Scales saying different things!!!

Options
I've been using the scales at the gym and they've been telling me I'm 11 stone! (154lb) which I was overjoyed with! However I went to my mum's house the other day and weighed myself there and her electric scale told me I was 11 stone 12lb! I was at the gym yesterday and the dial stopped slightly below 11 stone.
My friend was with me who's weighed 10 stone for as long as she can remember was told by the gym scale that she was slightly over 10 stone but only by a couple of lbs.

I'm feeling a little paranoid now though, I don't know what scales are right!!! I don't have my own set at my home because I've have a history of obsession over weight and don't want to fall back into that.

Which scale do I use?!

Replies

• just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Use them all. Then go to several other places and use all of their scales. Average out the numbers or pick the one you like best.

Or:
    1. Pick one scale
    2. Use it to keep track of which way things are going
    3. Use the way you look and how your clothes fit as a more accurate metric for what's going on
    4. ?????
    5. Profit
  • christied829
    Options
    Scales can vary a lot depending on calibration. Time of day, clothing, TOM, etc. also play a role in what the scale will read. Pick one scale and try to weigh yourself at roughly the same time of day.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you want to use but use the same one all the time. It doesn't really matter what the number on it is as long as it's going in the right direction. You don't weigh more at your mom's than you do at the gym, the scales are just different. The good news is we aren't required to wear our weight for the world to see so the number doesn't really matter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Pick one, use one. You're going to get something different on every scale you step on...they're all calibrated slightly different.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you want to use but use the same one all the time. It doesn't really matter what the number on it is as long as it's going in the right direction. You don't weigh more at your mom's than you do at the gym, the scales are just different. The good news is we aren't required to wear our weight for the world to see so the number doesn't really matter.

Love that last sentence!

Repeating: Pick one scale, weigh yourself on it roughly the same time every day wearing roughly the same clothing (or nothing at all). Keep in mind that things like food you've eating, not having gone #2 for a while, whatever you've had to drink, what you're wearing, etc can have a great deal of influence of what the scale says.

Example: one gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds so if you've had 4 cups of water and haven't peed yet, you'll be up at least 2 pounds just due to that water you've had to drink.