Deb's Kitchen

Options
I have a bunch of recipes that I've created through my years of living la vida low-carb. I'm going to share them in this topic. If you like them, let me know. If you don't, let me know how you would improve them, please. I test all my recipes on my wife :flowerforyou: . None that she didn't like will be posted here. I will also be posting the food values in the foods database so if you decide to try any of them, you can add them to your diary easily. They will all be under the brand name of Deb's Kitchen.

Replies

• twopennygal
    Options
    Salsa Ranch Dressing

Hidden Valley Ranch has a bottled dressing that is what we modeled this on. We think it's better. It's definitely fresher and more natural -- no annoying chemicals. We buy our Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix (original buttermilk recipe) in a bulk package at Smart & Final.

1 cup whole milk buttermilk (in the stores you'll find "Bulgarian" buttermilk, which is the only one we've found that is made with whole milk. We make our own.
    1 cup real mayonnaise (and no, we don't make our own, not yet anyway)
    3 tbl La Victoria Salsa Brava hot sauce
    1 1/2 tsp Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix (original buttermilk recipe)

Combine ingredients and mix well.
  • twopennygal
    Options
    It turns out that I can't submit My Ingredients to the site database. So here's the nutrition for the Salsa Ranch Dressing:

Serving Size: 100g ; Calories: 342 ; Total fat: 35g ; Saturated fat: 6g ; Polyunsaturated fat: 18g ; Monounsaturated fat: 9g ; Cholesterol: 20mg ; Sodium: 348mg ; Potassium: 61mg ; Total Carbs: 6g ; Dietary fibre: 0g ; Sugars: 3g ; Protein: 2g ; Vitamin A: 9% ; Vitamin C: 2% ; Calcium: 5% ; Iron: 1%
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    So, it's 342 calories and 35 grams of fat for one serving of dressing? :X
  • twopennygal
    Options
    That's for 100grams. A tablespoon is about 29 grams. So it depends on how much you use. Whenever I make a recipe that is used as in another recipe or as a condiment, I calculate it based on 100g and then measure it by weight when I use it. The engineer in me wants accuracy and my scale is my best tool for that. :glasses:
  • michelerossano3
    michelerossano3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would imagine it could be lightened up by using light Mayo and low fat buttermilk...
  • twopennygal
    Options
    As a low-carber, it's already light. Fat and protein are my friends, it's carbs that are the problem. So my recipes are going to be geared toward low-carb, especially low-sugar and -starch, not low-fat.

And I just found out that I can add my foods to the general database, but I have to do it when I add the foods, I can't do it during an edit of an existing My Food. So I'll be re-entering some of My Foods and making them available to all. This will be one of them. So if you decide to try it as is, you can track it in your diary.

I'm still very new to this site and still learning its ins and outs.
  • twopennygal
    Options
    Here's another recipe:

Homemade Chorizo

Makes about 66 1-ounce balls

This homemade chorizo is great added to eggs and many other dishes for spice and substance. Rachel Ray uses a store-bought chorizo that is very much like this one in many of her recipes. This is not your standard Mexican chorizo made from questionable meat products.

2 Tbs cayenne
    ½ cup chili powder, ancho is the best for this or buy dried chili peppers and grind them yourself
    1 Tbs crushed Mexican oregano
    2 Tbs ground cumin
    1 Tbs ground cinnamon
    1 Tbs granulated garlic
    4 Tbs hot paprika
    1 Tbs kosher salt
    3½ lbs pork shoulder
    2/3 cup red wine vinegar

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Grind the pork and set aside -- this is easiest with an electric meat grinder using the medium disc. I recommend you wear gloves for this and the next step; paprika and chili powder are very hard to get out of fingernails. Add the vinegar to the pork and mix well. Add the spices to the pork and mix well.

If you plan to use the sausage immediately, the spices will not be as strong as they should be. Refrigerate in airtight containers for 2 to 3 days to allow flavors to blend before using. This sausage will keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks. Or you can freeze it after it's spent a few days in the refrigerator.

Suggested storage: Roll into 1-ounce balls and freeze on a tray. When frozen completely, store in a plastic container or bag.

Nutrition: Serving size: 1 1-ounce ball (28g) ; Calories: 51 ; Total Fat: 3g ; Saturated fat: 1g ; Polyunsaturated fat: 1g ; Monounsaturated fat: 1g ; Trans fat: 0g ; Cholesterol: 15mg ; Sodium: 116mg ; Potassium: 114mg ; Total Carbs: .5 ; Fibre: .3g ; Sugars: 0g ; Protein: 4g ; Vitamin A: 11% ; Vitamin C: 0% ; Calcium 1% ; Iron: 4%

I am also sharing the nutrition for this as a food using the serving size of a 1-ounce ball.
  • twopennygal
    Options
    So during more exploration of this site, I noticed the blogs. I think I may post my recipes there (also?). What do you think?