Squats - not feeling the burn

Options
I decided to start a challenge (I just made it up) I also do the 30 day shred but I'm not really doing it the right way. I did like 5 days of level 1 but it was really hurting my knees and it didn't really feel that challenging so I did 1 day of level 2 and then let my knees rest for 2 or 3 days and then that video and all the other level 2 videos got deleted from youtube :( so I had to jump straight in to level 3 which I have been doing for 3 or 4 days. It involves some squatting with weight and I definitely feel it in my thighs but nothing in my butt. I have started this challenge to shrink my thighs and butt (according to livestrong.com thats what un-weighted squats will do) I am only a few pounds over weight (3 pounds) but I don't have much muscle and I carry all my weight in the top of my thighs and butt and a little in my lower stomach. My challenge started with 30 squats 30 pile squats 30 crunches 30 reverse crunches 30 second plank and 30 dips and it increases by ten everyday all the way up to 300. I am on day 3 (50 of everything) but I haven't completed today yet. My thighs are a bit sore but still nothing in my butt. I am sure my form is correct because I watch myself sideways in the mirror to make sure I am doing it right. However I have my feet quite wide apart, a little more than shoulder width, if I bring them in closer together will that work my butt more? Is it possible that its working my butt just as good as my thighs even though I don't any burn? I've always heard "if its not burning its not working" is that completely true?

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Unweighted squats aren't much more exercise than just walking after you've done them a couple weeks. Perhaps switch to split squats, then finally pistols.

but pain is not an indicator of progress. so.
  • skinny_bre
    skinny_bre Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My challenge is like 33 days or something like that and I was planning on seeing what I look like and then either switching to weighted squats or finding a new exercise all together.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Try rocket jumps which is like you squat, then jump up, then land softly and go right back into the squat and repeat, like as a fluid motion.
  • ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I feel it in my thighs and knees when I do resistance squats/weighted squats, but never anything in my butt region. I get more of a burn there on the Stairmaster. What is up with that?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Try rocket jumps which is like you squat, then jump up, then land softly and go right back into the squat and repeat, like as a fluid motion.

This is a great idea, but maybe your feet are too wide. Try at shoulder width and see if you feel it more.
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Do power squats! Love them, and they get me feeling the burn