HELP! ADVICE NEEDED!

Options
This is a question from my mum really, who is on a diet too (she's mid 40s) but doesn't have an account on here so I said I'd asK on here for her:
At buffets/BBQs/anywhere where there seems to be an unlimited amount of food...HOW do you stop yourself eating?! My mum finds it really hard...I think she has the mentality that if its there she'll eat it. Any advice anyone? How do you guys stop yourself overeating in these situations?
ADVICE MUCH NEEDED!

Replies

• karenga
    karenga Posts: 28
    Options
    Its really tough but I try to stay away from the food table talking to others. I try to get in plenty of exercise and have lighter options for other meals so that I can eat more for that meal. You really have to have the will power to resist as well! :(
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Try having a small salad before you go, that way you won't be hungry and less likely to binge on all the goodies on offer x x
  • melch
    melch Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I try to work off my daily calories before going to anything like that as I know I cant resist and you dont know how things have been cooked so I know if I have a good banked amount of cals before going out that I can treat myself without feeling guilty and I usually come away with calories left :O) so far I have been to hen nights, weddings, birthday parties and I havent put any weight on and I am 40 so have something in common with your mum also if you know how hard you have worked before coming out you dont really want to waste all of the calories by stuffing your face but its a comfort blanket just in case.

Melch :o)
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you have to go there, eat ONLY ONE PLATE.

That's too hard for me so I don't go.. >.<
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Whenever possible, avoid buffet situations. When not possible, use the smallest plate they have. Fill up on salad and fruit. Obviously all of this is easier said than done because the willpower has to be there or you shouldn't be in a buffet line.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree...avoid those buffets....however it happens that you wind up there sometimes. When I do, I tend to go for ONE plate and fill up 3/4 of the way with fruits and veges. Then I try to find a protein that is not deep friend or covered in gavy.....and no dessert.....maybe more fruit. I know I have to log all of those cals in so it keeps me pretty accountable. Hope this helps your mom.....you are sweet to take care of her!:flowerforyou:
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Really, if you know you can't resist... don't go.

I have only gone to Sizzler (once), which is kind of like a buffet (but they serve you a meal, too- it is an appetizer/salad buffet), and Souplantation since I started seriously trying to lose weight and joining MFP. At Sizzler, I planned it all out beforehand, looked up the nutritional info online, then ordered a meal that would fit and only ate half (one piece of chicken instead of two), and it was ok if I had some meatballs and tuna salad because I planned for it. When we go to Souplantation, I literally decide what I am going to eat beforehand and I don't stray from it. No extra scoop of soup or pasta, no fattening dressing, even though I really really want it, no pre-mixed salads, no ice cream with dessert, etc. Don't forget; places like Souplantation will tell you that they are "healthy" even when they are really, really not, unless you get nothing but salad and NO dressing. You have to look everything up in advance.

I really think that this is the best way to go. You should get your mom set up on here; I think it will really help her, and it isn't that difficult to use. If I know I am going out to eat with friends at a restaurant or will be at a buffet type place, I literally plan every bite of food that goes into my mouth the night before. Then, I plan my day around it. So if we go out to get those great burgers, I can eat one, and if that means all I eat the rest of the day is salad and veggies, so be it! But I know that I'll be within my calories for the day and I can relax and enjoy myself.

When it comes to family/friend gatherings, like bbqs, you can do the same thing to a certain extent. If you know you'll eat a hot dog or a hamburger, log it first. As for all the other goods, eat in moderation. You can have some chips and dip, just don't take a lot. If you are hungry and want to munch, go for the veggies and fruit. Maybe eat the hamburger or hot dog without a bun to lighten it up a bit, take some salad on the side, only have a bit of the fattening things like potato or macaroni salad if you really like them. And get out there! Go in the pool and swim, run around with the kids, toss a ball around, there are plenty of ways to get in some exercise when you're at a bbq to help off-set the extra cals you've been eating!

Same thing at something like a wedding. Dance your heart out! Don't eat the entire piece of cake. If the chicken has a cream sauce, get the steak or fish instead. And if there isn't an option, don't eat all the sauce. You can eat the chicken without covering every piece in the sauce. Have extra salad instead of a roll with butter. And if you really want that roll with butter or that extra bite of cake- keep dancing! ;)

It can be incredibly hard to stop yourself; I know. I am definitely one of those people that will eat food just because it is around. When I go to a buffet, of COURSE I don't want to eat only salad with no dressing and fruit and steamed veggies and only one plate when I just paid for a meal and there is pasta and meat and fried things! Which is why sometimes, it is better to just not go. Places like Hometown Buffet or a Chinese buffet would be the death of me. We used to go to these places a lot because we didn't have much money and sometimes, you just don't want to cook but you DO want to get as much food as you can for the least price possible if you are eating out. When I started looking stuff up, man... I was shocked! It isn't worth it to me anymore; the food isn't that good, and I can make a full meal that I can eat a whole serving of that is much better and much more filling. Sometimes you can't avoid it, but there are ways to make it better.
  • jaybeedee
    jaybeedee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you don't "have to" go (i.e. meeting, someone drags you there, etc.) don't choose that as a place to go. Just DON'T.

There's no way I could survive in a place like that... too much to choose from, and the mentality of "get it while I can" would take over my common sense.

DON'T DO IT! :)
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    I was recently pressured to go to Golden Corral, bit buffet of everything under the sun. I just decided that if I was gonna make this life-change and still hang with the friends i always have, I will have to be able to cope in these situations.
    I went to the buffet 4 times to keep up with everyone. First time, I got a huge salad. Not the best options for dressing, but I went with lite ceaser and went easy. Second trip, I got some fruit, couple different kinds and munched slowly. Next trip I found a baked potato and a grilled chicken. Tossed the chicken skin aside. Went with just lite butter, real bacon pieces, sour cream and pepper on the potato. The last trip was desert and I looooove their banana pudding. I grabbed the smallest bowl they had, think its usually used for butter, and resisted the urge to fill it to heaping. I only drank water, like 5 glasses while we were there.
    I felt like I got the full buffet experience (went up multiple times) and got to hang with my friends, but came out with I think 500calories. I was rather impressed with myself, though nobody else even noticed. It just takes self-control. If she can go without ruining her 'diet' she will feel completely amazing about herself.
    Success all depends on how bad we want it, but if she feels she can't sustain the willpower, help her find a way out of going.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    This is a question from my mum really, who is on a diet too (she's mid 40s) but doesn't have an account on here so I said I'd asK on here for her:
    At buffets/BBQs/anywhere where there seems to be an unlimited amount of food...HOW do you stop yourself eating?! My mum finds it really hard...I think she has the mentality that if its there she'll eat it. Any advice anyone? How do you guys stop yourself overeating in these situations?
    ADVICE MUCH NEEDED!

There is no easy way around that, it is like putting someobdy who loves a drink behind a free bar.

If she plans before she goes and continually puts it into her subconscious how many burgers or how much steak she wants to eat that is within her eating plan, she might have a chance. If she can avoid any sweets that would help enormously.

Easier said than done though :ohwell:

These lifelong eating plans also require changes to our thinking and that's the hard bit.

Out of interest though, I wonder if your mum is losing the weight under the idea that she is on a "diet" rather than "lifelong change"? If it is "diet" she is in a predicament, however, if she were to think along the lines of "lifelong change", she would realise that BBQs and parties will happen, on occasions throughout her life and unless she wants to be a hermit, she can never avoid them all for good, not sure she would want to anyway! :laugh:

She needs to change her thinking and realise it is for life to keep the weight off, but that doesn't mean a total restriction on everything - if it were, nobody would stick to it all. Willpower will be the force she will have to call on this time and if she eats slowly and deliberately and focuses on the food she is eating, at the time, she may start to feel full and not actually WANT anymore :smile: