Lymph Massage

Options
There is a place up the road that offers a lymph massage for $70 for an hour. Has anyone had one of these? Is it worth the money? Does it help with weight loss/cellulite?

:happy:

Replies

• kt_731
    kt_731 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Nothin for me, eh?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    A massage that helps you lose weight or cellulite? My, uneducated, guess is that it's probably a waste of money.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've had some lymph massage before. It was just part of a regular massage. It is very gentle, especially on the side of the neck. It stimulates your lymph nodes to drain and stimulates your lymphatic system. Which I don't think necessarily helps you with weight loss. The best thing for your lymphatic system is exercise. But if you are injured or immobile or can't otherwise walk or do any cardio, then lymph massage can be very helpful.
  • erh20000plus
    erh20000plus Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If it is a lymphatic massage, it is especially for people with lymphodema. After bilateral masectonomy and lymphodema caused by radiation, I had them three times a week for 3+ months and while they help circulation, I have not lost weight with them.
  • kt_731
    Options
    A massage that helps you lose weight or cellulite? My, uneducated, guess is that it's probably a waste of money.

Its not just for weight loss. I'm reading that is has a lot of benefits. Some random sites are showing help with weight around your stomach and with cellulite. Which I thought sounded like BS, hence the reason I posted this. Thanks, but no thanks for your uneducated guess.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

Its not just for weight loss. I'm reading that is has a lot of benefits. Some random sites are showing help with weight around your stomach and with cellulite. Which I thought sounded like BS, hence the reason I posted this. Thanks, but no thanks for your uneducated guess.

Ok.
  • kt_731
    Options
    I've had some lymph massage before. It was just part of a regular massage. It is very gentle, especially on the side of the neck. It stimulates your lymph nodes to drain and stimulates your lymphatic system. Which I don't think necessarily helps you with weight loss. The best thing for your lymphatic system is exercise. But if you are injured or immobile or can't otherwise walk or do any cardio, then lymph massage can be very helpful.

Okay, cool. Just looking up different ways to release toxins out of the body. Thought this sounded cool.
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i would recommend a myofascial massage. its a type of deep tissue massage but it does not hurt. its amazing and I go once every 3 weeks.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps with weight loss is eating less calories than you burn. The massage may feel good, but will not help with weight loss at all.
  • kt_731
    Options
    The only thing that helps with weight loss is eating less calories than you burn. The massage may feel good, but will not help with weight loss at all.

Okay, thanks for the amazing tip. I will probably lose tons of weight just from reading this. I was trying to see if anyone had any real benefit from lymph massage and if anything I read had any truth to it.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options

^^ This. If you already exercise-- and you don't have an existing medical issue with your lymphatic system, as another poster mentioned-- I don't think you'll see any added benefit from it. However, I'm never one to turn down a massage!
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add massage does not help with weight loss, but it is beneficial especially if you work out. i recommend it especially if you run.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You may want to tone down the sarcasm. It's rude. People are just giving their thoughts on it.
  • thelittlew0lf
    Options
    As a licensed massage therapist with training in lymphatic drainage massage, lymph massage (or any type of massage for that matter) won't help with weight loss or aid in getting rid of cellulite. It is good for helping flushing toxins that can accumulate in the lymph system and can help with allergies. People have mixed results with lymph massage though - for some it works, and others don't feel a difference. It is an extremely light massage because lymph vessels lie very close under the skin; more pressure than that will bypass the lymph vessels/nodes and work the tissue underneath. When I was in school, my instructor recommended getting one quarterly, but $70 an hour seems really over-priced, especially for how little work the massage therapist has to do during the session.

I think you'd be better off getting a regular massage and asking if they could integrate lymph drainage into it, or, if you're really curious and want to try a lymph massage, shop around and see if you can find a better deal than $70/hour. ABMP (Associated Bodyworkers and Massage Professionals) has a lot of great information on their website under the "Public" tab, as well as a directory of Massage Therapists in the country (http://www.massagetherapy.com/find/index.php).
  • kt_731
    Options
    i would recommend a myofascial massage. its a type of deep tissue massage but it does not hurt. its amazing and I go once every 3 weeks.

Okay, thanks I will look into it. I was mainly concerned with ways to release toxins, but I suppose all massages do that somewhat.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • kt_731
    Options
    As a licensed massage therapist with training in lymphatic drainage massage, lymph massage (or any type of massage for that matter) won't help with weight loss or aid in getting rid of cellulite. It is good for helping flushing toxins that can accumulate in the lymph system and can help with allergies. People have mixed results with lymph massage though - for some it works, and others don't feel a difference. It is an extremely light massage because lymph vessels lie very close under the skin; more pressure than that will bypass the lymph vessels/nodes and work the tissue underneath. When I was in school, my instructor recommended getting one quarterly, but $70 an hour seems really over-priced, especially for how little work the massage therapist has to do during the session.

I think you'd be better off getting a regular massage and asking if they could integrate lymph drainage into it, or, if you're really curious and want to try a lymph massage, shop around and see if you can find a better deal than $70/hour. ABMP (Associated Bodyworkers and Massage Professionals) has a lot of great information on their website under the "Public" tab, as well as a directory of Massage Therapists in the country (http://www.massagetherapy.com/find/index.php).

Alright, awesome. Good to know. I thought $70 seemed high, but I never really heard of a lymph massage before.
  • annmarie1764
    Options
    I also have lymphedema and I have these massages regularly and I have not seen any benefits for weight loss.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You may want to tone down the sarcasm. It's rude. People are just giving their thoughts on it.

And you did ask if it helps with weight loss. Just sayin'.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Massage has greatly benefited me as an athlete, especially when it comes to recovery between sessions. It has not, however, had any effect on my weight loss.