Just starting to excercise...suggestions please.

Options
Hi,

I have lost 35lb so far and ready to start exercising.
I have been doing a lot of walking, I've been doing some dvd's mainly kettlercise and a Latin aerobic one.

What I'm looking for really is some ideas of good beneficial exercises. I know that really at this point it's more about building more activity into my day, but and suggestions will be gratefully received. I struggle with some things as my entire left arm is weak due to previous surgery , it is effected from shoulder to wrist inclusive.

I really am not at the point where I would want to go to a gym, I'm sure that'll come later. So ideas of things I can do by myself please. :smile:

Thank you.

Replies

• mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your fitness journey so far!!!
    5 1/2 years ago i started my fitness journey....I started with Beach Body 10 Miute Trainer....10 minutes a day! As you get stronger you can "stack" the 10 minute programs, but to begin with its 10 minutes. It is a great work out to start out.

The great thing about Beach Body is they have a 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't want to pay full price, I'm sure you could find it used on the internet.

Best of luck to you!
  • mojo75
    mojo75 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    do you have any dumbells at home? I agree the 10 minute trainer program is good but you can also look on youtube and search for beginner exercises for free. What are you goals? How much weight would you like to lose total? Great job so far. you are past the hard part alreay. Just starting and sticking to it is the hump most get stuck on
  • krumpli
    krumpli Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    All sorts of workout videos exist, and they're on youtube, too. Just try lots of different things until you find a few you like. Don't worry about it if you have to modify things. I have a pretty lousy right wrist, so sometimes I have to do some yoga poses on my elbow/forearm, and that's ok! It doesn't stop me from doing yoga, you know? So just try different things the way you want to do them, and then stick with the ones you like!
  • JoannaAndBlue
    JoannaAndBlue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Walking is really a great workout.

"Pilates for Dummies." I love it! It's tougher than it would seem. I found it at the local library. My library has a ton of workout DVDs. If yours does, it's a really great way to try out DVDs without spending a ton of money on videos you may not even like. Zumba is a really good and fun workout, too. If you don't think it is, invest in a good HRM (I like Polar FT4). You'll be able to see how many calories you're actually burning.

Also, swimming is a great workout...more than it would seem.

Perhaps biking as well.
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're off to a great start! Walking is wonderful, and swimming is a similar beneficial cardio exercise that is easy on your joints and wont compromise your previous injuries. If you want to start intensifying your walks, try some hills, or strap on some ankle weights.

If you are hesitant to go to the gym just yet, you can still stay active at home - not just with videos and crunches on the ground, but housework! Maybe pick up gardening/yard work, or tackle the projects in the basement or garage you've always wanted to reorganize. You' ll feel better for having cleared the clutter, and break a sweat while you're at it!

Good luck, keep up the great work!
  • jacs119
    jacs119 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on beating cancer! Congratulations also on quitting smoking! I quit too (since 2/6/2011) and now it's diet time. I've had issues with walking due to a bunion, then bunion surgery and hope to resume walking again soon. In the meantime, I invested in a recumbent bike. I researched a lot of them before deciding on the one I bought, the Schwinn 250 biofit. It suits me perfectly since it doesn't stress my feet. I ride about 30 miles a week on it. It might be a good one for you too since it doesn't involve your arms. I also joined a water aerobics class that is held in the local high school pool and run by my town's park's and recreation department. I'm doing the second six week session of that. It's a great cardio workout and supplements the bike riding with something slightly different. I don't want to go to a gym, so these classes are great and cost just $40 for six weeks. I have some issues with my back from walking weird during my recovery from bunion surgery so I've been going to a physical therapist once a week. She gave me "homework" which are exercises to do at home for strengthening my back and pelvic floor. A tool that she had me get is an exercise ball, or fitness ball. That ball is great. It came with an instruction sheet showing lots of exercises to do with it. Those wouldn't be cardio, but strengthening your muscles will help.
    Good luck!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I did the Couch to 5k program a few months back and am now training for a half marathon. It its a great program and I highly recommend it. I have crap knees but with some videos I found on YouTube and some properly fit shoes from a local running company I was able to adjust my gait and stride and have been injury free since last November.
  • emersmurf
    emersmurf Posts: 27
    Options
    My favorite workout videos are the Leslie Sansone walking workouts. They go from 1 mile on up. You can intensify or not. You can do them online too. Good luck and congratulations! =)
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I find swimming/water aerobics to be good exercise...because it's fun....kinda reminds you of being on vacation AND if you start sweating, you can just dunk your head underwater to cool off!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    All exercise that is done safely is good. Find something you enjoy enough to do often. If you've been walking the C25k program is a great way to build up to running, if that interests you. Zumba is really fun and great exercise. The DVDs are a little pricey, but you may be able to find some used.

I'm not sure what your current fitness level is, but I currently do Turbo Fire and really love it. It's fun but also intense. I think you need to be at a certain fitness level before beginning to get the most out of it, though they do have an instructor modifying for low impact on all the workouts.

I would suggest also including some form of resistance training. Weights, resistance bands, body weight, whatever you can manage and enjoy.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of lifting weights ....they are your friend!
  • Deb_kar
    Deb_kar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much.

So many good ideas. :)

I think you tube and weights and c25k are going to be good start points for me. I still have loads to lose but i'm trying to focus less on that and more on been healthy fit and happy.

I like to mix it up a bit to and try and do 3-4 different things a week, as they say variety is the spice of life. :)
    Thanks again
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
  • Deb_kar
    Deb_kar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I've just looked up nerdfitness, it looks like it will be very helpful for me.

Thank you. :smile:
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I've just looked up nerdfitness, it looks like it will be very helpful for me.

Thank you. :smile:

You are most welcome. That is where I started, until I was able to reach a point where I could do more intensive weight lifting. I found it really helpful.