Excuses or is there anybody out there like this?

Options
So I have this problem to where I've been skipping a day or two at the gym because of school work. I have the problem where it doesn't feel like I can concentrate or have a good work out until I know I've done a good job on my work. I then ask myself is it really because of that or because you just don't want to go to the gym? And I really do feel I have to complete my work first before I can feel like I can do a good work out and not stress about other stuff. Is there any one out there like this? I have an entire summer to workout with no interruptions in 2 and a half weeks after finals, but this last month I have had school work and want to make sure I do a good job, and have been skipping 1-2 days outta 5 at the gym a week. It has paid off, for I was able to raise two C's to possible B's. But then I feel bad not going to the gym lol school first or gym? Or should I MAKE myself do both?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're doing the other work INSTEAD of the gym - then okay. If you're skipping the gym but not making use of the time then it just an excuse.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Yes! I come home immediately and start my work :D but the I can't drive back to gym because its a 15-20 minute drive. I go to the gym after class which is on the way to school ^^
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would say school first! You should not let your grades drop at the expense of getting a workout every-day. Ideally, it would be great if you can do both. Working out can be refreshing and allow you to focus more on your studies because it is a stress releaser. But, if the are one too many projects and tests then I would focus on them first.
  • hiyomi
    Options
    Ya, most of this year I would balance school and work outs, but since finals are soon, there is a lot of extra work and I am putting extra effort into trying to get two A's and 2 B's this year. After 2 and a half weeks, I have an entire summer to dedicate my time into the gym.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    Personally, I think you should make yourself do both. I work full-time and go to university full-time. I've recently started swimming daily which does limit my social life, but I'm willing to pay that price for my own success.

It doesn't have to be a long time, not saying you should go to the gym for hours, but even something as simple as running the stairs for 10-15 minutes. Do that on the hour, every hour and in a 4 hour time-span, you'll get in an hour workout plus 3 hours of studying in. :)

My mother once told me that life is so much easier when you realize there is just enough time for the important things. It's kinda true.
  • ajmiller1987
    ajmiller1987 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I'm being presumptuous, but how much school work do you have that sparing an hour-90 minutes, maybe two hours at the most, is too much?
  • hiyomi
    Options
    Perhaps I'm being presumptuous, but how much school work do you have that sparing an hour-90 minutes, maybe two hours at the most, is too much?
    Its not so much time that I have a problem with, but I cannot concentrate or workout with a good feeling knowing that there's a speech due soon. I HAVE to do that speech and make sure I have everything done correctly, to be able to sit in an hour and a half workout not constantly stressing that I have to hurry home and do my speech. And I'm not procrastinating either, I actually did my most of my speech 2 weeks in advance, but I did a good deed and switched presentation dates with a girl that had to present this Thursday and I was going to present next Thursday! She wasn't going to be able to attend, so since I was basically done with my speech, I decided to switch with her and come home to finish my speech, outline, and works cited pages instead of going to the gym first.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Could you do some kind of exercise at home after you have finished your work for the day (exercise DVD, bodyweight strength work, walking, etc.)? With all you have going on, maybe it doesn't need to be the gym all the time for the next couple of weeks, but doing something will probably help you sleep better, reduce tension, etc. and this would hopefully help with your #1 goal of doing the best you can on your exams.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    School first. But what's stopping you from going to the gym after your work is done?
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do this, too. Working full time and being in grad school takes up all of my hours of the day, and I get stressed if I'm doing something other than work or homework (for example, relaxing or being social or being at the gym).
    My solution this week has been to wake up at 5:45 AM and walk to the gym (about a half hour walk away) by 6:30 and get in 45-60 minute workout before work. If I get it over with in the morning...then at least it's done.
    But, I know once the homework gets really crazy again, working out will be the first thing to be cut from my schedule-- I'm not willing to sleep less in order to fit in a workout, either, because then my actual job performance suffers.
    Take advantage of breaks between semesters, weekends, and know that eventually you'll be done with school forever!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    both
  • hiyomi
    Options
    School first. But what's stopping you from going to the gym after your work is done?
    A 20 minute drive back to the gym! I to school (20 minutes away) then when I'm done with my classes I go to the gym, which is really close to my school. Its the cheapest closest one there is, $10 a month! I'm thinking of trying yoga now though on days where I miss the gym :o

Is something like yoga considered exercise? I know its not breaking too much of a sweat, but can this be replaced on days where I skip the gym? (And I don't mean all the time, but 1 day a week?) It sounds nice and I've always wanted to try a good yoga workout.
  • AngelaPesta17
    Options
    Here's my deal...I'm a full time mom, full time college student, full time employee. I HAVE to make time. I like to utilize small things...at work I go up 8 flights of stairs 2 x a day. I park SUPER far away. In the bathroom (it's private) I do 10-20 squats every time I'm in there. I jog early in the am for only 20 min. I do squats with my full laundry basket. Think of the small things you can do!
  • hiyomi
    Options
    Here's my deal...I'm a full time mom, full time college student, full time employee. I HAVE to make time. I like to utilize small things...at work I go up 8 flights of stairs 2 x a day. I park SUPER far away. In the bathroom (it's private) I do 10-20 squats every time I'm in there. I jog early in the am for only 20 min. I do squats with my full laundry basket. Think of the small things you can do!

Ha! The squats in the restroom, I don't think I would have ever thought of that. I do park super far away, and enjoy my walks. I ended up doing 20 minutes of yoga for the first time ever right now. Boy, it was hard O_O It said for beginners too! My back hurts. I think on days where I miss something like yoga will really help me out in strength training. I could also use the stairs at school rather than the elevator.