Newtons

Options
I am wondering if anyone here has used Newton running shoes and whether or not they liked them!

A bit of backstory - I ran high school & college track, & a marathon about two years back. While I'd always have little stress fractures and some soreness, I never suffered any serious running problems. After taking a year or two off from running, I feel like my form sucks and can feel myself overpronating and hitting my heels. Even though I'm running very short distances, the result has been very sore achilles.

So upon recommendation, I bought a pair of Newtons. Curious to see anyone has had any experiences, & specifically whether they were comfortable to run in/helped correct form/took pressure off the achilles.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I got my first pair of Newtons just over a year ago when I started training for my first half-marathon, and I still love them! It takes a little extra time to get used to them in the beginning though. It definitely helps to slow down your pace a little bit and focus on getting your foot strike in the right position. The Newton website used to have some good videos about modifying your stride length and foot position; don't know if they're still up since it's been a while since I viewed them. I've never had achilles issues, so I don't know if these shoes will help you with that, but modifying your stride like the videos demonstrate may help a little.

The only con to my Newtons - the lugs inside the sole of the shoe didn't seem to last as long as they should have. The shoes are still comfortable to run in but now there's a slightly annoying click with every step...of course maybe that just means it's time for a new pair! :happy: After a year with my Newtons, I don't think I'll ever go back to a standard running shoe.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks JC!! They're expensive but worth it if they get you good results!
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I hated them and returned them.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Was hoping this was going to be a about fruit and cake.
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I thought this post was someone complaining that the weight units on MFP are not in Newtons :)
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    Was hoping this was going to be a about fruit and cake.

Totally thought this was about fig
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I recently got fitted for a pair of Newton Gravity and I love them. I have a very good midfoot strike already - my tread was completely worn from the midfoot on my last pair of shoes (Brooks Ghost) so the shoes haven't changed my form. But, they feel pretty natural and extremely comfortable to run in. I know that shoes don't make you "run faster and jump higher" but it does feel like the lugs on the bottom are giving me an extra "push" when I strike.

I alternate between the Gravitys and a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders, usually rotating each pair every time I run.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    They're definitely weird to get used to!

I stopped running a year and a halfish ago because it was a constant battle with shin splints. I had been fitted for some great shoes at a running specialty store, I had a friend with me correcting/helping with my form, I stretched after every run... and still, shin splints! Life got busy and I gave up running.

Fast forward to present time! I've been really into doing Insanity BUT I injured my shoulder and had to stop. I got back into running again, which involved getting a new pair of kicks. My old running buddy had since switched to zero-drop minimalist shoes and loved them, so I hit up the running specialty store and tried about a million different pairs on at the recommendation of the employees, emphasizing that I was interested in a more minimalist shoe.

The Newtons were funky! The zero drop wasn't hard to get used to, and they provided more support/cushion than say... Vibrams. A few laps around the store and it was clear to me that these were the shoes for me! They force me to land more in the middle of my foot (rather than the heel), and felt amazing. I ended up walking away with a pair of MV2's. I sure wish they weren't neon yellow/orange/red, but they've cured my shin splints entirely. No running pain for me! Highly recommend them.
  • sean0315
    sean0315 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

So upon recommendation, I bought a pair of Newtons.

Whoever recommended them must have been pretty smart ;)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My general thoughts on Newtons specifically and any shoe that claims to change your gait, generally, is that they are gimmicks.

Instead of spending nearly $200 on a shoe, I think you're better off getting fitted for a regular running shoe and then spending time doing things like counting your steps and performing form drills. These two things will go a lot further toward improving your form than any pair of shoes ever will.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've got a pair that I like a lot for shorter runs, but don't fit well enough and don't offer enough support for longer runs. I wore them when I was trying to change my stride, and they were great for that, but I no longer wear them. I like my Ecco Bioms (same premise as newtons) much better.

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I wore Newtons exclusively when I was just starting out. They were great for that purpose, but once I got comfortable with running longer distances I switched to more minimal shoes and haven't looked back.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My general thoughts on Newtons specifically and any shoe that claims to change your gait, generally, is that they are gimmicks.

Instead of spending nearly $200 on a shoe, I think you're better off getting fitted for a regular running shoe and then spending time doing things like counting your steps and performing form drills. These two things will go a lot further toward improving your form than any pair of shoes ever will.

This.