MFP and Sugar!

Options
Hi all,

I'm so confused about Sugars - are they really that bad?!

Also, I regularly go over my daily sugar intake that MFP has calculated for me. I eat reasonably healthy and I know I'm on the right track what with having lost 40lbs now, but this sugar thing really bugs me!

Example - for my breakfast today I had Weetabix with Almond Milk and a handful of raisins PLUS a Protein shake (made up of skimmed milk, banana and scoop of chocolate myprotein). I was uber hungry his morning hence the shake. However, looking on MFP I've already gone over my sugar intake for the day! :noway: What am I meant to do for the rest of the day eat Lettuce leaves and drink water???!! :laugh:

Would love your thoughts/advice on this topic!

Replies

• gazzala85
    gazzala85 Posts: 19
    Options
    i have gone over my sugar intake nearly everyday, im in the same boat as u
    i dnt know what to eat lol
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I do too and I only get my sugar from my 3 fruits a day I eat.... I think the sugar value is set too low. I am not worried about it, for fruit is a natural sugar, not refined.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Really if its sugar from fruit dont worry sbout it, unless you have blood sugar problems. 2 pieces of fruit will put you over. I dont even track it anymore.
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! Always seem to be over my sugar by mid morning - having had porridge, with a tiny bit of honey (supposed to be good sugar... i think!), some fruit and a coffee!

I know there is sugar in a lot of things, and there is good and bad sugar, bad being the refined type, good being the natural type. But I've also read somewhere that even the natural type, from fruit, milk etc, can be bad if you have too much.

Then I found a study saying that all sugar should be limited to around 25g a day... now that for me is nearly impossible, but if it's going to affect my health, I'll do it.

How many grams do you have on a normal day Carlz?

Would love to hear what others do / think.

Thanks for posting this!
  • Jullessi
    Jullessi Posts: 38
    Options
    I was finding this too and it was depressing to I changed it to fibre, much more helpful anyway.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You will hear two diametrically opposed viewpoints on this topic. Some people believe sugar is the root cause of our obesity epidemic, that it is addictive and it's basically out to get you. Others believe that sugar is simply a carb and you don't need to worry about it at all so eat up.

For me, I changed my settings so sugar isn't even reported. I don't care because I don't think what I eat is unreasonable. I eat plenty of fruit and I have ice cream almost every day. The fruit alone would put me over the MFP sugar allowance, and anything that tells me I should eat less fruit, or that tells me I can't have one measly serving of ice cream every day, is something I'm going to ignore. Do I binge on sugar? No.

Focus on what matters. Calories, calories, calories. Then make sure you're getting enough protein and good fats, sufficient fiber, and satisfying your micronutrient needs. Also strength train and do some cardio. After that, stop. If you do want good nutrition info, then go to the source, such as pubmed.

Edit: I am obviously not speaking to diabetics here. Just to be clear.
  • carlz82
    carlz82 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one; I knew I wouldn't be!! I always thought the sugar thing on MFP was a bit stupid :tongue:

Just been looking at my diary from last week and my total sugars for the week should be 235g mine was 427g :sad: However, I have Banana for breakfast most days and then fruit in the afternoon etc The only "naughty" thing I have really is dark chocolate from time to time and maybe some crisps at the weekend as a treat.
  • carlz82
    carlz82 Posts: 19
    Options
    You will hear two diametrically opposed viewpoints on this topic. Some people believe sugar is the root cause of our obesity epidemic, that it is addictive and it's basically out to get you. Others believe that sugar is simply a carb and you don't need to worry about it at all so eat up.

For me, I changed my settings so sugar isn't even reported. I don't care because I don't think what I eat is unreasonable. I eat plenty of fruit and I have ice cream almost every day. The fruit alone would put me over the MFP sugar allowance, and anything that tells me I should eat less fruit, or that tells me I can't have one measly serving of ice cream every day, is something I'm going to ignore. Do I binge on sugar? No.

Focus on what matters. Calories, calories, calories. Then make sure you're getting enough protein and good fats, sufficient fiber, and satisfying your micronutrient needs. Also strength train and do some cardio. After that, stop. If you do want good nutrition info, then go to the source, such as pubmed.

Edit: I am obviously not speaking to diabetics here. Just to be clear.

Thankyou; brilliant advice!! :smile:
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Argh, I feel ya on this one. I should just stop tracking my sugar because the sugar settings do indeed seem ridiculously low. I don't eat a lot of junk food or refined sugars except in my oatmeal, but then I eat a banana and i am already over for the day. I have to beware of letting it make me feel fearful of fruit. :laugh: It's frustrating, but I'd not worry about it too much if you aren't eating really high amounts of it.
  • GaloisGirl
    GaloisGirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was so proud or my daily 2g of sugar and looked at my Nestle Fintess bar: they have 6g, not 1 as in the database. :(