Is this site more accurate than my machine?

Options
My elliptical says I burn roughly 300 calories after 30 minutes. On here it says a lot more. Wouldn't my machine be more accurate since it can tell how fast I'm going, my incline and my resistance?

Replies

• JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    you can change it to what your machine says...this just gives a rough guesstimate
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Assuming that your machine also knows your weight, I'd say it's probably more accurate.

MFP's elliptical numbers were way off for me when compared to my HRM.
  • JForbrizzio
    Options
    Does your machine figure in weight? If not this site might be more accurate. A heavier person burns more calories than a smaller person doing the same exercise. You owners manual may have a formula or table to tell you how much you're really burning.

My bike says I only burn 300 calories every hour no matter who uses it. But any calorie calculator tells me I burn double that because I weigh more.
  • snowyowl74
    Options
    I really think that a heart rate monitor is the most accurate way to know how many calories you've burned. It takes into account your weight and how high your heart rate is to determine number of calories burned. It's a great investment if you want to know calories burned no matter what type of exercise you're doing.
    I adjust the minutes on this website until it reflects the same amount of calories as my HRM.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Both are just estimates. Both could be inaccurate. That's why I bought a HRM! It also can be inaccurate, but it's much closer, especially if it takes your VO2Max into effect and you know it.
  • karen366
    karen366 Posts: 141
    Options
    I found the machine a little more accurate than this site..but after having a hrm..both have exaggerated my calories burned by about 10-20%