Planning for high-cals/junk food eating success stories

Options
NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
One of my beloved, sweet and beautiful family members just let me know that they are sending me/us a gift--and that I should be on the look-out for late this week or early next week. Great news, right? Ummmmmmm, well yes, kinda sorta and at the same time not necessarily--but I'm going to turn it into GREAT news. After pushing and prodding her to please tell me what it is she's sending (knowing that she being slim and trim and has sent me super yummy food goodies in the past), I finally got her tell me that it's a super yummy and it's huge can of gourmet popcorn.

Now this popcorn (gooey fattening super addicting cheddar cheese and caramel corn), this stuff is so utterly delicious, it ought to be against the law. Rather than not eating any...I'm going to pre-plan NOW for this yummy "surprise" to arrive and to eat some. Here's what I'm going to do for the next few days:

I'm NOT going to freak out...I'm going to take total control of my mind and body! I'm going to do a wee bit of extra exercises daily (extra small things 15-20 minutes or so extra outside walking and/or treadmill/stationary bike/8 minute Taebo/Leslie Sansone/Power 90 dvds and will not count the cals...I'm going to eat a bit lighter than usual, again preparing my mind, body and soul to be able to enjoy this super nice junky treat. I'm just so grateful she called to let me know to be on the lookout for it. All this to say, PLEASE share your success stories on when you've known that an event or fattening food gift/eating out was coming and rather than pigging out/binging and over-indulging and thus potentially ruining some or all of your hardwork up until that point and to just plain be more in control of your snacking/eating super high or fattening foods.

Sometimes life comes up or we don't know when the "opportunity" to pig-out will arrive, but in some wonderful/advantageous cases (like this one) we will know ahead of time.

How have you successfully handled these special times or days--or do you? If not....why not? Please share!

Replies

• Heypapajinx
    Heypapajinx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well, I know that for me, my issue was always indulging these types of things. Every. Single. Day. I always thought, "I'll just start watching what I eat later" believing that later wouldn't make that much of a difference. I guess at that time, I just wasn't ready for a change. But now that I try and watch what I eat every single day, I don't feel like it's such a crime to indulge in something every now and again. We're human, and our bodies crave these sorts of "treats" - whether it's the risk vs. reward or simply because they're delicious. So what I've come to employ is what you referred to as a "pre-plan". Usually, the day that I know that I'm going to indulge in something that I wouldn't allow in my daily diet routine, I log that item first. This usually gives me a base to work with. Then, knowing this in advance, I can plan around said item. I also make it a point to eat things that are high in fiber and drink lots of water throughout the day, because let's face it, most of the items that are "treats" are usually processed foods and have tons of sodium - which can lead (for me) to water retention and a sense of bloating; which is ALWAYS a discouraging feeling. Then, when I chose my meals for the rest of the day, I refer back to my inital point of caloric intake. I also prepare myself that the next day, if I do decide to step on the scale, that I was prepared for whatever I see because I know that processed foods can cause water retetnion and a host of other discouraging effects. I also make sure that I prepare for the day after. What I eat. How much water I drink. Etc. I have employed this over the past 10 months, and still have found that I lose weight. I know that there are those who say they never allow a "cheat day", but I know myself, and I know that the hardest thing to do is overcome a cheat day with healthy eating habits throughout that day as well as the day after. It's a slippery slope, but that's how I deal with indulging and remaining realistic about my body's journey and my minds processing of the same. That's all I can offer. I guess we're all on our own path, and no two will ever be idential, but I would say that it's important to never let anyone tell you you're flat out wrong for something you decide to do. I've found negativity can be more discouraging than the scale.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Pre-planning is the key. The first thing I do every day is enter my "treat" that I eat at night--usually 2 squares of dark chocolate at 110 cals. Then everything else must fit into that new limit. On Pizza night--I add 2 slices of pizza and 1 glass of wine to my din. before I start eating breakfast so I know what I have to do all day (food and exercise wise) to account for it. I can't live my life constantly in denial. I want my eating plan to last for the rest of my life--so I just factor it in.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    Pre-planning is the key. The first thing I do every day is enter my "treat" that I eat at night--usually 2 squares of dark chocolate at 110 cals. Then everything else must fit into that new limit. On Pizza night--I add 2 slices of pizza and 1 glass of wine to my din. before I start eating breakfast so I know what I have to do all day (food and exercise wise) to account for it. I can't live my life constantly in denial. I want my eating plan to last for the rest of my life--so I just factor it in.

Awesome idea! I do enter some of my stuff before I eat it, but this is brilliant.

I generally eat quite a bit under my calorie count, so when I overindulge a bit, it's not a big deal. I ate a lot yesterday, but I was under my calorie count.

When I was pregnant with my first child in 1977, I wanted chocolate chip cookies, so I ate 100 under every day for 30 days. Then I made the cookies and ate one every day for about a week. To this day, that's pretty much what I do, stay under then have the treat AND still stay in my calorie zone.
  • FunnyGirl613
    FunnyGirl613 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What I've discovered is that my tastebuds have changed. Yes I might want it, and I will plan for it, enter it early in the day so I have to eat around it, but I also have come to a point where when I actually have these "no no foods" that I make sure to stop and check in with myself to see how I'm feeling before, during, and after eating it.

Often the food doesn't live up to the hype or the way I feel afterwards is not worth it.

If I know I'm going to have a lot of a treat, I mentally prepare that I will break it down into smaller portions as soon as it arrives.

I.E. I come to a party with a table filled with cookies, cakes, and pastries. I can tell myself before hand that I can do ____________. What ever works for you. For me, I tell myself I can have as much fruit and veggies as I want, and that I will have ONE cookie or piece of cake or etc.

If you're getting a giant tub of popcorn, I would buy a box of snack size ziploc bags, measure yourself out a portion to eat immediately, and while you're munching, make yourself busy with measuring out the rest into individual servings.

If you don't trust yourself to not binge, take your single serving and then give the rest away! Coworkers, church, retirement homes, etc.

Also you can psych yourself up for mindful eating. i.e. put some food into your mouth and then put your hands in your lap until you are done chewing and swallowing completely. Don't pick up more food until your mouth is empty.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

:heart: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :heart: LOVE this! Thank you so much for posting, I'll definitely do that. I usually do pre-log my foods, but hadn't ever thought of logging the "junk" first and build around it, again LOVE that!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    What I've discovered is that my tastebuds have changed. Yes I might want it, and I will plan for it, enter it early in the day so I have to eat around it, but I also have come to a point where when I actually have these "no no foods" that I make sure to stop and check in with myself to see how I'm feeling before, during, and after eating it.

Often the food doesn't live up to the hype or the way I feel afterwards is not worth it.

If I know I'm going to have a lot of a treat, I mentally prepare that I will break it down into smaller portions as soon as it arrives.

I.E. I come to a party with a table filled with cookies, cakes, and pastries. I can tell myself before hand that I can do ____________. What ever works for you. For me, I tell myself I can have as much fruit and veggies as I want, and that I will have ONE cookie or piece of cake or etc.

If you're getting a giant tub of popcorn, I would buy a box of snack size ziploc bags, measure yourself out a portion to eat immediately, and while you're munching, make yourself busy with measuring out the rest into individual servings.

If you don't trust yourself to not binge, take your single serving and then give the rest away! Coworkers, church, retirement homes, etc.

Also you can psych yourself up for mindful eating. i.e. put some food into your mouth and then put your hands in your lap until you are done chewing and swallowing completely. Don't pick up more food until your mouth is empty.

:heart: :heart: :smooched::flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart: :heart:
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with pre logging the food that will give you the most trouble. If you 100% know that you're going to eat something that you may think isn't good for you, definitely log it first. And be generous. If you know you aren't going to stick to the 1/2 cup serving or whatever it is then make sure you give yourself enough that you will be able to stick to, then mold the rest of the day around it.

Also, one day will not kill you, it's overall calories at the end of the week that count, not exactly day by day, but if you will be eating this popcorn every day for a week or two then the pre-logging is key.
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I do. That's the main reason I pre-log all of my foods. Same goes for eating out. I usually know where we are going ahead of time, and I check the online nutrition info for that establishment and see what my favorite item(s) there will cost me in calories and decide if it's worth it or not. If it is, I log the decadent item and eat for the day accordingly. If it's not enough worth it, I find their healthy choices and go that route.

And....sometimes, you just go over on calories and it's not the end of the world. It's not a daily thing and I think you end up still netting over the course of a week at a deficit and that's what's important.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    I take a slightly different approach, I "earn" those calories through exercise. , I feel like I'm able to sustain success because I'm not denying myself the things I enjoy or the ability to feel stuffed.

Yesterday I made Puerto Rican rice & beans and fried plantains, about 1400 calories total. Knowing I was going to have that for dinner, I went and did a 7.25 mile jog to earn an extra 1000 calories on the day. I definitely overate, but felt great chowing down on my childhood comfort food. Still woke up this morning and posted 1lb lost!

If I know I'm going out on the weekend, Saturday morning I'll do two-a-days, with fairly intense morning and afternoon workouts to earn an extra 700-1000 calories to have for later. I still manage my portions, but working hard for it also lets me enjoy it that much more.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My planning is usually for meals out. To reach my calories on a normal day I eat quite a few snacks. On days when I am having a meal out I usually only have a mid morning snack and lighter than normal. If I know there is potential for it to be avery high calorie meal ie. a full 3 courses for example of a birthday party. I'll try to do a bit more exercise and also maybe eat a little less (not much just 200 calories or so) for the 2 or 3 days leading up to it. By doing this I have managed to lose 1.5 to 2 lb's for most weeks even when I've been out.
  • bbuccam
    bbuccam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Amen. I ride/run to eat! It feels like starving if I don't exercise just to eat a bit more. Power to ya.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

I do this too, it works!

However, it's also okay to go over your calorie limit every once in a while! It's what you do MOST in the long run that matters. If you're staying under your goal almost every day, it really doesn't matter if you pig out on that popcorn for once. Just don't make it a daily habit.

I go pretty far over my goal once or twice a month and I haven't had any trouble losing weight. Sometimes, we just need to indulge. And that's okay!
  • BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My fiance's birthday led to lots of cake and goodies around the house. I just replaced an afternoon snack with a treat, or another meal with a treat. I also worked out more. And made sure I had low cal popcorn and fruit if I got hungry!
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I take a slightly different approach. I "earn" those calories through exercise.

I used to "earn" my calories ahead of time so I had an excuse to binge, but I had a few problems with that:

a) I accepted the "estimated" calories burn that MFP WAY over inflates.
    b) I would find myself trying to "earn" calories every day to excuse my eating, so that I would log just normal walking around the office, etc.
    c)I saw exercise as a punishment to atone for food, rather than being its own reward.

I find it much more helpful now that I control my portion and foods all the time, exercise on a consistent program (3-4x week), and actually struggle to try and make it "up" to my calorie goal. From there I allow myself to indulge.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat it all at once. Schedule it in your calories intake, or enjoy it and make up for it later
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan to me!

I routinely "save" calories throughout the week so that I can "spend" them on the weekends, and I tend to pay more attention to my weekly average calories than my daily amounts.
  • proudmommy1003
    proudmommy1003 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

This is just exactly how I think. My husband keeps telling me "you're not gonna lose if you keep eating that". But of course I'm not going to have a strict diet that I won't be able to keep up the rest of my life.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Sounds like a plan to me!

I routinely "save" calories throughout the week so that I can "spend" them on the weekends, and I tend to pay more attention to my weekly average calories than my daily amounts.

GREAT idea! I've never really considered my "weekly average calories" ever, always my daily. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention:flowerforyou: :smooched: :flowerforyou:
  • alycat1990
    alycat1990 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think you should probably tell your friend for next time that you don't feel that comfortable accepting treats as a gift - because you are trying to be a much healthier happier person. If she is a good friend she will understand and accept that about you. I have had to turn down many treats/junk food from people along my journey.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I think you should probably tell your friend for next time that you don't feel that comfortable accepting treats as a gift - because you are trying to be a much healthier happier person. If she is a good friend she will understand and accept that about you. I have had to turn down many treats/junk food from people along my journey.

It's not my friend, well...it's my cousin and she's like a best friend. Ya know, this way of life is going to be a permanent one and really don't want to tell her not to send the fabulous kindhearted treats she sends us. Not only are the gifts she sends me from her heart, but they are beautiful baskets of utter yummies. This time, it's gourmet popcorn and it's scheduled to come today! I worked out like a champ yesterday and today I did 13,540 steps in total (so far) :drinker: What I'm going to do is gratefully accept her gifts of love to me/us and eat it with joy, knowing that for the rest of this life of mine, fattening goodies will be presented to me or I'll go after them, the only difference is I'll work my butt off in advance or afterwards, not eat like a glutton nor consider this "cheating" myself, eat good but less of my daily meals and snacks (making room in my daily cals allowance to to teach/train myself in self-control & balance)--just living and blessed-ya know? I know whatcha mean though, but she is sending this not just to me, but to my children and hubby as well. So I'm going "half my cake and eat it too" so to speak. Thank you so much for posting though:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!