Eating immediately before or after a workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Eating and workout timing is like feeding Gremlins - isn't it ALWAYS after midnight?

Calorific defect over time is what counts for fat loss, not what time of day you consume those calories. If you work out harder with some fuel inside you, that's what works best for you.
  • sarahf3092
    sarahf3092 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I was recommended by a trainer to have protein shake straight after my work out. Find it works for me, fills my hunger and feel my repair. You need to see what works for you though......
  • grabenson7
    Options
    It does not seam to mather to me, the only thing i do is if iv eaten first i do wait about a hour before i start.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    personally i like the idea of a bit of fuel in your body for a workout, it makes no difference to weight loss, you burn the same calories, eat the same amount, just depends on preference really
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee before my workout, and am certain to get in at least two more shots in between 30-60 minutes post-workout to keep myself from going catabolic.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat afterwards - my exercise is currently cycling to work and home again. I eat breakfast when I arrive at work (no appetite when I first get up), lunch between and then have my dinner when I get home.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    On days I work (I work 11p-7a I will eat (normally oatmeal and peanut butter) around 3/4 am. I work out around 8:30. I drink coffee all night before workingout. I have a protein shake within 30 min of lifting/cardio to help with my recovery. Normally I then go to sleep and get up and eat something small, or wait for dinner and then I eat again around 1130 after I get to work. On days I dont work, I normally get a protein plus bar on my way to the Y. Just so I dont get pangs from not eating.
  • abadmum
    abadmum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba in the evening 3 times a week.. two of them are quite late so I eat my tea a couple of hours before I go to those ones..

Monday night that went wrong as I was late home from work which meant I ate my meal (kedgeree) only 45 mins before I started Zumba... I won't be doing that again!!!

I felt so sick after and got really bad stomach cramps.. and lets just say I was glad I made it home quite quickly! I was rough the rest of the evening and was constantly on the loo. NOT GOOD!! won't be doing that again!

so from now on if I can't eat a good couple of hours before I will have something like a banana to keep me going, plenty of water before and especially during and then eat after..
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I eat a proper meal 2 -3 hours before my workout (this is also my breakfast though) and may take a caffeine pill (depends how I'm feeling) 10 min before my workout... Then after, whenever I get the chance - in my opinion the 'window of opportunity' is really just BS and a way to make supplement companies earn more profit ! I take a protein shake after my workout not because of the myth but because I'm hungry but not that hungry as I'm still sort of bloated from the water I drank during my workout!
  • mdev1
    mdev1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ...Which is why it's also important to stay within your macro ranges...

Can you explain how that is measured and give an example of adjusting one's diet or regimen to maintain a proper macro range?