Eating immediately before or after a workout?

Options
mdev1
mdev1 Posts: 18 Member
With time constrained as it is for most of us, I am typically in a situation where I can grab a bite and work out or, workout and then eat. This leads me to ask, which is better for the metabolism and fat burning? It seems that working out on an empty tank would result in less caloric burn. However, eating right after a workout might also cause the body to use up the new nutrients rather than pull from internal energy stores (fat).

I also wonder, is there any difference between how the body reacts with strength training versus cardiovascular training? Any educated guesses on which choice would be better or worse?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    It really all boils down to calorie deficit. Without it, there is no weight or fat loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat much before cardio, but that's to avoid an upset stomach. If you are in for a really intense workout, consuming some before and even during will keep you from running out of fuel, but if I'm doing an hour or less, I don't usually worry abot this. You might find people on both sides of the fence as far as what is better for fat burning, but my thought is that whatever helps you get the best workout in is the best one for fat burning. There is some thought behind the theory that fueling up within 30 min of finishing helps with recovery, but I imagine this would also be true for anything consumed directly before a shorter workout too. Personally, I don't think it makes that big a difference as long as you are getting in the best workout you can.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    In the end it comes down to personnel preference. Most people can't tolerate eating solid foods immediately before training but something like 6 oz of fruit juice or coconut water 20-30 before working would be okay. Then after have your post workout meal. This meal can be 30 min or even up to 3 hrs later. I wouldn't get caught up too much whether working out on an empty stomach burns less calories or not. You could try working out on an empty stomach and see how you feel. A lot of people do this. I tried for a while but I need to have a quick acting carb source before hand.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You will ultimately need to figure out what works best for you. I have found that I prefer to eat right around 2 hours before any high intensity workout, if I eat any closer to the workout it has to be something small and light (maybe fruit or veggies) otherwise I get nauseous. If I don't eat at all before a workout or more than 2 hours before I feel very drained and can't push myself as hard throughout the workout, especially longer workouts. I am a big fan of recovery meals or snacks for 2 reasons; I've found that they do help prevent soreness (especially protein) and since I'm usually not very hungry after my workouts if I do have a small meal/snack it keeps me very full and prevents me from wanting to eat a million calories a couple/few hours later. The most important thing for me is to stay hydrated before, during and after my workouts. Good luck in finding the balance that works best for you!
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Eating close a workout would make me want to puke during the workout. I wait at least an hour, usually more.
  • Hike_higher
    Options
    My personal preference is to eat just a little before hitting it hard in the mornings. If I don't, I really don't feel like I get in a good strong workout.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Usually, I eat a meal and/or a protein bar prior to a strenght training workout. Usually will add a protein shake mid-workout. Often I'll eat a little something afterward if my sugar seems low ... I have been pretty shaky after a cardio session... A bit of granola usually stabilizes me. Most agree that meal timing has been pretty much debunked... intake over time makes the biggest difference. Meal timing with regard to weight loss that is... Meal timing is EVERYTHING when it comes to energy for working out.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Well you should always eat SOMETHING within 45 min after working out. My plan is to eat a granola bar before workout and eat breakfast or protein shake afterwards :)
  • michellewong699
    michellewong699 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I like to eat after I work out. I am currently doing the 30 day shred and I will feel sick if I eat before I do it. It happened a couple times and it was not pleasant >.< When I eat afterwards, however, I tend to feel more energized, as if I was refueled. In the end, it is what your body wants, so listen to that ultimately.
  • jsblk3000
    Options
    Right before a workout or during a workout anything besides simple carbs is probably wasting your time because it won't be used during the session. When you cardio right after a big meal many of the enzymes to breakdown the food denature from the increased body temperature and are inefficient causing an upset stomach or vomit (why milk is notorious to runners). Waiting about 1- 2 hours after eating a large meal before working out is probably the best advice. Post workout your body will probably signal hunger anyway so just eat as normal and you don't have to rush a whey shake or anything but many people like to and it's a personal preference. Your body does replenish all glycogen stores in the muscle and liver after a hard workout within about 24 hours but if you don't eat your metabolic processes will take precedence and thus you won't replenish "recover" as fast. Which is why it's also important to stay within your macro ranges. Proper rest, sufficient nutrients, and time between workouts to replenish is pretty much The guide to increased fitness. Just tailor your eating patterns and times around your lifestyle.
  • cogsblogs23
    Options
    No idea about the metabolism answer but personally I have a smoothie only before hitting the gym. If I have food in my stomach it makes me feel a bit squirmy, but without anything makes me sluggish. Probably not the most nutritional option but this morning I had a banana/mango/protein/coffee/milk smoothie. Sounds disgusting but it was amazing and saved me from a caffeine induced headache kicking in.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner as soon as I get in from work, then lift, then have a protein shake, and if I have cals left over I'll eat more too.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    For me personally, breakfast is consumed at roughly 5am and workout starts at 7am letting all those morning carbs get digested and metabolised and then I'll have a post workout shake within 30 minutes of finishing.

I used to train fasted but didn't feel as strong but have always tried to consume something pretty shortly after finishing. My current plan works well for me and is one I'll be sticking to :)
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'd always choose to eat afterward, but not IMMEDIATELY after. Working out on an empty stomach works best for me (after coffee with heavy cream, so those are some calories/energy, but I still feel pretty empty)...I'd puke for sure with the high-intensity workouts we do 'round here.
    I think it's really all down to personal preference, as no strong research seems to support one way or the other (as far as I've read...maybe there's more out there, though!). If you work out after eating, though, digestion will be slowed b/c your sympathetic nevous systems sends most resources to the areas in immediate need (ie to your skeletal muscles when working out).

Just do what feels good to you, and what you can manage, time-wise.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    60mins before I work out, chicken with peppers.

After working out I'll have a shake, 39g of protein and 21g of oats.

Koing
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    With time constrained as it is for most of us, I am typically in a situation where I can grab a bite and work out or, workout and then eat. This leads me to ask, which is better for the metabolism and fat burning? It seems that working out on an empty tank would result in less caloric burn. However, eating right after a workout might also cause the body to use up the new nutrients rather than pull from internal energy stores (fat).

I also wonder, is there any difference between how the body reacts with strength training versus cardiovascular training? Any educated guesses on which choice would be better or worse?

For Cardio and Cardio only, my nutritionist trainier says it's best ot workout on an empty stomach to burn fat. Why, becasue your energy reserve come from carohydrate first, fats second. No carbs available, so you burn the fat. I'm giving it a try, my only issue, I'm not a morning person! Oh well it's only cardio. :grumble: :bigsmile:
  • bloodedflowers
    Options
    I found that I always have to eat a small amount of food before I work out (especially if I am doing HI) otherwise I feel really sick part-way through. I've heard that eating after a work out is supposed to be the best thing to do because your metabolism increases in the hours after it which means your body will continue to burn calories at a higher rate than your BMR.

At the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference as long as you create a calorie deficit overall you'll be fine! ^_^
  • qasim91
    qasim91 Posts: 25
    Options
    Personally I prefer to eat an hour before, or if it is a bigger meal, then 2 hours. Occasionally when I have eaten afterwards, within 15 minutes, I've not had much appetite.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    Well you should always eat SOMETHING within 45 min after working out. My plan is to eat a granola bar before workout and eat breakfast or protein shake afterwards :)

^ Sorry, but that's complete BS.
    In the sense that it's broscience AND bull. It all really comes down to personal preference, really. There's no difference :)
  • jocomoso
    jocomoso Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    hi there depending on the type of workout....

so if you are doing aerobics - ie running or jogging not a good idea to have a heavy meal beforehand - makes you feel rough - colic stomach cramps and nausea! so 2 hours before - have something like banana with peanut butter - protein and complex carbs that take a while to get into your system....

if you are spinning or cycling - I have something 2 hours before and then another high protein snack or yogurt or some raisins about 45 mins before and sometimes take a banana with me... (you see I like bananas!)

afterwards - either way - eat low fat high protein within an hour of finishing - your body utlises the protein and builds muscle (my gym instructor gave me that piece of advice!)
    hope this helps!!
    Jo