Help! I am back on night shift :(

Hey everyone. I am back on night shift after having been in school since September. I need motivation to not eat crappy food. Anyone else on night shift?

Replies

• lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    BRING POPCORN! and a big salad :happy:
  • BritneeMarlene
    BritneeMarlene Posts: 13 Member
    I like your style!
  • andieellengreen
    andieellengreen Posts: 65 Member
    I work nights in a mental health hospital so at night every one is in bed and it is relativley quiet so staying away from the crisps and biscuits is quite hard but I have so far managed it! I take a healthy meal to work with me and a couple of snacks and that helps me all through the night, I am not hungry at all, I have also found that my new diet plan works so well on nights and I have lost so much weight with been on nights. If you want to add me I could give you more detail what I do in my diet plan for my night shifts?
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    welcome to night of the living dead.10-6....btw I eat normal...I just make my dinner for this shift abt 1am
  • blacklabelbabe
    blacklabelbabe Posts: 48 Member
    POPCORN! It saves me life most nights lol.
  • BritneeMarlene
    So far popcorn seems to be a big hit!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I work 2 dayshifts and 2 nightshifts. There is literally nothing open here after 10 pm except Tim Hortons (which has crappy sandwiches but not even all the time) and McDonalds (depending on where I am at maybe Burger King) and depending on the day, maybe Subway.
    I just bring a lunch. If I happen to be too lazy to pack a lunch, I go early and buy a decent meal. Grocery stores can be pretty helpful. I've bought whole roasted chickens (put in fridge at work to save the rest), tuna cans, salads, fruit, veggies, etc. I also buy those Uncles Bens instant brown rice packs, nothing added to them and they take like 90 seconds.
  • lbmore33
    BRING POPCORN! and a big salad :happy:

omg you go to UD
    I live in bear, de
  • lbmore33
    So far popcorn seems to be a big hit!

damn i forgot I do have popcorn in my bag as well.......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BritneeMarlene
    Before I left for work I cooked salmon. So, I brought salmon and mixed veggies, a granola bar, an apple, and some cottage cheese and strawberries. I know that I packed healthy. I am just so discouraged because I was extremely fit before I went back to school in September and now I am in the worst shape I have ever been. Starting over gets tiring lol.
  • lbmore33
    Before I left for work I cooked salmon. So, I brought salmon and mixed veggies, a granola bar, an apple, and some cottage cheese and strawberries. I know that I packed healthy. I am just so discouraged because I was extremely fit before I went back to school in September and now I am in the worst shape I have ever been. Starting over gets tiring lol.

great minds.....i too have salmon and a mixed vegetables medley.....and all natural trail mix...the popcorn just sits in bag...**breaks bag in case** lol
  • I work nights at a call center... yuck, but I have found first replacing my chair with a yoga ball has helped A TON, and yes popcorn, LOTS of water, fruit snacks, granola bars, laughing cow cheese with reduced fat wheat thins (personal fav) and mandarin oranges are some of my go to snacks when i have having my "middle of the night i am bored and want to snack craving" i also bring a tooth brush and tooth paste to work so if it really is not helping just brush my teeth in the bathroom, seems funny i know but i don't want to snack after.
  • I am on the night shift now for about 7 weeks, and I am having loads of issues adjusting.

My problem isn't so much eating during the night, but overloading when I get home. I am tired and somewhat depressed because I feel so isolated from the rest of the world. I find myself comforting myself with junk food when I get home in the morning, and I'll eat to stay awake a little longer to get things done for myself.

Has anyone else had this problem? How do you all cope with the stress and depression of the night shift?
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Night shifter here! I always just bring my own food to work with me, it's way too easy to over eat on the junk that is available to buy in the middle of the night.

For me, the problem with the night shift is the general fatigue and just not ever really feeling "good". I am making a super extra effort to take care of my health to try to overcome that jet lagged feeling.