Help!! What are these?

Options
So I FINALLY tried out the weight machines for the very first time today!! It went great, mostly because of the helpful instructions posted on each machine.

But next to the ab machines, I saw these two things (no weights, so I guess "machine" isn't the right word). They look intriguing, but came with no instructions - not even a name posted. Help me please, what are these called and how do I use them??

Thanks, everyone! :smile:

IMG_+++1.jpg

IMG_+++2.jpg

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Maybe some sort of torture devices:bigsmile:
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    The first is a free standing reverse incline for you to do sit up on. You hook your feet under the roller pads, and lay back with your head on the other side. Depending on the way the padding is set up, you might also be able to do back extensions on them, but only if there's padding far enough down the side with the rollers to protect your thighs from the frame.

The second one looks more like it's properly set up for back extensions. At least from my experience.

I've seen some use these for body weight work, or as they gained experience and/or core strength with weight plates to help add some extra resistance.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The first is a free standing reverse incline for you to do sit up on. You hook your feet under the roller pads, and lay back with your head on the other side. Depending on the way the padding is set up, you might also be able to do back extensions on them, but only if there's padding far enough down the side with the rollers to protect your thighs from the frame.

The second one looks more like it's properly set up for back extensions. At least from my experience.

I've seen some use these for body weight work, or as they gained experience and/or core strength with weight plates to help add some extra resistance.
    I think you are right..also with the back extensions (not good for your spine to do back extensions) but you can do side extensions. On the bottom pic, stand so your hip is against the pads (you will be on a lean) and extend toward the floor and back up straight then down again..switch to other side to get both sides.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I think you are right..also with the back extensions (not good for your spine to do back extensions) but you can do side extensions. On the bottom pic, stand so your hip is against the pads (you will be on a lean) and extend toward the floor and back up straight then down again..switch to other side to get both sides.

It's not good for my spine to do back extensions? Really? It seems I arch my back all the time with no issue. :ohwell:
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options

It's not good for my spine to do back extensions? Really? It seems I arch my back all the time with no issue. :ohwell:
    I have done them but one of the coaches at the gym told me just last week its not a good idea...
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love this thing! I don't know what it's called though. It really works my stomach and lower back. I don't use any weights with it. I've seen a few people hold weights to their chests when they do the exercise.
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Roman Chair
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Think of the second machine as a way to vertically do those murderous pilates sideways crunches.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i know the second one is good for back extensions, I love using it! It feels so good to stretch out your back on it. You can add a weight that you hold crossed in your chest to add weight if you want to
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options

I have done them but one of the coaches at the gym told me just last week its not a good idea...

I've never experienced spine problems doing back extensions, and I feel they are a good exercise to strengthen the lumbar region. Unless if you have problems with your spine, then I feel you'd be fine using it.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options

I've never experienced spine problems doing back extensions, and I feel they are a good exercise to strengthen the lumbar region. Unless if you have problems with your spine, then I feel you'd be fine using it.

When you do back extensions, those are good, just make sure you don't flex your back PAST the plane of your body. Especially when you are working under weight. I've got some nasty back problems, and one of the exercises RECOMMENDED for me were back extensions... with the above advice. When you hyper extend your back (ie, take it past the plane of the body), you put extra stress on your disks, which causes them to want to pop out forward. If you have a healthy back, proper muscle tone in the lumbar region, then you can usually get away with this with out issue. But, it is a time bomb waiting to burst on you. And, believe me, when a disc gets misaligned it HURTS! And, it takes forever for the muscles, ligaments, and just about everything else in the vicinity to recover.
  • NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Perfect, thank you all for the advice on the Roman Chair - I think I understand what it is now and how to use it safely, so I'll try to give it a go at the gym today!

I still a little confused about the first one, though... it sounds like you're saying it's meant for a kind of sit-up where you're almost upside-down, with your feet hooked under the roller pads for stability?
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I still a little confused about the first one, though... it sounds like you're saying it's meant for a kind of sit-up where you're almost upside-down, with your feet hooked under the roller pads for stability?

Yep! It allows you a greater range of motion than laying on the floor. You can do any kind of sit-ups, crunches, etc. I sometimes use a medicine ball to add some resistance. In my opinion (not a personal trainer or anything), it helps work the lower ab muscles more than laying on the floor would. Kind of hard to get in and out of without looking like an idiot, though ;)
  • khalilahmoody
    Options
    I guess that is why I so love going to the Y in my neighborhood. The people there don't make you feel so stupid when you don't know how to use the equipment and they are always willing to help you. When you run into this problem again feel free to ask the people around you. Most of the time they will be ready to help (unless you run into one of those people who are too serious lol ). I have been going to the Y for about a year now and still have not used everything in it. Eventually I will get around to it I guess. Good luck!