Healthy sauces for stirfry

Options
Ok, I love stir frys, and ofteen have salmon or chicken with stir fried veg and noodles or rice. I normally put a stir fry sauce on like Blue Dragon Sweet and Sour or Sweet Chilli and Garlic, but these are around 150-200 calories.
Can anyone suggest alternative stir fry sauces or ideas, as I don't really wan to eat it dry!
Hope you are all doing well today!!

Replies

• fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Not as tasty as the caloric sauces, but I often use V-8 juice, lots of fresh garlic, fresh ginger, scallions, etc.
  • kezza8888
    kezza8888 Posts: 75
    Options
    Hiyaaa!

Firstly I recommend using seasame oil, fresh ginger, lemon grass and garlic in the pan - a small amounts adds so much lovely flavour to the meat etc...

Then I personally dont use packet sauces either, so for a quick solution I mix soy and honey with Chinese 5 spice seasoning (only about 2-3tbs in total 2 feed 2ppl) and chuck it on last minute for a quick coating beofre serving. Kind of like a glaze....

Nom Nom nommm :-)
  • mary_elizabeth28
    Options
    Growing up, I always had stir fry with soy sauce - pretty much calorie free but lots of salt! These days though, like you, I always use the Blue Dragon sauce pouches.
    My problem with those though is when I'm making it for my boyfriend and I, half isn't enough but a full one each is too much!
  • kezza8888
    kezza8888 Posts: 75
    Options
    Further to what I already wrote, check out Gourmet Garden tubes of herbs and spice (normally in the chilled veg section of supermarket). They keep for several weeks and are ALMOST as nice as fresh ginger, garlic etc! Just a secondary option to buying these great spices that you perhaps dont use fast enough to use up and avoid wastage! But fresh is always best of course x
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe for sauces to put on chicken dishes n MFP recently. It used sugar free apricot preserves, chicken broth, and black pepper. I tried it and liked it. It reminded me of orange sauce on General Tso's chicken. You can play with the ingredients to get the Chinese taste you are looking for.
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    Here is a website with loads and loads of stirfries :-) most with calories and fat etc http://www.yummly.com/recipes/low-calorie-stir-fry-sauce
  • ksyp92
    ksyp92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i use braggs liquid aminos when i make stir fry... just like soy sauce without the sodium!
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    I make a soy based sauce.
    tamari
    chicken stock(homemade - salt free)
    minced garlic
    lemongrass from a tube
    grated ginger
    sriracha
    honey
    lime juice or rice vinegar
    sometimes sake

put in 4 cup pyrex and microwave til hot, add in a small cornstarch slurry, stir, microwave until it becomes translucent again.