Drinking on a night out

Options
What are the "best" alcoholic drinks to drink when you're on a diet?
Tomorrow night is my best friend's birthday and we're all going out for drinks and to a nightclub. I know vodka is quite low cal but I hate the taste - at parties I drink it with diet cherryade but I doubt many bars will have this! I've heard glasses of white wine are okay too.

Any suggestions for other low cal drinks, or tips on making sure I don't gain all my weight back on in one evening?!

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Since I've only had 2 drinks in the past 6+ years, I really don't know. If you don't get a response try google =)

Have fun :flowerforyou:
  • toddgaines
    toddgaines Posts: 130
    Options
    Here is a great rundown of what calories are in various drinks.

http://www.getdrunknotfat.com/
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    its the alcohol itself thats bad for you on a diet :D That being said I still like to indulge myself...

What i do is just work out more the days i am going to have drink and plan my eating around the drinks I am going to have.... I also try to drink a water between drinks to keep my hydrated when I am out. So i have 1 drink then 1 water or 2 drinks then 1 water depending on the night.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Cherry vodka and diet coke is yummy! Its the only time I drink soda. Splurge on a good vodka though. :drinker:
  • cmorros
    cmorros Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think most hard alcohol (vodka, gin, scotch, whiskey) are about the same in caloric content ... it's what you mix it with that really makes the difference. If you're drinking hard alcohol, stay away from anything with cream (i.e. no white russian or pina colada), and even limit your fruit juice mixes. Try rum and diet coke (or anything w/ diet coke). Also, be sure to eat high protein and high fiber meal BEFORE you go out ... it will help keep you full and curb your desire for more to drink. Try to alternate your drink with water (i.e. alcoholic drink, then glass of water w/ lemon, then another alcoholic drink, etc.) Of course, don't eat the typical bar food (nachos, fried anything, pizza, chips) - if you do eat, just nibble. (Personally, I find the food does me in, more so than the drinks!) BTW, Margaritas are notoriously high in calories ... it's the marg mix. If you like tequila, try getting a good one (Patron Anejo or Patron Silver) straight and just sipping it like wine.

Of course beers vary widely in calories ... I've tried some of the new ultra low cal beers (Budweiser Select 55 for example) and they're not bad (if you like beer). From a calorie perspective, a 55 calorie 12 oz beer is probably the lowest drink you'll find.

Seriously, I think the best thing you can do is to eat a sensible meal b4 you go, stay away from cream and juice-based drinks, and alternate each drink w/ a glass of water. As one who loves a good drink, I also love to wake up feeling good the next morning ... so, over-indulging isn't just bad for your diet, it pretty much can ruin your whole weekend! Be cautious, and enjoy!!!
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I usually go for Gin and Tonic. It's been my favorite for years, primarily because I've always found it nice and refreshing while dancing. Compared with a lot of alcoholic beverages, it isn't too bad in terms of calories either.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    • Pina Colada (6 oz): 378 calories
    • Mojito (8 oz): 214 calories
    • Cosmopolitan (4 oz): 200 calories
    • Chocolate martini: (2 oz each vodka, chocolate liqueur, cream, 1/2 oz creme de cacao, chocolate syrup): 438
    • Margarita (8 oz): 280
    • Green apple martini (1 oz each vodka, sour apple, apple juice): 148
    • Martini (2.5 oz): 160
    • Port wine (3 oz):128
    • Bloody Mary (5 oz): 118
    • Red wine (5 oz):120
    • White wine (5 oz): 120
    • Alcohol-free wine (5 oz): 20-30
    • Beer (12 oz): 150-198
    • Light beer (12 oz): 95-136
    • Ultra-light beer (12 oz): 64-95
    • Champagne (5oz): 106-120
    • Coffee liqueur (3 ounces): 348
    • Godiva chocolate liqueur (3 oz): 310
    • Wine spritzer (5 oz): 100
    • Eggnog with rum (8 ounces): 370
    • Hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps (8 oz): 380
    • Hot buttered rum (8 oz): 292
    • Spiced cider with rum ( 8 oz):150
    • Mulled wine (5 oz): 200
    • Vodka and tonic (8 oz): 200
    • Screwdriver (8 oz): 190
    • Mimosa (4 oz): 75
    • Gin and tonic (7 oz): 200
    • Long Island iced tea (8 oz): 780
    • White Russian (2 oz vodka, 1.5 oz coffee liqueur, 1.5 oz cream): 425
    • Mai Tai (6 oz) (1.5 oz rum, 1/2 oz cream de along, 1/2 oz triple sec, sour mix, pineapple juice): 350
    • Rum and Coke (8 oz): 185
    • Rum and Diet Coke (8 oz): 100
    • Mike's Hard Lemonade (11 oz): 98
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Some firends of mine use to do vodka and water then they would add in the Crystal light fruit punch packets.
    They were pretty yummy!
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The best drink I've found is Ice Tea and Vodka, I know it sounds weird, but it tastes great and it's refreshing. Make sure you use good vodka though! Also I drink a glass of water every other drink. It really helps keep me hydrated and helps minimize the affects of the alcohol on my diet. But, I still get to have that happy feeling and be social!!!
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The best drink I've found is Ice Tea and Vodka, I know it sounds weird, but it tastes great and it's refreshing. Make sure you use good vodka though! Also I drink a glass of water every other drink. It really helps keep me hydrated and helps minimize the affects of the alcohol on my diet. But, I still get to have that happy feeling and be social!!!
    BTW if you use plain vodka each drink will have 63 calories per oz. of vodka. Usually a bar or restaurant will put 1-1.5 oz so you are 63-95 calories per drink, not bad!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Best way to gauge it is this way: if it's fruity, it's made from a syrup made from sugar - HIGH CALORIE. If it's a flavored alcohol (mango rum, lemon vodka, etc.) it's flavored with syrup that's made with sugar - HIGH CALORIE.

The drinks with mostly just liquor will be your safest bet as far as calories, BUT... our bodies burn alcohol BEFORE fat, so don't expect to lose (you might even gain, especially if you drink a lot) this week. If there's a lot of alcohol for your body to burn, any fat it would have been burning before, is just sitting there. Also, make sure to drink lots of water - not to sober up, but because alcohol dehydrates you, so you need to rehydrate.
  • Lucindaq
    Lucindaq Posts: 25
    Options
    Clear alcohol is better then dark ones. Diet sprite, silver tequila and lime juice. Very yummy!
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    Thanks guys this has been tons of help :D
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Vodka and diet soda, but if you like beer the 100 calorie Miller Chill is awesome as is the MIchelob Ultra cactus lime.