Trying to lose weight, vegan, and feeling weak

Options

Replies

• dsco13
    dsco13 Posts: 1
    Options
    Add nutritional yeast to your diet. You can put it in any sauces that you use, make "vegan cheeze sauce" (google it), add it to a vegan butter spread, sprinkle it on popcorn, mix it in a food processor/blender with some cashews and make something like parmesan cheese.

Nutritional Yeast has the B12 vitamin that vegans miss out of their diet and you can pretty much add it to anything that you would have added cheese to. It has other vitamins as well.

I started off vegetarian in April of last year, but decided to go vegan in October because I couldn't control my dairy consumption. I've lost about 20 pounds since becoming vegan, with light exercise-would have lost more with more exercise (I hate working out during the winter time so most of my weight loss was from my diet and my job).

I eat Tofurkey products, Boca, Kale chips, Tofu Stir-fries/scrambles (I experiment with tofu), Tempeh Stir-Fries, beans, nuts (for my omega 3s), lost of fruits and vegetables. And the occasional vegan bakery sweet from Whole Foods.
    The best thing about being vegan is that you can pretty much eat whatever vegetables you want.

Sadly I haven't kept a consistent journal the past few months.

Edit: You can buy Nutritional Yeast in bulk at Whole Foods or possibly at other stores like Whole Foods. Might be hard to find if you live in a small town.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I just became a vegan about 2 months ago for ethical reasons. I have also been trying to lose weight by controlling my diet and exercising. The first 2-3 weeks, I was eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising 3 hrs 6 days a week in the evenings and not losing any weight. My starting weight was approximately 132 lbs at 5'4" and my goal weight is 115 lbs. Eventually I cut back a bit on the exercise and started attending body pump, body attack, body step classes 1 hr each day. I feel that I definitely gained more definition in my body and my clothes fit better (from a size 7 down to 5 or 4) but my weight wouldn't budge. It hasn't been until the last few days that I finally saw the scale move (total of maybe 6-7 weeks) and I'm now down to 128. But I feel so weak. I know it's probably because I'm not eating enough protein being vegan. At first I felt myself getting stronger at body pump classes, but instead of feeling stronger each time I go now it feels so hard! And I'm lifting the same weight I've been lifting for 2 weeks. I've also been eating more, I think averaging around 1500 calories a day now but I still feel so weak and tired. I don't really count calories but I just estimate based on what I eat. Does anyone have suggestions what I could eat that may help me feel stronger?

Here is a sample daily menu:
    Breakfast: 1 slice of multigrain bread from Whole Foods (approximately 120 calories) with either vegan butter or almond butter, half a banana, and a glass of soy milk
    Lunch: Salad (lettuce, spinach, olives, cucumber, chick peas, peas, 2-3 slices of beets, croutons) without any dressing (sometimes 1-2 tablespoons of salsa sauce as dressing)
    Then I go to gym for 1 hr (either body pump, body step, body attack, or run on treadmill)
    Dinner: 1 glass of soymilk, 1-2 slices of bread toasted with almond butter or vegan butter, sometimes I'll add half a piece of vegan breakfast sausage (Tofurky brand) about 35 calories, some kind of fruit such as 4-5 strawberries or a pear or something else.
    And I drink lots and lots of tea

Sometimes I'll also take a laxative to help move bowels along but I don't do this often, maybe only once a week.
    It sounds like you are not getting a lot of insoluble fiber As a vegan I stick to having at least one piece of fruit WITH each meal. I also have at least two cups of spinach a day. It seems that you are really under calories.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Did anyone actually read this? So much wrong here.
    The first 2-3 weeks, I was eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising 3 hrs 6 days a week in the evenings and not losing any weight. My starting weight was approximately 132 lbs at 5'4" and my goal weight is 115 lbs.

1200 calories per day is far too little for almost every single person, let alone someone who is exercising 10% of their waking hours... AND is already at a healthy weight for her height.

Exactly, thank you!! First things I thought, holy cow...
  • mary5832
    mary5832 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you all for some of the great suggestions. I forgot to mention that I actually also take a multivitamin supplement and fish oil supplement. To the person who said I had an eating disorder, that was very mean. I don't have an eating disorder. I believe what I believe and I stand firm by it. I do occasionally have treats also, where I go out for Chinese vegan stir fry or tofu meals, so I'm not undernourished. I will try to eliminate the bread though and substitute for rice and tofu as recommended. I dont like beans so cant eat that. I may cut back a bit on the exercise, perhaps only work out 4 times a week instead of 6, if I get too exhausted and can't keep up. I know that I am making some progress since I'm able to fit into old size 4 and 5 pants even if the weight loss isn't dramatic. My arms and legs are definitely more toned.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    Def in need of some more food. I was doing the weight loss thing as a vegarian up until about 2 weeks ago. Be sure to look into all of the wonderful proteins available to vegans and vegatarians... nuts, beans, quinoa, tofu, tempeh. I was also careful on the "meats" because they have a lot of processing. I was trying to do a lot of natural food though. If you just started a vegan diet, be sure to do a lot of research on all of the foods available to you that have some seriously amazing nutritional value!
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    I am no nutritionist, just someone trying to loose weight as well. I cut out carbs at night (bread). Maybe try to switch the salad to dinner and your dinner to lunch and see if that works? Lighter meals before bed are better.

This is right on and one of the reasons I started implementing meat back into my diet... I didn't want all of the carbs at dinner time!
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think you're not eating enough (especially for your activity level) and since you're already at a healthy weight, I think you may be trying to lose weight that you *don't* need to lose - this could be your body's happy weight. So be happy!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If you are committed to being a vegan, research everything you can about it to make sure you get the protein, and fats and vitamins that are easier to get from meat sources.

If you are not that committed but it's "just a phase" or something you are doing to go along with a b/f, g/f or clique...eat some meat. Outside. When no one is looking.
  • cktb4him
    cktb4him Posts: 56
    Options
    I think everyone on here has stated very important facts- eat more and make sure you are getting your B12. I also wanted to state that when I went vegan I got a fantastic book on nutrition to combine foods for iron and complete proteins. I found it at Amazon and this was 11 years ago and of course I don't see it now-but google or look at Amazon for nutrition and vegan diets. It's truly imperative to make sure that you know some nutrition basics on the vegan diet so that you get all the benefits from the diet. If you eat the right things on the diet and combine your foods properly (say like brown rice and beans with kale or spinach, or almond butter toast with and calcium fortified orange juice and fortified cereals Kashi and Nature's path have some great ones that are high in protein, fiber and taste great with soy, almond or rice milk) you will lose weight on the vegan diet and feel stuffed!

The vegan diet is very healthy if done right and it isn't rocket science you just need to read up a little to make sure you are getting the nutriets your body needs (B12 and iron are very important when going vegan to give energy). If you need any help let me know! :smile:
  • ThatFitVeganGirl
    Options
    Try eating more animals. They have the Vitamin B12, full spectrum amino acids, and saturated fats you're likely missing.

Also, they are delicious.

You are completely unhelpful for this legitimate question. The reason animal products contain B12 more readily than plant based products is because it is cultured through the growth of bacteria. Not all bacteria are bad in itself, but taking into account for how meat is processed, such high level of B12 should be a bit of a concern.

And for the actual question, it's rarely a lack of protein that vegans lack. Oftentimes, they aren't taking the right B vitamin supplements, which directly impacts energy. In your case, I believe your just flat out under eating, especially relative to the workouts you described. Try starting with a vegan multivitamin, a B-complex, and a B12 supplement.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    eat more!
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but my vegan friend knew I was trying to change my lifestyle to healthier/more plant based, and these books are so insightful and give really fun recipes that will also add some flavor let alone much needed nutrients to your meals:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Kind-Diet-Simple-Feeling/dp/1609611357

http://www.amazon.com/Skinny-*****-Rory-Freedman/dp/0762424931/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366781124&sr=1-1&keywords=skinny+*****
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    As has been mentioned you certainly need to eat more calories, and you should do your best to concentrate on nutrient-dense foods rather than just starches. Technically you can be vegan eating white bread, lays potato chips and drinking coke ... but there's no nutrients in those items.

Also, B12 is mentioned and is a very common deficiency in vegans. Vegans MUST supplement B12 in the diet, and there are vegan supplements. Every vegan MD and RD will tell you the same, BTW. Only the very ill-informed suggest you don't need supplementation.

Yes, you mentioned taking a multi-vitamin, but I guarantee you it's not enough. See this: http://jacknorrisrd.com/will-a-multi-vitamin-cover-b12-needs/

It's also not uncommon to be low on iron or other nutrients.

When choosing a vegan lifestyle, you MUST research nutrition to know what's going to help fuel your body properly. You also should get regular blood tests to ensure you're not lacking in nutrients, and supplement where needed.

Although I'm not vegan - I will never be disrespectful of someone's ethical choices, and want to stress the medical necessity of proper nutrition, because many vegans don't get the nutrition they need.

For more info, please see http://www.jacknorrisrd.com for some good information on vegan nutrition. Jack is a vegan and a registered dietician - and although I don't agree with some of what he says, he at-least gives good advice where nutrients are concerned.
  • Loisxyz
    Loisxyz Posts: 17
    Options
    To the person who said I had an eating disorder, that was very mean. I don't have an eating disorder. I believe what I believe and I stand firm by it.

I apologise if you think I was being mean. It was not intended that way. I am simply concerned that someone with a normal body weight is eating so little, exercising so much and regularly taking laxatives (albeit not every day). It sounds close to problematic to me. I hope I am wrong.
  • mary5832
    mary5832 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The first 2-3 weeks, I was eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising 3 hrs 6 days a week in the evenings and not losing any weight. My starting weight was approximately 132 lbs at 5'4" and my goal weight is 115 lbs.

1200 calories per day is far too little for almost every single person, let alone someone who is exercising 10% of their waking hours... AND is already at a healthy weight for her height.

Yup. Someone needs a steak.
  • blondie_182_182
    blondie_182_182 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Eating some veggies and toast with nut butter is not going to cut it. You need more variety to get nutrients. Also, you need to get more protein.

There are plenty of alternatives to meat that are yummy. Learn how to cook tofu - it's cheap, it has lots of protein, and it can be used in many different ways. Google some recipes if you aren't sure. Seeds, nuts, and beans should be part of your diet. You can do a lot with these also. Look into getting a vegan protein powder and make sure you are taking a B12 supplement.

Going vegan is not always the easiest lifestyle choice - you have to plan what you are eating to get the right nutrition. I was vegan for 2 years (I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian at the moment) and I know how difficult it can be.
  • FrankieB127
    FrankieB127 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU. I'm basically going to say the same thing as the person I'm quoting: you need to be eating more calories if your'e going to be exercising that much. Yes, you need to create a calorie deficit to lose weight, but if your deficit is too great your body will actually stall the weight loss process because it thinks you're starving (hint: you ARE). Healthy weight loss typically looks like 1-2 pounds a week. I know that seems frustratingly slow but, trust me, once a few months pass you'll be amazed at how quickly the weight came off. Also, doing extreme diets can do your metabolism permanent damage. It's not worth screwing up your body for life just for speedy weight loss.

• sailawaykate
    Options
    Rice and beans are your best friend. Quinoa is your second-best friend (so much protein!), followed closely by lentils.

Throw in a sweet potato now and then, and eat more variety in your vegetables! You are missing out on a world of beautiful food by eating just bread and salad.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Yup. Someone needs a steak.

nope, just more vegan food