New to it all.

Options
Hey Everyone!

I'm new to this all. My goal is to weight is 150. But I am 220 and I am only five foot five. D: I feel like there is no way I can get to the goal of 150. So I am at wits end. Even if it is going to take a couple years I want to do it. But it seems so odd to be doing it all coming from a big family with a mom that filled our plates to nearly over flowing... I am hoping just counting calories and keeping to my calorie amount will help me :s Any suggestions. Cause I am outta ideas for like what to do for food to stop being so hungry...

Calli

Replies

• jeccawest
    jeccawest Posts: 54
    Options
    start with small exercises, replace any soda with water. just the small things and you will start to see and feel a difference. but try to get at least 30 min of cardio in a day. that always helps! you can do it!
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    hi! Get in the habit of logging everything you eat everyday and stay under your calorie goal. I found some healthy low calorie snacks. I also get hungry. You just make sure if you're eating junk to not go overboard. Drink plenty of water, it will keep you from being too hungry. you'll have some bad days but that's ok. It's a process to go from eating everything to controlling your intake.

Find cardio exercises that you enjoy!

I'm at 245. I'm trying to get to 140, so it's been a long road!

you can add me if you'd like. I need new active friends.
  • Callistospiritor
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. I am on a 1220 calorie goal D: That like nothing compared to my norm. I cant get out much though due to health. "I tend to faint easily" and moving around to much makes it worse. So if anyone know anything exercise related there I could do it would help as well. It just is rough for me. Like today rice crisp ceral and skim milk cream of wheat with two sweet n lows and tuna helper is all I had that and a ton of water... D: Sooo I been doing this yesterday and today and I feel like death. :s
  • jeccawest
    jeccawest Posts: 54
    Options
    even if you start small and just try walking down to the block and back every day. that will help. if you crave something dont deprive yourself. especially if you feel you are doing good, reward yourself!
  • PortiaTemeyer
    Options
    Hi Im Portia,
    I joined yesterday. It is pretty over welmming.
    I too feel like you arwe feeling. I needed to lose 75 lbs by the end of July of this year. I started my journy last November with open heart. I was feeling pretty sure I was going to lose the weight. instead Ive put what I lost back on again. So I just wanted you to know YOU ARE NOT ALONE. maybe we can help each other .
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    that's a low goal for your weight. Eat protein foods to keep you full.
  • ChrysAudrey
    Options
    Something else that can help is eating the right type of foods. Generally speaking the closer to whole foods you get, the lower calories they are and whole foods tend to keeps you fuller longer. High fiber does this as well. It can be a challenge to eat whole natural foods but it has really helped me. Making fruits and veggies the center of most meals with protein will make it so you can eat a larger amount of food for the same amount of calories. going with processed foods like cereal and pasta is a fast way to use up your calories and leaving you hungry and wanting more.
  • TaoBear
    TaoBear Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi, first let me say I'm so glad you're here, and that you're working towards a goal for your health and especially your own sense of happiness. It sounds like you already have a great attitude, and realistic expectations of time for weight loss to occur.

I'm not sure if the food you listed is an average day for you, but perhaps you're tired/faint easily/are hungry due to a lack of fruit and vegetables, and clean protein (read vitamins and nutrients). Just for an example: Broccoli is filling, bursting with fibre and vitamins, and is so calorie low as to be ridiculous. I'm sure the more you're here the more you'll see people saying "eat the rainbow", but it's true. Tuna Helper, cereal, and cream of wheat are all white, processed, and starchy/sugary/high carb. They're also calorie dense, which means you don't eat a big serving of them but WHAM you're at your daily caloric intake, yet starving. Veggies are delicious, and you can eat a lot of them (especially raw!!) and still have calorie-counting-room for more if you're still hungry! And if you're worried about protein, try dipping things (like say, red peppers) in hummus! Or making a spinach/grape/chia seed smoothie! If you're not a vegetable lover... well, maybe you just haven't found the right vegetables, but that just means that an exciting supermarket adventure awaits!

Good Luck!
  • Anport
    Anport Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't worry girl. I know exactly how you feel. I was 220 and now I'm down to 200! It's definitely tough at first, because making a lifestyle change is not easy. But just start out day by day. Something that has definitely helped me is walking. Even if I go to the market, I don't try to get the closest parking spot and instead park a decent distance to get in those extra paces. I'm a student too so I walk to all of my classes four days out of the week. Cutting out sodas of course, and I remember for a while water started to gross me out, but I bought a water bottle and started adding stuff like lemon, cucumber, and mint to make it more fun and delicious. And surprisingly, shopping for healthy foods helps me.
    Shopping for food gets me excited and allows me to plan ahead of time for lunches, breakfasts and snacks. There are a ton of health-food blogs outs there and especially with good photography, turns it into looking something delicious that makes you WANT to make it.
    Another thing too, portion control. If I have a craving, I give into it but in a small portion. Like if I really want a DQ blizzard, I order the mini--which is a genius--so that way, I satisfy my craving but I don't binge. I keep myself busy so I don't think about food when I'm bored, and of course, I get plenty of sleep! Lord knows how much a good night's rest can do to your mood. It makes a huge difference.
  • Callistospiritor
    Options
    Thanks Guys!

Due to suggestions I am changing my lunch today to chicken a green beans :D Yummy!!! hehe I am thankful for all the help. I am wanting to make friends and have fun with this on my journey I know it will take a while. But I am okay with that. Because it means a healthier forty some years where as say the next two will be rough to lose this weight. But I am just hoping I can make some friends and exchange recipes and such. :D yay friends :3