Do you weigh yourself every day or once a week?

Options

Replies

• Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Everyday, sometimes 2-4 times a day. But official weigh-in's are every Sunday morning for me.

It used to bother me at first, but now it doesn't. I know weight varies and it helps me keep track. I think my biggest thing is though I have only lost 7 lbs on the scale, my body says else-wise.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    i don't know how weighing everyday keeps anyone on track. i heard someone else say they do that too. it's not an accurate reading as far as goal setting so "how" exactly does it keep anyone on track? I weigh once a week, if that. I go by the way clothes fit and how I look and feel. It keep frustration low. Besides, if you build any muscle, you will GAIN weight sometimes. I see people feeling all low because they are gaining weight and losing fat and don't even realize it's a good thing.

I weigh myself mostly every day, and it DOES keep me on track. I can see how some people may find it frustrating, but I find it interesting to see how my body weight fluctuates based on what I ate and did they previous day, and how where I'm at in my cycle effects my weight. I've actually learned to avoid certain foods because of weighing daily - ie when I eat any dairy except greek yogurt, I gain weight the next day - without fail - so I try to avoid eating dairy as best I can. I only "count" a gain or loss if it is maintained for at least 3 days - if after 3 days, my gain hasn't reversed itself, I know I need to either tighten up my eating or be more consistent with my workouts...if after 3 days, my loss hasn't reversed itself, I know whatever I'm doing is working and to keep doing that.

That said, I don't put everything into what the scale says (but where I'm at right now, the scale DOES need to be moving) - I also take measurements and pics once a month, and I do go by how my clothes fit.
  • holleyinky
    Options
    I used to adhere to the once a week schedule---it's better in some ways. Lately, though, I've been weighing myself every day at the same time and writing it down. it's been really interesting watching the *normal* fluctuation trend. It has put some things into perspective for me. The weight will go up and down by as much as 2 lbs but if you look at it in 7 day increments it does go down on average. When I weighed myself weekly, I took it much harder if my weight wasn't where I expected it to be. I bet, though, if I weighed the very next day I would have been pleasantly surprised.
  • JerseyGirl081
    JerseyGirl081 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Once a month for me.
  • TimeforPimms
    TimeforPimms Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Used to weigh myself daily, but it was leading to an awful pattern where if I'd gained any from the day before, I'd want to restrict my eating too much. Then inevitably I'd snap a few days in to my more restricted diet, and binge.

Weighing once a week works much better for me. It makes me think in broader terms so I don't get so bogged down in the hour-by-hour water fluctuations. I'm also one of those people inclined to say "screw it, I'll just write today off" if I go off track, whereas when I think in weekly terms I can wrangle myself back in to salvage a cheat day.
  • kellyanne7485
    Options
    Daily, just to make sure that I'm on track. Fluctuations are normal and I don't stress it. Mondays are my official weekly weigh-ins, because it forces me to stay on track over the weekends! :smile:
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am terrible...I weigh myself in the morning and at night to see the fluctuations and see what makes the scale go crazy. I like to know that I am on the right track...I only weigh in on Saturday mornings at 10 though. :)
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    i bounce back & forth...i'll go days weighing myself everyday & then sometimes i'll just back off for a few days & not worry about it....i always weigh on friday morning tho :)
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Once a month.
  • elynnobe
    elynnobe Posts: 1
    Options
    I also weigh myself every morning when I wake up. I know many suggest once-a-week weigh-ins, but like many of you, I find it really keeps me on track. If I weigh the same consistently over 2-3 days, I log it. I feel like frequent weigh-ins help me stay motivated because I can see what eating unhealthy will do to me, and likewise for healthy eating.
  • Mrsjenningsjr
    Mrsjenningsjr Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Every 5 days
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I weigh every few days and log any loss here.
  • Missmarie1125
    Options
    Weighing yourself daily is kind of a lost cause. As women especially our weight fluctuates rapidly. I would recommend weighing yourself either every two weeks or once a month. A great way to see if your losing weight is to take some "before" pictures and TAKE MEASUREMENTS. You'll be amazing at what measuring can tell you compared to the scale. Good luck!:happy:
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. It helps me to learn the rhythms of my body and the normal fluctuations in my weight. It doesn't make me freak out or crash diet. It makes me *aware*, and that's what's important. After having weighed myself nearly everyday for months, I can tell you what is a normal fluctuation, and what is the result of bad choices. I nip "scale creep" in the bud as soon as I start seeing it happen.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing once a week, but after reading through all the comments I have decided to weigh every day.
  • juliehinterthuer
    Options
    I weigh every morning before breakfast. Even if I've lost .2 pounds, it's progress and keeps me motivated and reassures me that all my work is paying off. I need daily motivation like that in terms of numbers (even though some days the scale doesn't change) without having to wait a week. Some days, it's OK if the scale hasn't gone down as it may be that I need reassurance that the scale hasn't gone up if I had an iffy day the day before. It works both ways.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Once a week is optimal... Any more is just being too self conscious...it'll get to you!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh daily. Drove me nuts. Now my official weigh in is Friday. I will weigh in on Wednesday, see where I am. Gives me an idea of where I will be Friday once I've done a few low sodium days. I can usually knock 2lbs off that. I rarely obsess about it. I know if I've had a lot of salt, I know if monthly problems are likely to be a problem, I know if my muscles are sore and I also know if I've had too much carbs. Over time you get to know your body and it freaks you out less. I still refuse to do daily weigh ins because sodium effects me so much. I have to do 2 really low sodium days before my official weigh in.

Zara.
  • erwinol
    erwinol Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Everyday for almost a year now. First thing in the morning.
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I realize that the scale is probably only accurate once a week but weighing in daily keeps me on track. I purchased a wi-fi fitbit ONE and the Aria wi-fi scale which syncs with my iPhone fitbit app and My Fitness Pal account. This means that every time I weigh myself, it syncs to both accounts & shows all of my friends if I have lost or gained weight. I'm thinking about only weighing myself once a week now because I realize everyone will see my daily weigh-ins which are not accurate. Yeah, I guess I do care what everyone sees & I do appreciate their support in my weight loss. Do you weigh every day or once a week?
    First thought is that if it's only accurate once a week then that's the day to weigh on. Seriously, though, and guessing someone has already said this but going ahead and saying it anyway; I weigh on my Aria every day. I have turned off the reporting of losses to my MFP diary, so ony I see the fluctuations. I also sync with www.trendweight.com, which gives a meaningful picture (that only I see).