Epileptic drugs and weight gain

Options
I have been on some kind of anti-epileptic drugs since I was 21. At that time I was about 15lbs over weight. Once I got on the anti-epileptic drugs (Carbamezapine) I gained a ton of weight. I never ever weighed that much. It felt like it took no time to gain the weight. Fast forward, I was changed to Topamax which made me so sick I could eat. I ended up losing 50lbs the wrong way. My stomach was such a mess I just plain could not eat at all. The we come to now, where I am on Lamictal. It is a debate for many if this drug makes you gain wait and a difficult time losing it.

I would like to know if anyone out there is having the same issues?

Replies

• evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am on one of the newest epilepsy drugs, it has only just come out of it's patent, it is called Keppra.
    It is one of the safest epilepsy drugs, and has the least amount of side effects, one of the biggest advantages it is that it is still safe to use whilst being pregnant.

I have been on this drug for around 8 years and during that time I did put on weight, but I cannot say if it was because of the drug. What I can say is that over the past 18 months I have lost 52lbs, and the medication has been no hinderance to my weight loss.

Hope this can be of some help

x
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I have been on Lamictal for psychiatric reasons for going on 4 years now. I, personally, have found it to be one of the most weight-neutral drugs I've ever been on. I was able to keep my weight down with no effort for years (added a new one and then BAM, crazy weight gain.)

I will say this: Dosage does seem to make a difference. I started out building up to 150. I'm on 400 mgs nightly now. It hasn't increased my hunger levels any, but I have had to push myself just a liiiiittttllleeee harder at the exercise. It's minimal, though, and for the price of sanity, worth it. I hope you have the same experience.
  • mish3131
    mish3131 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I did lose close to 50lbs back in 2009 while on Lamictal, but it does seem more difficult. Some people will think I am making excuses. I am just trying to figure out if it is the meds, then I need understand that it may be harder for me.

Thanks everyone!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Very few drugs make you gain weight. They may make you more hungry, sleepy, hyper, etc but they don't shove food in your mouth and make you fat. I was on Epival for a while and gained weight but it was because it made me so tired that I could barely function so I ate too much and did too little.
  • ecahill91
    Options
    I used to be on Lamictal, but for only a short time (not long enough to notice any weight changes).

I am now on Keppra, and I LOVE it! No weight changes (even being on a really high dosage), and my neurologist says it's one of the best epileptic drugs on the market for women (one of the safest epilepsy drugs if chosen to stay on while pregnant). It's really great :)

I hope that was of some help!

Feel free to message to discuss :)
  • mish3131
    mish3131 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Very few drugs make you gain weight. They may make you more hungry, sleepy, hyper, etc but they don't shove food in your mouth and make you fat. I was on Epival for a while and gained weight but it was because it made me so tired that I could barely function so I ate too much and did too little.

Wow...not such a nice tone in your reply. No they don't shove food in your mouth, but the feeling of hunger can be overwhelming.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I had the best results with Lyrica for pain and seizures. No change in appetite, if anything very slight decrease and pretty much no side effects aside from a slight euphoric sleepiness, slightly impaired coordination, and a great increase in feelings of well being.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Some drugs actively slow down your metabolism. (I'm thinking Lithium and Depakote, for instance.) So while they don't shove food in your mouth, it makes weight gain even with a normal amount of food a very real possibility.
  • Rmazula
    Rmazula Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @quirktizzy - exactly. It lowers your metabolism, so that is what goes on, whether you eat more or eat normal. I am getting on keppra and coming off depakote b/c of pregnancy reasons. Yay! Praying it helps my metabolism. I am starting with 500 mg/twice a day and will eventually go up likely once it is deemed safe that I can come off my depakote.

All - If you are on keppra, how much a day?