unrealistic goal weight?

Options
I recently posted about my weight loss slowing down dramatically after I lost the first 15 lbs, and I got a lot of good advice so I'm asking for help again. Although I have been thin in the past, I was also much younger and it has been years since I have been in the 140's, and not in the 130's since high school. I'm wondering If maybe the reason I find it so hard to reach my goal weight of 140lbs is that maybe at 31 years old, and 5'10" this is simply not a realistic weight? Without going to extreme calorie reduction, and extreme calorie burning maybe I just can't reach that mark in a healthy way. I weighed in at 149.6 most recently and it was such a struggle to get there, I'm wondering if I should just try to maintain or am I just making excuses to give up?

Replies

• ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and when I was 140lbs I looked like an "average" person; not chubby in the slightest but not skinnyskinny either. If you're 5'10 it sounds to me like 140 might be a little too skinny, and 130 most DEFINTELY is because even I looked emaciated at 130!! Perhaps you just need to tone a little and not actually lose any weight?
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and when I was 140lbs I looked like an "average" person; not chubby in the slightest but not skinnyskinny either. If you're 5'10 it sounds to me like 140 might be a little too skinny, and 130 most DEFINTELY is because even I looked emaciated at 130!! Perhaps you just need to tone a little and not actually lose any weight?

I agree. I think 140 for someone who's 5'10" is a good healthy weight.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I've lost an additional 6 pounds after I switched to a maintenance calorie level... but that was over a period of about 9 months.

Instead of dropping your calories, you may want to consider increasing them to a maintenance or near-maintenance level, and put energy into your fitness routine. If your body doesn't want to lose any more weight, so be it -- you'll be eating well and getting stronger. But you may well find that additional pounds continue to come off.

Tracking your progress by body fat percentage rather than weight is also a really good idea for those of us who are at or near goal.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and my first goal weight is 150 (evaluating possibly going into the 140s if it is a realistic sustainable goal once I'm at 150 for a while). That being said, I have an athletic muscular build and carry weight pretty well. So depending on your build, 130s might look thin and fit or very very skinny. I would say go by how you look and feel. Also, make sure that you don't have to starve yourself to get to a specific number because how long could you really maintain that?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You may be onto something. My experience is similar. I'm 5'6-1/2" and I thought 128 was my best weight for years. Why that number I don't know, but it was like magic for me.

I've gotten to my goal 4 times in my life, but I could never maintain it. I'm a bigger eater than that.

This time my goal is rather vague. This time I want to stop overeating and see what weight I settle at. I finally realize how ridiculous it is to set a goal so low that I can't maintain it. Plus I highly doubt I could even reach it at this stage in my life (nearly 60 and overweight to slightly obese for at least the past 2 decades).
  • joydoncheski
    joydoncheski Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks...does anyone know where I can find a good calculator for body fat? I know bmi is horribly inaccurate, is there a way using measurements like bust, waist, hips etc that I can calculate this? I'm more concerned about getting rid of excess fat around my stomach, hips, and thighs then being a certain size. I know excess fat, even if you're in a healthy weight range is bad. I guess I'm "skinny fat"
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Thanks...does anyone know where I can find a good calculator for body fat? I know bmi is horribly inaccurate, is there a way using measurements like bust, waist, hips etc that I can calculate this? I'm more concerned about getting rid of excess fat around my stomach, hips, and thighs then being a certain size. I know excess fat, even if you're in a healthy weight range is bad. I guess I'm "skinny fat"

Check out the info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    My goal is 130 and I am 5ft2inch tall. At my biggest ever I weighed 145 and, while chubby, I wasn't enormous by any means. I would think that you should probably gain a little, or at least start the maintenance phase right away. You would look WAY too skinny in the 130s at 5ft10.

=)
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that 140 on an athletic person can look totally different than 140 on a coach potato. I agree with bringing your calories to maintenance for a while and continue your workouts hard and heavy for a while. It's always good to take a diet break. Your body may say, wow I'm getting fed and actually drop a few. I look my best at 135#'s, 5'4" and a size 4. It's all relative.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Fat2Fit has some good body fat calculators based on measurements: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

If you want to get serious about tracking your BF%, you can get calipers -- I picked up a set for under $10 on Amazon.

Make sure to keep a record of your measurements and BF%! MFP allows you to add as many different measurements to your tracking as you like - it's under "My Home" and "Check-In"
  • Heidi252
    Heidi252 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Hi,
    I have an Omron bmi/body fat device I got on Amazon. It is one you hold out in front of you. Mine works great and I would say is pretty accurate in my mind. It's a nice tool in addition to taking your measurements and weighing...
  • joydoncheski
    Options
    I am going to purchase body fat calipers. Opinions on digital verses standard? Are the digital accurate? the one I'm looking at is Warrior Digital caliper.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    forget about the scale and work on reducing bodyfat if you arent happy with your figure!
  • joydoncheski
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/change_big_picture/8592560

This was me at about 142 a few years ago. This is what Im aiming for.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/change_big_picture/8592560

This was me at about 142 a few years ago. This is what Im aiming for.

I don't intend to sound mean or anything so don't take this wrong, but you look almost emaciated in that picture. If your profile picture is what you look like now, I'd stick with that, you look awesome...nice tattoos BTW.
  • joydoncheski
    Options
    Yea, my profile pic was taken a few days ago so its pretty current. Dont worry, I don't think it was mean. I always value honesty, and thank you for being so. I guess my arms are kinda scrawny.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think it might be a bit unrealistic. I'll chime in agreement on looking into body fat percentages and work on perhaps shifting your body composition. Also, even if you ultimately decide to go back to calorie restriction to lose more fat/weight, it could only benefit you to go on maintenance levels for a while to let everything stabilize out.