5:2 fasting and exercise calories

Options
Miiimii
Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
Hi there,

I need some advice. I'm doing a 5:2 fasting - so I eat on two days of the week only 500 calories (each day). I'm not sure what to do when I'm exercising on these days - should I eat the calories back even when I'm one a fast?
For example today I only ate 500 calories and burned in my exercises around 850 calories. So should I go over my 500 fasting calories or not?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Please don't start a discussion about fasting is good of bad here - I just need some advice with my exercise calories. Thanks.

Replies

• Miiimii
    Options
    Anyone?
  • trannguyen2711
    Options
    It's dangerous. After 5 days fasting, your body will store fat more when you eat again.
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    It's dangerous. After 5 days fasting, your body will store fat more when you eat again.

She's not fasting five days a week, she's eating normally five times a week and eating 500 calories the other two days, or that's how I interpreted it!
  • Tigerleaf
    Options
    No you shouldn't eat the calories back. The essential point is that you stay under 500 cals to get the benefits (weight loss and a whole host of other things!). You will negate this if you eat the calories back. I never find I feel the need to eat the cals back, but I only engage in light exercise - walking, yoga, gentle cycling - on fast days. If it's a choice between exercise and not eating the extra cals, just forgo the exercise for that day. You will still lose sitting on your *kitten* all day if you stick with the fast cals.

Hope this helps.

Kate
  • Miiimii
    Options
    Right. I'm fasting 2 days and eat 5 days normal - not the other way round. ;-)

Thanks for the advice - that's what I thought and did the last have year. But I upped my exercises a bit in the last week and then wasn't sure. This night I woke up with hunger pain - think I did a bit to much exercise for my 500cal. Will not happen again. ;-)
  • Jude_V
    Jude_V Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    From reading the book I would advise not exercising on your fast days...