@foleyshirley TDEE says 1916 cals and I know you say I don't have much to lose but I do... there's flab everywhere (stomach hips thighs) so if I lost 10 lbs I may be satisfied but 120 would be ideal! ;)
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    if its coming up to "that time of the month" u will notice a difference! i tend to gain a few houndred grams right before i'm due. this is normal for us women!! try not to weigh urself everyday, u will always fluctuate, it's just how the human body is. i personally weight twice a week, just to make sure i'm on track. if u find in a couple weeks ur still gaining have a look at ur calories in compared to calories out, u may need to tweak it a bit. the important thing is to keep going! ur making some great changes and i'm sure u will get to where u want to be! best of luck :)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    1) If you aren't accurately weighing and measuring your food, you're very likely eating more than you think you are. You must count everything. You say your diet is poor to moderate, but not fantastic. One or two days of a better diet isn't going to change things much. You need to count everything, including the ketchup and relish packets. Those add up! Honestly, weighing and measuring food takes practice, and a digital scale. Enter every single thing.

2) Muscle needs water to rebuild after lifting, so it is going to retain it. This is good.

3) You haven't been working out long enough to have gained any appreciable mass. Strength gains, probably. Mass, no.

If you're only doing a partial job at calculating what you eat, then you're not going to have the success you're hoping for. You can't make guesses and just hope for the best. Getting the food right is most of the battle. Grabbing a chip here or a bite of a cookie there will add up to hundreds of calories in a day if you're not careful.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If your doing weights then you may be gainning muscle and muscle weighs more then fat.

1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat.

Then muscle is more dense than fat. That's the idea they were trying to get across.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

@AngelAmberL Thanks for the advice and everything! I'll definitely give it a shot but I have a question for you, when I cook rice, do I count it when its cooked or before it's cooked? Or is there a value in MFP for both lol

Log the dry weight. Since the volume changes when it's cooked it's more reliable to find the dry weight in the database. That goes in general too, for meat, fruits, and veggies add "raw" when you search. So for boneless skinless chicken breast, you'd put "boneless skinless chicken breast raw" into the search field. Look for the one with no asterisk, it's the most accurate.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    If your doing weights then you may be gainning muscle and muscle weighs more then fat.

1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat.

Then muscle is more dense than fat. That's the idea they were trying to get across.

Right but she still isn't going to have gained 4 lbs of muscle in a week.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You're not gaining muscle in a week, but you may be retaining water for muscle repair. The scale went up a couple of pounds when I first started lifting. It should settle down in a couple of weeks if that's the culprit.

This - it's water weight.
  • Sebani
    Sebani Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    But 4 lbs of water weight??? :S Seems a bit.. much lol
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Sebani, I was 134 when I weight on Sunday. The Wednesday before I was 129. Today, I am 131.... I know my actual weight is 129. It can have a lot of factors, TOM is a huge one. I am approaching mine....only a couple days a way and that can be a HUGE factor.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I can gain up to 10lbs due to water retention the week before my period. So no, I wouldn't say 4lbs of water weight is a bit much
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

When you start exercising you can store at least 3 - 4lb or glycogen and water in your muscles.

Also, you mention you were dehydrated before...and now you are not...that is more water weight.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Anyways someone please figure out what I'm doing wrong

You are weighing yourself too often
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    People, no one gains pounds of muscle in one week lol