It's hard.

Options
I live with my boyfriend of almost 5 years. He is super lazy. Plays video games, watches tv, eats insane amounts of junk food, works a desk job, and somehow he weighs 140 lbs! He has a 13% BF according to our scale!

I just don't get it! I eat a healthy wrap with 1oz of chips. He eats a wrap with loaded with turkey, cheese and chips inside! I work out or at least walk the dog every day it's not raining or snowing.

Why is he so skinny and perfect but I am way over weight?

Today is just a hard day for me because after I finish eating my healthy lunch he says to me "want a snack? some pudding sounds good"

I just want to smack him! LOL.

Replies

• Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I understand, although my Boy Friend is over weight and doesn't try to eat healthy......I try to make good choices at the store and he gets cookies, cakes, chips.....I have found also that everyone's metabolism is different. I have to make the right choices for me and yes sometimes they are tough choices.
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yeah mine weighs 110 dripping wet and can eat an entire pizza and a bag of chips without moving the scale the next day. I get him things I don't like, that helps lol
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! My hubby is like a toothpick. At his "heaviest" when he had a really sedatary job I actually thought he looked normal lol. He eats all kinds of crap and never gains an ounce. But, since I was not blessed with the perfect metabolism I threw away all the junk food and started cooking so I had total control over what our meals are and how healthy they are prepared. He complains about whole wheat bread instead of white, 2% milk instead of whole milk and turkey instead of hamburger but I tell him to suck it up lol.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have recently read about a theory that your tendency to put on weight (or not) is, at least partly, a function of the relative populations of different microbes in your gut. This makes a certain amount of sense to me, as I know it is possible to affect whether cattle put on weight or put their caloric input into milk production, depending on how the rumen microbes are "fed" (If you feed one way, the bacteria produce one volatile fatty acid, which tends to be used to build meat and fat; feed a different way and a different VFA is the major output and it's NOT inclined to turn into meat and fat). Now the only way to change this would be to kill off all one's intestinal flora and get a "transplant"/"donation" from someone who stays thin while eating anything, but there are studies being done (on mice and such) to test the theory - I'm thinking the "cure" might be worse though than just controlling my lifestyle.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It's not always hard.

It just gets like that sometimes.
  • kk41890
    kk41890 Posts: 7
    Options
    It's nice to hear that other people are in the same situation. I'm not alone!

I gave in a little later and ate some pudding with him. It was sugar free so I don't feel as bad.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    It's not always hard.

I am here for you.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I live with my boyfriend of almost 5 years. He is super lazy. Plays video games, watches tv, eats insane amounts of junk food, works a desk job, and somehow he weighs 140 lbs! He has a 13% BF according to our scale!

I just don't get it! I eat a healthy wrap with 1oz of chips. He eats a wrap with loaded with turkey, cheese and chips inside! I work out or at least walk the dog every day it's not raining or snowing.

Today is just a hard day for me because after I finish eating my healthy lunch he says to me "want a snack? some pudding sounds good"

He probably has more muscle than you.....Although at 140 not much. Maybe he makes better choices when you aren't together or moves more than you know while at work.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    this sounds EXACTLY like my boyfriend lol..... it gets on my nerves too but everybodies body is different so nothing you can do about that.....

I told him when he's 40 it'll all hit him & i'll already be on the road to a healthy lifestyle & he'll have to catch up lol
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    It's not always hard.

haahahahaaaaaa
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    It's not always hard.

In the morning it is.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    It's not always hard.

Give me a call when it happens. I'll take a look and see what I can do.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

A few weeks ago a link to a video was posted describing an English experiment in which a small group of people deliberately overate. I didn't get to finish it, but it appears that some people's genetics make it virtually impossible for them to become obese.

Your boyfriend sounds fairly young. He may not always be able to eat what he wants. I know a lot of formerly thin (and athletic) people who didn't make changes when the pounds began to stick.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my husband and brother were both like that. Until they hit their late 30's. Then they both got pregnant...OK, they both just got a gut that looked like they were pregnant.

Suddenly they had to pay attention to their eating too.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yeah it stinks but it's just a fact of life/nature. When Hubs and I first met, he was the same way - all lanky and wirey. Then he got a more sedentary job, ate more junk on the road, started drinking beer and the pounds started piling on.

I used to pile our plates up exactly the same and share a large pizza with him and drink as much as he did. When I started losing weight it hit me - no wonder so many woman are overweight when we live with men who can handle more calories than us and we just assume it's normal to eat the same amount! So I changed things up a bit... We still eat the same foods more or less (I've tweaked some ingredients to make meals healtheir) but I make sure my portions are smaller because I just don't need that many calories.

You just have to get used to the idea of having less and being satisfied with those smaller portions. And while he's being lazy, you go out for a walk or something to earn more calories so you can have that pudding snack with him.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Funny I came across this again... I was watching an episode of Extreme Makeover: Weightloss Edition last night where a guy was super overweight and wanted to lose it... and was engaged so a someone overweight woman.

As he started changing his eating habits and working out long hours to lose the weight she refused to change and grew resentful that he wasn't spending time with her although she wouldn't work out with him w/out complaining.

The trainer told him 9/10 times when a couple doesn't make the change TOGETHER either the person wanting to lose the weight will fail... or the relationship will.

The couple broke up within 4 months. I talked to my hubby about this last night and told him... this is going to be a permanent change... so you need to get on the bandwagon or its not going to work. He agreed to start working out with me and stop complaining about the healthier food. Just thought i'd share... maybe it's worth a conversation.