Protein Shots...

Options
So my sister started working out with a personal trainer this week and he sent her out for protein. She is a no nonense type of person and don't like to deal with mixing, shaking and blending so she bought protein shots. Since she has said how much more energy during workouts she has when she use them. So - off I go to get me some. Now Im confused. Just by reading others post - I know I need the protein before and after I workout. (I have been drinking chocolate milk and sometimes I use 4 strawberries and 5 almonds and blend it... I got that from ghanga) Anyway..... is the protein important before strength training or all work outs. I am going hiking in the morning and am confused as to whether I use the protein before cardio. (Even though hiking is a great strengh training for the legs)

Thanks for your help..... I love you guys' input!

Replies

• Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    I usually take a WHEY protein (which has a 1 hour process) AFTER a workout, and a CASSEIN protein (or mix of Whey/Cassein) any other time during the day (about 8 hour process).

I don't take much of anything immediately before a workout because I don't like having anything substantial in my stomach especially during cardio.

Really you can take protein anytime of day, but WHEY is much more useful immediately after workout.

Good luck.

BTW: There are several other proteins out there that I don't use so I can't give you much help on those. Whey and Cassein come from milk. There are egg proteins and Soy proteins among others.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I drink protein after my workout, not before.
  • abigail100
    abigail100 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink the Atkin protein shake within 1 hour after my workouts, not before and it has been helping me ever since I started including weight training into my exercise routine.