Birth Control and Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• BettyyRoss
    BettyyRoss Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am on the depo shot and have been since my son was born three years ago, in the begining I noticed a little weight gain but after that It hasnt seemed to do much more and it hasnt hindered my weight loss at all.. I think the only thing hindering me is me lol anyway to answer the question no I dont belive all the crap people say about the depo shot blah blah blah lol I love it! I get it once every three months and It does not stop me from losing weight (if anything it helps to keep me on track cause i have to weigh everyt ime i go to get it lol) Good luck hun! Hang in there

does it also help with keeping your skin clear? I've noticed while being on Yaz my face began breaking out a lot! I've never had that issue.

Nope. Dianette does though. Not a single spot in over 2 years whilst I was on that.

that's wonderful! my husband told me to go on the shot and give it a try. i think i will.
  • clairification
    clairification Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was on Yaz for a couple months and had to be taken off because of how bad it made my skin.
  • amiles21693
    Options
    I started out on Yaz and wound up having to go to the hospital. Then I gained 50lbs when I tried the depo shot. It was awful. Now, I'm on a lower dosage pill and it has not affected my weight loss at all.
    If you look at my photos, the picture of me in the pink and black dress is from when I was on the depo. I look swollen! lol.
  • mlc323
    Options
    birth control doesn't cause weight gain. birth control changes your hormones which in turn affects your eating habits/activity level.
    I've been on birth control of one type or another for over 10 years and only started gaining weight once I stopped being active. Re-evaluate your diet and lifestyle. Don't blame a pill for the low activity level and high fat foods you are eating.
  • BettyyRoss
    Options
    I was on Yaz for a couple months and had to be taken off because of how bad it made my skin.

Same here!!! I read online that you should give it a few months for your body to get used to it and what not. But I tried it for two months and within those two months it made my face breakout so much, it's disgusting. I got off it.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am on Lovara bc pills and I didnt gain any weight while on those. It is possible to sill lose while on the pill.
  • BettyyRoss
    Options
    I started out on Yaz and wound up having to go to the hospital. Then I gained 50lbs when I tried the depo shot. It was awful. Now, I'm on a lower dosage pill and it has not affected my weight loss at all.

What's the name of the pill you are on now?
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add that after reading countless reviews on the different brands of birth control (not to mention different forms of medication) I have found that every prescription medication, every different birth control, affects each single person differently. While some people may have no side effects others have severe side effects. On the same pill some people lose weight while others gain. Sometimes it may be other factors, not the pill, causing these changes but I think the general consensus (and the logical conclusion) is that these pills do affect us in ways the doctors have yet to understand.

As for studies. Until they study a couple million women of every type over many years I don't know how much faith I can put into them.
  • BettyyRoss
    Options
    I wanted to add that after reading countless reviews on the different brands of birth control (not to mention different forms of medication) I have found that every prescription medication, every different birth control, affects each single person differently. While some people may have no side effects others have severe side effects. On the same pill some people lose weight while others gain. Sometimes it may be other factors, not the pill, causing these changes but I think the general consensus (and the logical conclusion) is that these pills do affect us in ways the doctors have yet to understand.

As for studies. Until they study a couple million women of every type over many years I don't know how much faith I can put into them.

^ THIS.
  • amiles21693
    Options

What's the name of the pill you are on now?

I'm on Ortho Cyclen
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    been on the pill since i was 16 and actually lost weight when i began taking it, and it has never caused me to gain weight. my dr also told me it was myth that i would gain because that was a concern i had.... so im not sure! maybe its just one of those thing, natural weight gain due to aging, water retaining if its not a big gain, but i dont really know, it might not suit your body even....
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No.

Lost 56 pounds on Yaz.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    nope- on depo
  • I TOOK YAZ AFTER I HAD MY SON AND IT HELPED W MOOD SWINGS WHICH HELPED ME FEEL BETTER AND WANT TO WORK OUT AND EAT BETTER AND I TOOK OTHER PILLS THAT OFTEN MADE ME HUNGRIER BUT W YAZ I DID REALLY WELL AND LOST 30 POUNDS W DIET AND EXCERCISE IN A MONTH OR SO YOU WILL NOT FEEL THE MOOD SWINGS AND OTHER STUFF BECAUSE YAZ HELPS TO PREVENT THEM..AS FOR THE BLOATING .. LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER.. I WAS GOING TO GO BACK ON YAZ BUT THEY R QUITE EXPENSIVE EVEN W MY INSURANCE SO GONNA TRY SOMETHING ELSE BUT I DO LOVE IT ..SO I'D SAY KEEP AT IT AND GOOD LUCK
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    I gained 20 pounds after I got married, before starting birth control for treating/preventing cysts. Since starting the pill though, I have found that I cannot lose weight at all. I had been less active and eating bad (thanks hubby!), but in the past two years I've tried eating just 1200 cals and working out like crazy and see no difference. Scale does not move. And I've only just starting seeing improvements in toning after starting weight training.
  • mikki3
    mikki3 Posts: 63
    Options
    There was a study recently that showed birth control doesn't actually make you gain weight.

As you get older you have to tailor your habits or you will gain.

I have been on bc for 7 years and ya I gained weight but because I ate too much and didnt exercise enough.

My suggestion is eat a deficit high protein and exercise both cardio and strength training. Once I started doing these thing i started losing weight.

I agree with this. I was on the pill for *ahem* 25 years and went off a little over a year ago. I didn't start gaining weight until I turned 30 (15 years after I went on it) when my metabolism ground to a halt. I hoped that going off would magically drop some weight. Sad to say that it didn't. The weight I have lost is due to better eating habits and exercise.
  • Fancytiger
    Options
    I know this is an old post but I think long term use of hormonal bcp messed me up. I've been on so many different kinds on & off for the last 24 yrs. I had horrible cramping & would get so sick with nausea/vomiting that my parents put me on bcp to regulate which itdid help. The pills worked great for many years. Now I'm 38 & noticed it is extremely difficult to lose weight. I have tried many diets, counting calories, weight training, cardio etc & can't lose anything. For the last 6 yrs I have consistently been on Reclipsen & learned it was the cause of my migraines so my NP switched me to Microgestin FE 1/20. I was on it for 2 months & experienced depression, moodiness & horrible bloat so I went to my Dr & he put me on Ortho Tri Cylen Lo. I just finished the pack & I am now at my heaviest weight ever! I have experienced hair loss, depression, mood swings, anger issues & severe bloating during my period! I look 3 or 4 months pregnant in a baggy tshirt! I have been eating clean & exercising 5 days a week 1-2 hrs a day and no success. I believe the pill does cause weight gain & I am a witness to that myself. In the past when they switched my bcp I would maybe gain 3-5 lbs & was able to maintain weight around 137-142lb. I now weigh 170lbs! I eat healthier now than I did back then. I am stopping my bcp today because I think my body has had enough synthetic hormones. Everyone is different. Bcp work great for some & not so great for others. I guess you have to find what works best for you. Good luck.
  • TreddersPT
    TreddersPT Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have gained about 13 lbs in the last year due to Implanon. I am having this thing taken out this month! I've lost 4 lbs in the last couple of weeks and I don't want Implanon to impede anymore of my progress.

If you've managed to lose 4lbs in a few weeks, surely it's not the Implanon that has caused the weight gain? I believe contraceptives can sometimes increase appetite/ cravings but they don't cause weight gain by themselves.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    When there was a scare over my sort of pill I switched - and put on weight hand had terrible skin. Soon as I switched back it went away. My current weight problem has been the result of overeating (and drinking). I've heard stoories about weight gain on the implant - every time the nure suggests alternative measures I say "no thanks" - they won't let me have it past 50 but it may be academic by then:ohwell:
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I was on Depo a few years ago for about 4/5 years, and in that time was when I lost the biggest amount of weight. I then switched to Cilest, and found it ridiculously hard to lose weight when I was on this and gained like 2 stone. I've now switched back to depo and am already seeing a change in my eating habits, energy levels etc. So yes, I've noticed good and bad effects of the pill. Like people have said, it doesn't directly effect your weight but effects your hormones etc. My advice would be to speak to your nurse and see what she advises if you're really struggling!