Drinking Whey Protein for Workouts

Options
I've never tried drinking whey protein shakes but I heard they can help with workouts. I'm going to start a second round of the Insanity Workout soon and I was wondering if it'd be helpful to invest in whey protein. I'm looking to lose some weight. I understand that whey protein shakes have a lot of calories, so if you aren't keeping track of how much you eat you could easily be adding more calories than you burn, but my main question is, does whey protein make you gain weight/bulk even if you're cutting calories, or can it help you lose weight/fat?

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've never tried drinking whey protein shakes but I heard they can help with workouts. I'm going to start a second round of the Insanity Workout soon and I was wondering if it'd be helpful to invest in whey protein. I'm looking to lose some weight. I understand that whey protein shakes have a lot of calories, so if you aren't keeping track of how much you eat you could easily be adding more calories than you burn, but my main question is, does whey protein make you gain weight/bulk even if you're cutting calories, or can it help you lose weight/fat?
    Most people use whey protein as a supplement to ... well, get enough protein/EAA's to fuel the repair/recovery of muscle.

It's not a weight-loss aid per se (though dietary protein can help you feel more satiated) and isn't very high in calories. What I use has 150 calories per scoop and is 35g of protein.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    whey protein is food. nothing more or less. you can replace whey protein with chicken and your body wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
  • Fancytiger
    Options
    Whey is great as a post workout shake especially if you consume it within 30 mins of exercise. It helps with muscle repair & recovery. You will notice that you won't be as sore. If you can tolerate dairy then whey is good. If you can't then try a plant based protein like rice or hemp. A great high quality protein with not so many calories would be Gold Standard Optimum Nutrition. You can get this online or at your local GNC store. There are a lot of protein shakes that have a lot of calories and sugars so be sure to read the label.
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm not as sore when I drink whey shakes. I just got a new nut flavor shake and it's amazing!
    I had a brake between this new shake and my last one and I felt a difference. Perhaps not a huge difference, but still different