Long Term Motivation

Options
Majot
Majot Posts: 16 Member
I can do excellent with eating and exercise for a couple of weeks at a time. Then, I get tired. I get tired of watching everything I eat and of getting up early to exercise. I don't totally quit either, but I do less than I had been on both fronts. So, I lose weight for about two weeks and then I gain it all back the next two weeks. I keep continuing this cycle over and over again. I've got a friend and she and I are trying to keep each other accountable, but we're both such bad cheaters. After a certain number of weeks of weight loss we go out for a pedicure. We check in with what we ate and tell each other how good or how horrible we did. But we both seem to be doing the same thing. So, it's hard to keep someone accountable if you aren't doing the right thing either. I have a pair of jeans I want to get into hanging where I see them everyday in my closet. I think they've been there for a year. I have clothes that are too small that I know I could fit back into if I lost 10 pounds. So, I'm planning to try them on in 10 pounds. So, I have goals, friends, incentives, etc. But on my off weeks none of these things seem to work. Any ideas of what I could do to motivate myself? Oh..and I'm not 100% on this...but it's possible this has something to do with my cycle. So, if that is the case, is there something I can do that would help that? Also, maybe I'm just not bucking up when things get hard and I'm letting myself off the hook. I'd love some honest advice. TIA!

Replies

• CocoFire
    CocoFire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It know it's not an option for everyone, but getting a personal trainer is the best thing I have ever done for my fitness-life.

I have started on this path so many times. I'm 36, and have only continued to gain weight despite all my attempts at losing.

I had to save money to do it, but my trainer is my inspiration, my motivation, and my friend. Some days I go to work out just to chat with him. I'm finding more and more though that I go because I want to go. I've been with him for 2 months and have seen major improvements. I don't have a number yet for how many pounds I've lost, but I am able to walk farther and faster, and I have dropped a size, maybe more. I had to buy new clothes today because my old standard black pants fell off when I put them on.

It helped me to write out my goals with the help of my trainer too. So I can remember what I'm working for. Measuring change takes time. So I like that I don't use the scale to gauge success. I just keep going.

Here is the link to my goals: http://revsmetaphor.blogspot.com/p/goals.html

I hope you find a path that works for you!
  • kassyk
    kassyk Posts: 14
    Options
    I think its great that you have someone supporting you threw the journey but the first thing you need to do is take RESPONSABILITY
    for what you want to achieve it is not up to your friend or anyone else to control the choices you make for you.Only you can do that once you truely committee to the changes that you want for you and only you will everything start to work. You can choose to do really well or you can choose to fail. What is your choice ?
    Once you make the choice then you can begin to start the real way of living healthy all the time and get more motivation from the results that you will receive
    Having a cheat day once and a while to cure a craving is ok but you have to stay on track for the most part
    Good luck to you on your journey
    Hope you get where you want to be
  • Kpatty
    Kpatty Posts: 41
    Options
    I have the same problems. This is the longest I've stayed motivated (about 4 weeks). But I think it's because I have a long-term goal that I have to PUSH myself toward if I want to succeed. I'm running a 1/2 marathon in October. I'm not a runner plus I had asthma and was a smoker...these things just make me push harder. But my goal is 1. realistic 2. something I've been wanting to do for a long time and see myself enjoying 3. A way for me to relieve stress.
    I suggest you find something you enjoy doing to help keep you motivated: dance, play softball, swim, hike, bike...these are all things that are fun, you can do with a friend/family, and will keep you going for a long time.
    Another thing. I'm pretty ADHD. I get bored easily. I find it helpful to keep my body guessing. I change workouts throughout the week!
    Eating healthy is a choice. What you put in your house is what you're going to eat. I used to say "I'm buying it for the kids or for my Husband...but THEY wouldn't touch it!" Buy foods that you know are good for you (and tasty). Jillian has a great recipe for Brownies!
    I hope this helps!
    Where there is a will there is a way! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I know it's not for everyone but I read Women Food and God by Geneen Roth who was on Oprah. That changed my whole perspective on eating and living. It helped me remember what my long term motivation really was. I want to be healthy but I also want to be in control of my life. I want to live my life instead of hating it and putting myself down all the time. There is nothing wrong with me or you.
    When you have the choice to be healthy or hate your life, which do you REALLY want??