help me to make sweet potato fries

Options
andieellengreen
andieellengreen Posts: 65 Member
So basically I have never tried a sweet potato before but have seen so many pictures of sweet potato fries and they look amazing, im hoping to try them out tomorrow, I would like to oven bake them using fry light, if anyone could please instruct me on how to make them I would be so grateful! Thanks

Replies

• LisaDec1969
    LisaDec1969 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just peel them then cut them in rounds then I put them in a baggie and drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle mrs.dash shake them up and bake 400 degrees for about 20 min... I use a roasted garlic mayo for dipping ...DELISH !!
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sweet potatoes but I've only ever ate them baked...well cooked in the microwave then ate like a baked potato so I'm curious about making them into fries too. sounds yummy! i prefer to eat them with sour cream or greek yogurt and cheese like a loaded baked potato rather than sugary stuff...i think they are sweet enough on their own.
  • jupijapan
    Options
    I also only eat them baked (so delicious), but as fries they must be good.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    In for the recipes
  • ssalmonson
    Options
    I had them for dinner tonight! Peel and cut into fry shape, shake in a bag with olive oil and spread out on a cookie sheet and sprinkle a bit of salt if you'd like then bake for 20 mins. at 400 degrees. Be sure to take them out at 10mins. and turn over. hint: put them in the microwave for a couple of mins. to make peeling easier. My husband dips them in honey mustard I find they are delicious enough without any dipping or ketchup is good too. Enjoy!
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    In New Zealand we call them Kumara, we get golden ones and purple ones (purple is most common), and we eat then boiled, mashed, roasted, as fries or wedges, in casseroles.. anything you can do with a potato you can do with Kumara :) Nomnomnom...

Looked this up for you :)

Preheat oven to 450°F. Peel and cut 1 large sweet potatointo wedges, toss wedges with 2 teaspoons canola oil, salt and pepper. Spread the wedges out on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until browned and tender, turning once, about 20 minutes total.

Hope they turn out well!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I personally would leave the skin on, The skins (same with potato) have a lot a good nutrients and you can get them nice in crispy,

Soak them n water for 30mins them coat with corn flour.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    In New Zealand we call them Kumara, we get golden ones and purple ones (purple is most common), and we eat then boiled, mashed, roasted, as fries or wedges, in casseroles.. anything you can do with a potato you can do with Kumara :) Nomnomnom...

Looked this up for you :)

Preheat oven to 450°F. Peel and cut 1 large sweet potatointo wedges, toss wedges with 2 teaspoons canola oil, salt and pepper. Spread the wedges out on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until browned and tender, turning once, about 20 minutes total.

Hope they turn out well!

I actually think our kumara tastes completely different, Im living in Melbourne atm ad the sweet potato just isnt the same as home :(
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Just wash them, cut them into quarters, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and any other spices of your choice, and bake.
  • nellysaurus88
    nellysaurus88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How do you guys get your sweet potato fries nice and crispy without a lot of flour or added calories?
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    How do you guys get your sweet potato fries nice and crispy without a lot of flour or added calories?

They don't really go crispy like normal fries..
  • julyssas
    julyssas Posts: 22
    Options
    I LOVE sweet potatoes. The other day I was browing on youtube and found the easiest recipe from Laura in the kitchen. I did it and it's wonderfull. Just look 'laura in the kitchen sweet potatoes' and you'll see :-)
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Slightly different take but I make an awesome soup - butternut squash x 1, sweet potato x 2, garlic (6-8 cloves) and shallots (6-8). Cut the squash and sweet potatoes in half, drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven with the garlic cloves and whole shallots for 45 minutes. Leave to cool a bit then scoop out the flesh, squeeze the cloves and shallots in and add 3 pints chicken stock. bring to the boil and finish off by pureeing! It is wholesome, delicious and freezes well!
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I keep the peel on too. Helps to crisp them up really well. I love kumara!!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

425 degree oven, or under the broiler but watch it, they will burn.
  • ocragal
    ocragal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get them crispy by baking fresh sweet potatoes cut for fries. Alexia has a great brand in the freezer section that crisps nicely. I have a recipe from WW that my family loves: spray cookie sheet with Pam, slice potatoes into 1/2 inch rounds, top with about 1 teaspoon of sugar free orange marmalade or apricot preserves, bake at 400 degress until potatoes are done. The potatoes are delicious! Good enough to serve at a dinner party -- and oh so easy!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I peel mine and then cut in to the shape I want (I prefer a bit thicker like wedges). I put them in a bowl and microwave for about 4-5 minutes to soften them. I them spread them out on a baking tray and spray with some fry lite (this is like a 2 calorie spray oil that you can use to cook with) and I sprinkle a little salt on and then bake on a high heat in the oven. Turn frequently. I love them!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Anyone do them more like a dessert with cinnamon and/or brown sugar? I've been looking for a recipe more like that so I can enjoy them as I do at Texas Road House, but healthier. I saw it on a show once but cannot for the life of me find the recipe.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Anyone do them more like a dessert with cinnamon and/or brown sugar? I've been looking for a recipe more like that so I can enjoy them as I do at Texas Road House, but healthier. I saw it on a show once but cannot for the life of me find the recipe.
    \

my husband and i make it this way all the time- cut them up into cubes, lightly coat with olive oil, sprinkle with cinnamon and bake.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Q: In america are sweet potatoes also known as yams? (Reference Phoebe from Friends lol)