Weight down, discouragment up?

Options
So I weighed in today and I've lost 5 pounds since I started this journey, about 3 weeks ago. Should I be excited or discouraged? Sine my starting weight was so high and my habits have really changed and I've been excercising, I really thought it would be more like 7-10 pounds. Help!

Replies

• TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    5 pounds is awesome! Be happy and keep going!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    5lbs is AMAZING! Congratulations :drinker: Good steady progress is what is important, keep the trend going downwards and you'll be fine.
  • BeautifulBrownButterfly
    Options
    5 pounds is not a little bit that took hard work i'm sure..You should be proud!!
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    5 pounds is a great start! Always remember that these things take time, it's not going to happen overnight. 5 pounds in 3 weeks is a healthy amount of weight lost. Keep up the good work!
  • TMcSter
    TMcSter Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    5 pounds is great. Keep up the great work, one pound at a time. If you lose just one pound a week at the end of a year that's 52 and wouldn't that be great.
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your decision to change your life! And double congrats on 5 lbs in 3 weeks. That is a great loss. These next few months, you are going to see an amazing transformation in yourself. The weight loss will be like a fun bonus to the brand new you. You'll notice you feel better, can do more things, and you'll be happier with yourself. Don't obsess over the numbers. Enjoy the journey, and just keep doing what you're doing. 1-2 lbs a week is a sustainable loss rate, so be proud and keep it up!
  • zombiekookie
    zombiekookie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, you might be getting muscles, if you are strength training. That will slow your weight number loss. So, be sure to measure your waist, arms, etc.
  • HoosierBecky
    HoosierBecky Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been here about the same amount of time and weighed in this morning and gained a pound. I would take you five pounds any day. :happy:

While I'm not happy with today's results I took my measurements (which I hadn't before) and maybe I'll see some changes there.

I figure I have two choices: quit and go back to bad habits and probably keep gaining or keep working at it and see success down the road.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I agree...keep going. Also, Zombie is correct.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race! I lost an average of 3lbs per month. There were weeks and weeks when I didn't lose anything (and sometimes gained) and it was really frustratingy. I knew I was getting SOME kind of benefit from healthy right and exercising so I kept on trucking. Hang in there! You're doing great!
  • geturgoat
    geturgoat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That is a really nice loss. Your weight did not stay the same and it did not go up, I call that a win...
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    Do a Google Image search of 5 pounds of fat and then tell me if you're still discouraged or not! That is great progress!
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Do you know how much fat 5 lbs is? Google it my dear. Any loss is better than none. I agree with the previous statement--gaining muscle will not show the scale dropping but you will see it in other areas.

The scale dropped for me and it took me till 20 lbs down to actually see a difference. You are doing the right things, your body will thank you.

Keep up all that hard work. Now drink some water!!!!

Rachael
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Be happy. Keep going. If the weight flew off too fast it could be a sign of unhealthy dieting. This is all about sustainable life change. And that which comes off super fast, often comes back on just as fast. Don't go for the yo-yo, go for the slide!
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Most important question to ask is how much are you eating. honestly, not to catch you out just honesty so i can give correct advice and my opinion
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I realized is that no matter how slow the weight comes off, it's a step in the right direction.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it; the time will pass anyway." --earl nightingale
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Keep it up HoosierBecky! You have a great attitude!!
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    5 lbs is AWESOME. That seriously is great. Better to be down 5 lbs then 1lbs, Even then better down 1 lbs then 0, better 0 then gains. Keep going often we need to lay a foundation to really get things going!

Also don't forget to periodically re-do your goals, what helps you lose0.5 -1 lbs a week will end up being maintanence Calories when you have lost some, so your daily allotment will eventually shrink a bit too. (Wow that is a bit scary to think about sometimes)

Keep smiling! Good job! Keep working at it!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    That's more than a pound a week!

You didn't get where you are by gaining 7-10 pounds every 3 weeks, so that's not likely to happen on the way down, either. Steady and consistent ultimately wins the race.

YOu're making lifestyle changes that you're going to have to do forever in order to maintain (though you won't/can't say in caloric deficit forever, obviously). Weight lost is obvious progress and a sign you're doing the right thing!

In my life, I've seen lots of people get gung-ho about a diet, about exercise -- and then when it didn't show immediate, remarkable, results they declared it "not working" and gave up. The changes you're making will result in you being healthier even if you don't lose any weight at all, and the lost 5 pounds are a bonus above and beyond that!!
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! The encouragement really does help so so so much! I'm going to google that 5 pounds of fat as suggested!

I have been eating pretty healthy. I had a lot of bad habits that I'm breaking, and so far I'm pretty proud of how many of those habits I've changed.

I actually WANT to exercise and walk now :noway: