Exercising and the heat

Options
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what recommendations people have for dealing with heat while working out. I was really diligent about my exercising for a month, but for the last week the air conditioning hasn't been working and it's been in the 90s. I haven't been able to do any cardio. Does anyone have recommendations for how to burn calories without overheating in these conditions? I've been pretty good about my calorie intake, but it's not just about weight loss, you know?

So, exercising in heat: recommendations!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 in the morning and bring extra water on my runs and bike rides.
  • GuamMom
    GuamMom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I live in Guam it is very hot here and humid. Try working out in th am before sunrise or after sunset, then take a nice long cold shower you will feel great and lose to!!!!
  • tcam70455
    tcam70455 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I walk around 6 in the morning or 8 at night. I still sweat plenty, but not as bad as later. If you do exercise, make sure you drink more water than ever. It really is about more than just weight loss. Maybe you can go swimming or find a mall or public walking area that is indoors.
  • tlamhain
    tlamhain Posts: 15
    Options
    I have been waiting until later in the evening to go for a run. If it is too hot I will just go slower. I also went running yesterday then went to the lake for a swim!
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I live in FLA, and the heat kills me. I try to do my jogging and bike rides in the morning (I work from home, so I have the ability to do this). I also have an elliptical at home to use when it's too hot or raining, and also have a couple workout videos. So I really have no excuse, regardless of the weather. I GREATLY prefer to workout out of doors, but it isn't always possible. Stay hydrated and be careful. Heat exhaustion is no fun.
  • awesome_orchid
    Options
    274650.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    I live in Tx and it is hot here too. During June I wasgetting up at five or six AM and doing a thirty minute walk but I got bored and started doing Wii music and bowling. Wii is way more fun! I have central A/C. Today we hit ninety five and I am not gonna walk at all but intead do the games.
  • AZDee
    AZDee Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's been so hot lately, hard to workout in this 115 degree heat. I swim everyday, but this week I have had to wait until the sun goes down to even do that. I live in Phoenix, so people here learn how and where to move when it gets too hot to do anything. Early in the Morning before the stores open, you will see the people power walking around the Malls with the nice air conditioning, When I first saw that I thought they were so in-genus to think of that. Thank Goodness the Gyms have air conditioning. I say exercise after the sun goes down....
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Um... suck it up? No, JUST KIDDING!! I need help with that too because when it's too hot, I really don't want to do anything. The mornings are cool and bright so that might be a good option (as stated above). You could also do strength training on those days so at least you can still breathe. Let's see... go swimming or get wet and exercise outside.
    Good luck. Can't wait to see other suggestions.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Can you do Water Aerobics somewhere (gym, the Y)? In the water, you won't feel the heat!
  • GrammaPower
    GrammaPower Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who simply get up before the REALLY hot heat hits! I live in the high desert in Idaho & MAN - it gets HOT here (but NOT humid) and we just have to "get r done" before 9 am or after 8pm. But I don't always get that lucky, so I take EXTRA water, ice cubes & wear lots of sunscreen. Actually as long as you don't have contradictions health wise, the heat gets your heart rate up faster, you have to back off & stay in your appropriate work out zone - but it can be done. H2o, H20 H20! : )
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone else. Get up early in the mornings (like out the door by 6 at the latest!). I know it is tough (and I haven't managed to do it as much as I should), but if your weather is like ours it is still hot for several hours *after* sunset. I did a lot of walking in June right before sunset as well, but the days I managed to get out in the early mornings I could tell a much bigger difference.

I also have some exercise DVDs and I've been doing a lot of Wii Fit! :) I need to get outdoors more though.
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hope your a morning person, because that looks like the best option. I do workout early in the mornings 5am. It will give you energy for the rest of the day if you do it on a routine basis. You will feel tired at first, but soon will see results that will motivate you not to push the snooze alarm :smile:
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I'm definitely trying to find a pool somewhere to start swimming (although not too much because I have really bad ears for it), but it seems like I'm just going to have to suck it up and wake up early based on suggestions. Oh well! I can do it, it's definitely for the best.

Thanks for all of the help!