fat burning exercise???

Options
whats the best exercise for burning fat?

running on tredmill makes me slightly dizzy although i give it my best shot! but i have noticed that changing the gradient higher and walking very fast burns lots of calories...according to the tredmill.

whats everyones advice and also whats your fat burning technique?

Im doing light weights for example with lunges and squats.. will these help burn a bit of fat too?

Replies

• mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting works best for me. Running and cardio is more endurance and big calorie burners
    bump to see more results
  • fatmam89
    fatmam89 Posts: 10
    Options
    thanks for your reply :)

but wouldnt heavy lifting make me really muscley but flabby at the same time...

im so confused :(
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Any cardio that will get you into your fat burning heart rate zone. I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor and determining what type of intensity you need to work at. If you work out to hard and get your heart rate to high you will likely be burning more muscle. Their are sweet spots to work out at depending on your goals fast paced walking or light jogging are usually sufficient to get you into that zone.

And no, lifting will not make you muscly, it depends on your intensity and diet. Lifting can be a great toning and fat burning routine.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    exercise burns calories, not fat.

you lose fat by eating less calories than your body uses. The body will then shed mass to equalize the energy equaltion. fat is part of that mass..

Muscle is also part of that mass. thats why it's critical you do resistance training otherwise it's a case of you don't use it you lose it. And the body will shed more muscle and less fat while in deficit.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Any cardio that will get you into your fat burning heart rate zone. I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor and determining what type of intensity you need to work at. If you work out to hard and get your heart rate to high you will likely be burning more muscle. Their are sweet spots to work out at depending on your goals fast paced walking or light jogging are usually sufficient to get you into that zone.

And no, lifting will not make you muscly, it depends on your intensity and diet. Lifting can be a great toning and fat burning routine.
    this is complete myth.

if a high heartrate burned muscle then every sprinter should be much less muscled than long distance runners as they are always training with a stupid high heartrate right?

And fat burning zone is a myth too. if it were true then sitting on your *kitten* all day would be the best exercise program ever because when you sit on your *kitten* all day, 100% of your calorie burning is done from your fat stores. So it would make sense than people who sit on their *kitten* all day and do nothing else ever must be the least fat people....
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    deadlifts, squats, lunges.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    You can do the BEST "fat burning exercise".

However, if you don't eat properly ie, eat more calories than spend. Your fat will remain or even grow.
  • jnzema
    jnzema Posts: 24
    Options
    Biking with resistance has been a big calorie burner for me, karate/martial arts kicks *kitten* at burning calories, swimming laps is a good all over toner.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    All of them.
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting. No cardio bunny stuff will burn much fat, just mostly lean mass. In argument with "It's gonna make me too bulky", you would have to spend umpteen hours on the same muscle, developing, to become bulky. Research outside MFP and you will see.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Exercise in and of itself does not burn any fat. That said the best way to lose fat without losing muscle it to have a reasonable caloric deficit, not too large. You can achieve this with or without cardio. Cals in vs. cals out for weight loss, but if you don't want to lose muscle the in should not be too far under the out.

To ensure a large % of your loss is fat, take part in a heavy or moderately heavy strength training routine, and get adequate protein. The strength training and protein will ensure that you don't lose much muscle along with the fat.

Caloric deficit leads to weight loss (diet alone can do this)
    Strength training and adequate protein in a caloric deficit leads to muscle retention.
    End result lose fat, not just weight.
  • Jstarr77
    Jstarr77 Posts: 24
    Options
    I think it gets super confusing. The advice my trainer gave me is to do three sessions of at least 45 minutes in duration a week of sustained cardio - like walking fast or eliptical or something - that keeps my heart rate in the 'aerobic' zone to help with fat burn. Then I hit it harder the other days to push my limits and build power.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    whats the best exercise for burning fat?

running on tredmill makes me slightly dizzy although i give it my best shot! but i have noticed that changing the gradient higher and walking very fast burns lots of calories...according to the tredmill.

whats everyones advice and also whats your fat burning technique?

Im doing light weights for example with lunges and squats.. will these help burn a bit of fat too?
    Fork put downs.:laugh: Fat loss is due to calorie deficit. You don't even need to exercise doing it.
    But if you want to take advantage of a better metabolic rate, I would suggest HIIT training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Interval training is probably the most efficient, but I mostly stick to weights and light running (20-30 minute runs). The weight training improves your body composition, adding more calorie-consuming lean mass, and the cardio burns off calories and (more importantly), helps keep your metabolism revved up burning fat throughout the day.

Combine those with a clean diet and a proper daily calorie goal, and there's no way you won't lose fat.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Fat burning zone is a myth. While fat may be utilized more during low intensity exercise, unless one is doing extra long duration, it's insignificant when compared to doing a higher intensity exercise that burns more calories for the same duration.
    And burning muscle would take putting the body into a catabolic mode which usually won't happen in an hour or two of exercise.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

this is complete myth.

if a high heartrate burned muscle then every sprinter should be much less muscled than long distance runners as they are always training with a stupid high heartrate right?

And fat burning zone is a myth too. if it were true then sitting on your *kitten* all day would be the best exercise program ever because when you sit on your *kitten* all day, 100% of your calorie burning is done from your fat stores. So it would make sense than people who sit on their *kitten* all day and do nothing else ever must be the least fat people....
    CORRECT. +1

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I think it gets super confusing. The advice my trainer gave me is to do three sessions of at least 45 minutes in duration a week of sustained cardio - like walking fast or eliptical or something - that keeps my heart rate in the 'aerobic' zone to help with fat burn. Then I hit it harder the other days to push my limits and build power.
    It helps with calorie burn. What most trainers don't know is that you burn more fat sleeping than any hour long cardio session.

IDEA Fitness member
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am no sprinter but I can tell you that I cannot maintain an exercise for very long pushing my heart rate to far into my aerobic zone. When I exercise I try to keep it in the 140-150s and than I can make it through an hour. Just by watching my food and heart rate I have been able to drop over 40 pounds since January 1 and I have gone from 27% body fat to around 20%. This is what worked for me but I am no professional trainer.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am no sprinter but I can tell you that I cannot maintain an exercise for very long pushing my heart rate to far into my aerobic zone. When I exercise I try to keep it in the 140-150s and than I can make it through an hour. Just by watching my food and heart rate I have been able to drop over 40 pounds since January 1 and I have gone from 27% body fat to around 20%. This is what worked for me but I am no professional trainer.
    If the intent isn't to be a sprinter or fast runner in endurance, then of course one won't train that way. Like any other sport, unless you're conditioned to do it, then it's going to be difficult.
    You've done what you feel confident and comfortable doing to achieve what you have. That's part of the battle. Keep it up.
    You're just receiving correct information now instead of misinformation being touted by many including the fitness industry.

IDEA Fitness member