Got over my mental block (with a little help!)

Options
Hey all,

I just wanted to share this with anyone who shares my kind of mentality about things/life as it's really helped me out of a mental rut.

Basically I'm all up for losing weight, and have made some progress so far by myself and have been happily trundling along on my journey.

But I love my evening glass of wine and I work in an environment where after work we generally end up in a bar at least 2 nights of the week. I also started smoking about 4 years ago and although never had much more than on average 5 a day - it's been consistent. I've realised I'm finding it hard to kick these habits - or at least make it so I don't have a dependency on any of them. I had come to realise that if I knew I didn't have a glass of wine, or packet of cigs to have at home - I would purposely make a detour to go buy them on the way. I couldn't make it one day without having a glass of wine - it wasn't even a conscious thing. There was wine in the house (because my OH buys it or brings it home from work). I pour a glass without even thinking. But it started to bother me, and I realised it's not really cool as my body never got a chance for a rest.:sick:

Also have to mention, I'm stubborn and competitive and can't resist a challenge!

My mum knows all this, so in order to help me out, she has set me a challenge. Quite simple. But I have to go 2 weeks without alcohol, without cigarettes and eating healthier portion sizes.

I'm 5 days in and feeling really good! I've found that I'm quite happy having a soda water or (non alcoholic) ginger ale in the evening. I do occasionally wish I could have a smoke, but generally not missing that much either. :happy:

It was my own mental block that was causing me to not be able to stop myself from doing these things. But as soon as someone else challenged me to do it - it was easy, and I've started to enjoy it!

Anyway - just a thought that this might help someone else who needs that extra boost to give up a bad habit. Or, for those who know someone like me and want to give them a helping hand! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    nice post and well done for taking up the challenge . Hopefully because you are seeing and feeling the benefits you will continue to cut out alcohol and cigarettes or at least cut down to just the weekends maybe.

Goodluck! x