The Hate Against ViSalus

Options
I have been on MFP for about 2 years now and have always put a lot of stock in to what people on these message boards have to say. I lost about 40 pounds my first time around with MFP just by working out and eating healthy - except that I started out on Jenny Craig for the first month. I lost 12 pounds and that then motivated me to do it on my own (because Jenny is EXPENSIVE, and also because I realized that their 1200 calorie restrictive diet did NOT take in to account my exercise level or eating back my exercise cals).

I recently had a baby and am ready to get the 30 POUNDS I gained off a bit more quickly than I have been, I find that I'm stuck in a rut of eating what I want, when I want, and having a really hard time avoiding junk food. I know my mind and my body, and I know that I need that boost in the beginning to start losing weight and THEN I can transition in to healthier whole food. This is where ViSalus comes in.

I've heard a lot of hype about these shakes - all of the people I have met who drink them LOVE them and use them for meal replacement. I know a lot more than the average joe about BMR, the Harris Benedict Equation, starvation mode and the kind of calories required to maintain normal bodily function, much less to lose weight. All of this, I learned on MFP and through Google searches and being my own best advocate. I am aware that the shakes are only 90 calories on their own, and if I were to replace 2 meals a day with only 90 calories I'd be killing myself - forget starvation mode!

I am a nursing mother and have figured out that in order to lose weight while still maintaining my milk supply, I NEED to get at least 1700 calories a day. This is where ViSalus shake recipes come in. I'll be using the recipes to bulk up the caloric value of those shakes and then eating sensible meals/snacks in between - all while recording my caloric intake here on MFP.

Anyway, my point is that I have done my research and have considered my caloric intake for my own body, and the hate I've seen from other people regarding ViSalus irritates me. Please do not assume that people on ViSalus are lazy, haven't done their research, or don't understand that it's not enough calories. As I said, I know that I need a jump start product to get my motivation up or I lose it FAST. I've done the weight loss thing before (with Jenny Craig and then preparing my own whole foods) and it was a great learning experience!

I hate to come back to MFP seeming like I have a tude - I really don't! I just want to put it out there that while it's okay to educate people on their options, it's not cool to knock their choices by calling it "expensive pee". I actually read that comment somewhere on a thread...such a rude thing to say.

Just my two cents. Glad to be back!!!

Replies

• mbooren
    mbooren Posts: 5
    Options
    I have friends taking it that aren't selling it that love it. The reason so many people hate it is because they assume it's a scheme. I love the shakes and I'm looking to start selling them just because I believe in the product. I'm not out there to make money off of them. I just really want to help my friends learn about them. If I make some money off of them all the better.
  • Maile4u
    Maile4u Posts: 7
    Options
    Are you still doing Visalus?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    people hate against all MLM shakes, not just Visalus

and frankly... while the products are decent (some better than others), it's the marketing that pisses people off. I quit selling shakeology because I felt like I was constantly trying to turn my friends into "customers" and it made me feel slimy. More than that, I wanted to be able to offer people a multitude of options - not just try and force ONE method on people whether they need it or not, ya know?

the marketing plan behind all the MLM shakes is just... i dunno... disingenuous. so even though I love the shakeology product, I can't - in good conscious - be actively marketing it. if someone asks me about it or wants to try it, I'll help them out - but the whole concept of making lists and cold calling your FRIENDS? just smacks of disrespect and desperation. Took me far too long to figure that out, but I did. :)
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i hate all the fake stuff - shakes , pills ,sensa all of it
    its a waste of money
    the only weight to lose w eight a nd keep it off is diet and exercise
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    What annoys me is seeing my friends who are in massive debt buying into it. And their incessant Facebook advertising.

Also, my roommate was on it until she couldn't afford it anymore. Gained all the weight back and then some. And after living with her for a while, I can tell you it did not teach her a THING about nutrition. In fact, because she had lost weight on them, she was convinced that was the only sure way she could lose it. Sad.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My reason for hating them is that there money garantee is a joke! They owe me over 200.00! That was a year ago! I couldnt use them cause it hurt my stomach.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    people hate against all MLM shakes, not just Visalus

and frankly... while the products are decent (some better than others), it's the marketing that pisses people off. I quit selling shakeology because I felt like I was constantly trying to turn my friends into "customers" and it made me feel slimy. More than that, I wanted to be able to offer people a multitude of options - not just try and force ONE method on people whether they need it or not, ya know?

the marketing plan behind all the MLM shakes is just... i dunno... disingenuous. so even though I love the shakeology product, I can't - in good conscious - be actively marketing it. if someone asks me about it or wants to try it, I'll help them out - but the whole concept of making lists and cold calling your FRIENDS? just smacks of disrespect and desperation. Took me far too long to figure that out, but I did. :)

I gotta say I agree with this.

If you like the shakes and you want to spend the money - power to you. I have no issue with that. I splurge on a lot of things that people think I'm silly for (hello, lululemon). My issue is with the above noted. Also, when people make crazy claims about how much better this product is when they are just regurgitating the sales pitch. You seem to know what you are doing, you aren't starving yourself, you aren't calling it a miracle, and you like it. Forget what others say but keep in mind that many of the criticisms come from the method of sales and the overrated hype which doesn't seem to apply to you.
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    I think everyone has to do what they want to help them lose the weight they need to. Mind you shakes are a big thing right now, and I do have them myself from time to time. I use the herbalife, but not religously enough to say that hey this is it, If Im to busy I will make a shake for breakfast and one for lunch then eat a sensible meal, but i work out everyday at least 30min. or more depending on the time i have for that day. You do what you do for you and what everyone else says, well it's just what they say, If it works for you then that's all that matters......
  • Maile4u
    Options
    If you haven't gotten your money back yet, that's wrong. Who sold them to you? Get back with them and let them fight for you to get your money back, but make sure you have some proof that you tried. $200 dollars is a lot of money, so I would try again.
  • Maile4u
    Options
    I love my Evolv Shakes, and the other products as well. I tried Visalus and they were way too sweet for me, plus I don't like the fake sugar substitute they put in them. There's nothing wrong with drinking an honest healthy shake, but nothing replaces eating right. You have to eat healthy also.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This thread is over a year old, and the OP only posted once after posting this, never to be seen again...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This thread is over a year old, and the OP only posted once after posting this, never to be seen again...

Dammit. Never noticed. Thanks though.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    did anybody else get a PM from the poster who also just happened to bump this thread?
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Two words: PYRAMID SCHEME.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    did anybody else get a PM from the poster who also just happened to bump this thread?

Was it a saucy PM?
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Are you still doing Visalus?
    162236__UNOPT__animated_scootaloo_apple-bloom_spoiler-s03e04.gif
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Was it a saucy PM?

man do i WISH
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Was it a saucy PM?

man do i WISH

Caulk shot, SENT!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

Was it a saucy PM?

man do i WISH

Caulk shot, SENT!

including the gun?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    This is all you need to know......all the MLM companies are the same.....

http://www.lazymanandmoney.com/visalus-scam/