Exercise helping weight loss???

Hi I've just got my head back in the game I'm following my calories and sticking to them but I'm based on time restrictions and fitness level only able to do ten-fifteen minutes exercise but will do this every day is this enough to help with my weight loss. I do on weekends generally do a 1-2 hour walk or 1-2 hours indoor rock climbing and belaying? Thanks for any advice

Replies

• missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    I think as long as you are active for a sustained period - enough to raise your heart rate, then any exercise is better than none. Plus you also do a good amount at the weekend.

I'm not sure what you do for work, but if you are behind a desk or sitting down, there are several exercises you can do discreetly in your chair such as bum clenches, calf stretches and ab crunches - obviously they are not aerobic, but everything helps! It might be worth getting hold of a pedometer too - see how many steps you do a day!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    People who lose weight without exercise experience more muscle loss than those who exercise while losing weight. Weight loss is mostly diet .... but exercise while burning some calories, mainly helps with how your body will "look" after weight loss.
  • rachy_09
    rachy_09 Posts: 41 Member
    Thank you both for your comments great advice I need to tone up as well as losing weight. So will try n do both as much as possible.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    I'm pretty sure there is a wealth of desk/office exercises you can do that are available online - or things you can do whilst cooking dinner/sitting down/showering - I always remember taking an exam and after I finished I did 20 minutes of bum clenches!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Diet is weight loss, exercise is fitness. If you exercise, especially weight training, you will improve muscle retention. Additionally, if you exercise, you get to eat more calories as the more active you are, the more calories you burn and the more your body needs.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Hi I've just got my head back in the game I'm following my calories and sticking to them but I'm based on time restrictions and fitness level only able to do ten-fifteen minutes exercise but will do this every day is this enough to help with my weight loss. I do on weekends generally do a 1-2 hour walk or 1-2 hours indoor rock climbing and belaying? Thanks for any advice

If you are time poor I would say every little helps so build in little extras throughout the day as you can. E.g. at home when boiling the kettle, needing to watch something on the cooker etc I march round or walk side to side in my kitchen, same when on the phone and yes I look daft but it all adds up. At work instead of emailing or phoning colleagues in other rooms, I get up and walk round to have that chat. Sometimes at lunch I will have a short walk and I always take stairs rather than lifts to my floor unless I am carrying lots of stuff.

These are just a couple of things but do what works for you.
  • dannatona
    dannatona Posts: 101 Member
    Any exercise is better than none, but I've read most places that you should try to get at least 30 mins a day in. I've had the same desk job for about 8 years now, and I know the pain of gaining weight from being inactive. Most of the time I consume about 1200 calories a day, but if I don't workout I rarely lose weight.

To me, you just have to decide how much you want to lose weight. I've been trying to wake up early and workout before work recently, because I do not often have time to workout after work. Seeing my body change isn't always enough motivation for me to get up early to work out before work... but I just remind myself that no one ever regrets working out.
  • I also have an office job and, after sitting behind a desk for 8 years AND experiencing menopause, I have put on weight. I have plateaued and find for the past 5 weeks, I am not losing so much as an ounce. BUT, I stepped up my exercise and I am losing INCHES! I am toning up with walking, swimming and yoga. I do yoga about twice a week, swim for an hour or so twice a week and walk for 45 minutes every day. Last weekend hubby and I went shopping because my jeans were literally falling off me. Turns out I needed jeans TWO sizes smaller...and I am still the same weight I was last month!
  • Hi I've just got my head back in the game I'm following my calories and sticking to them but I'm based on time restrictions and fitness level only able to do ten-fifteen minutes exercise but will do this every day is this enough to help with my weight loss. I do on weekends generally do a 1-2 hour walk or 1-2 hours indoor rock climbing and belaying? Thanks for any advice

I also have time issues. It can be difficult but is completely doable. I have been looking up various ways to get the most bang out of my buck when it comes to squeezing in 15 minutes exercises. You would be surprised if you broke down what you do throughout the day. I mean write it all down and find things that you can just straight up chop off your daily schedule. I know when I did this I found that I wasted about an hour a day on things I really didn't need to be doing. I also stumbled across this blog http://weightslaine.com/wordpress and it has been very helpful. Hope this helps rachy.