scared ill get too muscular looking if i lift weights!

Options
Hello.. does anyone know the basics about weight lifting? I am only really working on getting rid of my flab under my arms and I'm only lifting 8lb weights each arm when I work out, but im really worried im gonna look bigger due to the muscle build. I am really noticing results and seeing the definition in my arms but they dont seem like their getting thinner but bigger!!! Anyone else having this issue?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ya, not going to happen to ya, don't worry, unless you are taking steroids and working out a whole lot more.

Want to get this bulky?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/894293-ladies-weight-lifting-will-make-something-bulky
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Really not going to happen unless you're lifting really heavy weight and roiding up.
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Normally lifting weights builds and tones muscles... normally, Extreme lifting takes it to that next level (where you don't want to go). Keep lifting , you'll tone your muscles to replace the fat and burn calories routinely... :wink: :wink:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    then don't lift.

If you do lift, you won't gain any meaningful size, so don't worry about that. You may notice the muscle a bit more, especially as you lose the fat that is covering it up, which isn't the same as getting bigger muscles.

It really comes down to personal preference and how you want to look. If you're that worried about it, then don't lift. You can always start lifting down the road if you so choose.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Getting "too muscular looking" only happens with intention to do so.

Lift weights. They're good for you.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Seriously, read this success story and you'll want to lift really heavy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/968182-i-lost-a-person-but-i-found-myself-leaky-s-story
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bulking up is intentional. You'll be fine, particularly with lower to moderate weights combined with repetition
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you lose fat while you gain muscle, there's no way you'll look bigger. You might have really toned arms by the end it, but unless you're trying to bulk up, you won't gain a bunch of muscle mass.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hmm what I don't get is why *most* people would rather look how they look than muscular...(which they wont look that way anyways usually). I told my husband the other day I do not CARE if I start looking more muscular (my definition has started to show a 'lil' over the past few months) b/c it sure beats the flab, cellulite and squishiness of before. No I don't do steroids ew. And I'm not a sheman either.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's not going to happen.

1. You're a woman. Unless you have a huge hormonal imbalance, you have anywhere between 10-30x less testosterone than men, which is what is need to get "bulky". And even some men have problems getting big, which leads me to my next point:

2. I'm assuming you're eating at a deficit, so you're not taking in enough calories to build muscle. You will get stronger, but even that will plateau if you continue to eat at a deficit because you'll need more muscle. You need to eat more than your maintenance calories to see any significant muscle growth.

There are what is referred to as "newbie" gains, but that eventually levels off - and even that is not enough to cause you to get "bulky".

I've been doing mainly weight lifting for a few weeks now - at first it was just dumbbells, but I out grew them (they only went up to 25 pounds), and I started using barbells on Monday. Based on my own results, I'm definitely not getting bigger. It might seem that way, especially since muscle "swells" to repair itself, but you're not going to get bulky, trust me.

If it helps, take measurements and see for yourself.

What will happen though is that if you take up weight lifting, and do heavy reps (heavy for you), the ratio of muscle loss to fat loss is going to decrease, and you'll end up with that awesome "toned" look.

As far as flab - you can't spot reduce, but eating at a deficit will reduce overall body fat, which will eventually (hopefully) help that go away.

And as far as the basics - I'm certainly no expert (totally a newbie, but I read A LOT), but there are a ton of beginner programs out there: NROLFW, Stronglifts, and Starting Strength, just to name a few. I've actually read all of them (that I mentioned) and settled on Starting Strength. I was scared venturing into the weight room, but today was my second day and I find that I really like it.

Good luck!
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I kind of disagree with the prevailing thought that women can't get bulky by lifting weights/ resistance training. I'm thinking back to my competitive swimming years and how my shoulders got pretty meaty-looking. I never looked like a female fitness model or body builder, that's true, but you could still tell the difference in photos. Even some of the photos I see here, where women say "Look! I lift and I'm not bulky!" I would disagree... They do look fantastic, but they do look more muscular than I would care to be. The whole matter seems pretty subjective, though.

With that said, muscle isn't like fat. If you don't use it, you lose it. If you find yourself getting more bulky than you'd like, just stop or cut back.
  • RedfishGuy
    RedfishGuy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting weights for 25+ years. I still haven't become "muscular looking."

Lift weights, or don't. Your choice. But in order to get rid of the turkey wings, you're going to need to shed the fat. I'd lift weights, too, if it was me, in order to get some muscle strength and shape.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    When you get the the amount of muscle you want, then stop training for gaining and train to maintain...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • jenlyons21
    jenlyons21 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the great advice. I guess its all in my head lol. I definitely want to tone and get definition in my arms but I want to keep my petite form as well. Im only 5 feet tall( i know lol). I think Im going to start measuring my progress more by inches instead of pounds. Ive never worked out before, I never had the need to until I gained 50 lbs from being pregnant, and Im seeing big changes in my body and Im like wth? lol Thank you guys!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    I kind of disagree with the prevailing thought that women can't get bulky by lifting weights/ resistance training. I'm thinking back to my competitive swimming years and how my shoulders got pretty meaty-looking. I never looked like a female fitness model or body builder, that's true, but you could still tell the difference in photos. Even some of the photos I see here, where women say "Look! I lift and I'm not bulky!" I would disagree... They do look fantastic, but they do look more muscular than I would care to be. The whole matter seems pretty subjective, though.

With that said, muscle isn't like fat. If you don't use it, you lose it. If you find yourself getting more bulky than you'd like, just stop or cut back.
    There's a difference between "bulky" and "muscular". One denotes more fat than the other. Betting that when you swam, you had average to low body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Not this again..
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Common newb question, be nice.

You won't get bulky, sorry, without steroids.

You have to understand there are two dimensions - lowering your body fat %, which can reveal the muscle you have, versus making the muscles themselves bigger.

Sometimes the first can look like that latter, but it's an illusion, because other places are getting thinner relatively, or it's just revealing the muscle you have.

Just target a low enough body fat, but not too low for the ripped look, and you'll be fine. You're not going to be bulky accidentally.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Common newb question, be nice.

You won't get bulky, sorry, without steroids.

You have to understand there are two dimensions - lowering your body fat %, which can reveal the muscle you have, versus making the muscles themselves bigger.

Sometimes the first can look like that latter, but it's an illusion, because other places are getting thinner relatively, or it's just revealing the muscle you have.

Just target a low enough body fat, but not too low for the ripped look, and you'll be fine. You're not going to be bulky accidentally.

good post.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    STOP thinking like that!
    Lift the darn weights....when they no longer offer much pain/resistance, lift heavier.
    YOU WILL NOT GET "BULKY".
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You'll probably find that you need to lift heavier weights to see results. I only lift 60-80 pounds for my arm exercises and I doubt anyone would call me bulky or muscular. Don't worry about looking bulky, especially if you are eating at a deficit-- you aren't going to look bulky unless you're planning on eating a huge surplus of calories and taking steroids.