Injury - no excersise for 2 weeks. Advice/Ideas please

Options
Hi,

I have Achilles tendinitis from running too much. I have just come from the physio who has said no exercise (aerobic) on my feet for the rest of this week and the whole of next week.

What should I amend my calorie intake to? I am trying to lose 2lbs a week.

I can go swimming but have straps on my legs so can't do that until they're off - which will be at least a week.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Follow your doctors instructions!! You'll be back on your feet soon enough. Now's a great time to pay greater attention to you diet and you can always do simple upper body exercise (that don't involve pressure on your legs or feet). Hang in there!!:smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi,

I have Achilles tendinitis from running too much. I have just come from the physio who has said no exercise (aerobic) on my feet for the rest of this week and the whole of next week.

What should I amend my calorie intake to? I am trying to lose 2lbs a week.

I can go swimming but have straps on my legs so can't do that until they're off - which will be at least a week.

Thanks in advance for your help.

First, start weight training, there are tons of moves you can do on a bench with a bar or free weights. Heck, a good weight training program will provide greater results than just running. Second, 2 lbs per week is too aggressive for someone with 30 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1 lb max, which means eating back exercise calories. Most women I know lose at about 1700-2100 calories total, which is probably where you should be. But while you are injured, I would also concentrate on getting more protein to help your body repair. And quite frankly, I would set your goal at 1/2 lb per week or at maintenance while injured to ensure your body receives enough fuel to repair itself. Unfeeding your body can lead to a slower recovery process.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    When I hurt my knee, I still went to the gym and did the upper body weight machines. If that is too much, sit and do upper body exercises with dumbbells or just shadow box. You can lower your calories for the week or just stay under your goal until you get back to your regular routine.
  • Bikini4June
    Bikini4June Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!

@psulemon: I will amend my weight loss aim to 0.5lb a week for now and then increase that up to 1lb for when I'm better. i had not realised that the 2lbs was too much. This week I lost 2lbs already but I sense that's because i am quite new to eating less so perhaps my body is surprised!

I will sit at the gym and do weight training until better.

Have a good day!
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I agree with psulemon, do some weight training and build up you muscle which will help burn more cal once your on your feet

you can do some ab work out also

not sureif you can do girl push up

have a look at http://printableworkouts.com/

good luck and good on you for not just sitting back coz you cant run, every small step to your goal
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Weight train. Excessive cardio early on was how I originally injured my knee. Stop thinking you're going to burn all the weight off and instead focus on your diet and a reasonable program that includes weight training. That and drop your goal loss to one pound per week. The trick is long-term commitment, not a weekly number you can throw up on the board.
  • BuckeyeBabe10
    BuckeyeBabe10 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Definitely stay off that foot! I was a lacrosse player and I got Achilles Tendinitis three times because I never properly rested/stayed off my foot and rehabbed (iced/foot and ankle exercises). I wasn't going to miss any games - my team needed me. :o)

But please rest that foot and do what the doctor recommended. You can always work on your upper body using weights, just refrain from the cardio in the meantime (until you can swim) and maybe focus on abs/upper body.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I'm in the same situation but with my IT band! been told to do the same as you and no running for at least 3 weeks! I don't know what to do with myself when I can't run